Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I guess, but then you're boosting frequencies that weren't really there in the first place. That's like buying a MG and then using an external EQ to try and make it sound better. It's hard to put into something what it doesn't already have.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #23
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #24
bAngiel01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
*Batman*

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster. It has tubes. And I have it.

Seriously, though, the tube amp is covered, and I absolutely love my Roadster. I've used the Vypyr in my dorm, and I was just wondering if there was anything else out there like the Vypyr or different/better.

So let me try to get some of this info straight:
-The HD147 is the high gain portion of the Vetta
-The Vetta and Vetta II are essentially the same, save for the Variax input and the digital out

It seems that it's still a tossup as to which is better, though, which leaves me a bit hesitant. I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks, everyone.
bAngiel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Ultimately, I think that the Vetta sounds cool and I would love to have one, but it doesn't sound like a tube amp, it sounds like a Vetta. Not a bad thing, it does it's own thing and I think it's a neat sound.

I think that if you ignore the fact that the Vetta is "modeled" after other amps and just judge the sounds it makes based on their own merit, you'll find that the digital sound is kind of cool.

If you want something different and like to tweak, go for it.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAngiel01
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster. It has tubes. And I have it.

Seriously, though, the tube amp is covered, and I absolutely love my Roadster. I've used the Vypyr in my dorm, and I was just wondering if there was anything else out there like the Vypyr or different/better.

So let me try to get some of this info straight:
-The HD147 is the high gain portion of the Vetta
-The Vetta and Vetta II are essentially the same, save for the Variax input and the digital out

It seems that it's still a tossup as to which is better, though, which leaves me a bit hesitant. I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks, everyone.

No the Vetta and Vetta II are different, but the Vetta I has the ability to be updated with the Vetta II firmware. They do have some of the same patches, but the Vetta II patches have been tweeked more (there may be a few missing and some added I really don't know).
Both amps are pretty nice , I have played a Vetta several times and it does sound nice.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 04-21-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
bAngiel01

**Update**

The trade fell through because I took too long to make a decision

Anyway, I found a fully-operational Vetta II 2x12 combo at a GC in South Carolina for $250, so I ordered it. I figured there's little risk involved since I can return within 60 days of the purchase date. It should be waiting for me when I get home next Monday for my two week summer break.

This will give me some time to A-B the Vypyr and Vetta and see which one stays, and which goes.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll be back to let you all know what the final decision is!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Cool! I am definitely interested in how they compare right next to each other. Looking forward to your report!

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #29
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I've never played a Vetta but I always hear good things about them. I'll be waiting to hear your comparison as well. If there is anyway you can record your comparisons that would be awesome.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #30
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAngiel01
**Update**

The trade fell through because I took too long to make a decision

Anyway, I found a fully-operational Vetta II 2x12 combo at a GC in South Carolina for $250, so I ordered it. I figured there's little risk involved since I can return within 60 days of the purchase date. It should be waiting for me when I get home next Monday for my two week summer break.

This will give me some time to A-B the Vypyr and Vetta and see which one stays, and which goes.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll be back to let you all know what the final decision is!

That's insane. Are you sure it wasn't just the 212 extension cab?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #31
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i had a duoverb for a while, it never sounded good. i bought it blind for like $200 quite a while ago, the cleans were sterile, the midgain was lifeless and the high gain was painful.

i could make it work to get by, but i wasn't happy with it. it took me two years to get somebody to buy/trade for it (while it was for sale i was still trying to like it). i ended up with a Trace Elliot Speed Twin, and i got the better end.

vetta's ARE cool, just IMO not as good tonally as other options.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #32
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
That's insane. Are you sure it wasn't just the 212 extension cab?

Nah, there's another one in the GC nearest me for $299...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
bAngiel01

You know, I didn't think about the possibility of it being an extension cab. The guy I talked to on the phone referred to it as an amp, and I made it clear that I was interested in an amp, not a cab, and he never corrected me. To be honest, it totally slipped my mind to confirm that it was an amp and not a cab, mostly because I didn't know that a 212 Vetta extension cab existed until this morning.

So who knows? I may be in for an unpleasant surprise when it arrives.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
bAngiel01

**Update, Part 2**

The Vetta II arrived at home today. I'm away at University until next Monday, so I won't get to touch it until then. My family opened up the box, and it is the amp, not the cabinet, so happiness abounds.

I'm really looking forward to getting to mess around with it over my two-week summer break. I'll put it through its paces and compare it to the Vypyr. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good way to get any recordings, but I'll do my best to give a good comparison.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Congrats, that's a hell of a lot of amp for that price. I'd be tempted to just keep both at that cost.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Good job getting one at that price. I love the Vetta II, but I've never found one in good condition at a decent price. Every time I get to play with one I come away smiling, but people are starting to realise they've got some value in 'em and prices just keep rising. Picked up an HD147 myself instead, love it. I wish Line 6 would bring back the Flextone/HD147/Vetta line. That was back when they were just trying to make a good sound rather than impersonating other peoples' amps. The original tones in those amps are great and now they've been scrapped entirely. I keep looking at the DT amps and HD floor units, but until they bring back Spinal Puppet, I ain't bothering.

Tip when you're comparing the Vetta and Vypyr, or just dialing in tones with the Vetta at all, is take your time. The Vypyr is intended to give you a relatively fast interface whilst still offering more variety. The Vetta is intended to offer the most variety but this comes at the cost of very unintuitive controls. Most of the best tones you'll get out of a Vetta will be dual amp tones, which you can't set up quickly. The presets in the Vetta are terrible, intended solely to show off different combinatios of features. It can take a while to sort out what it is exactly is best for you.
To use myself as an example, every time I use a Vetta I set up a dual amp tone, with one Spinal Puppet model (high bass and mids, lower treble) and one Triple Rectifier model (low bass, medium mids, higher treble). There's no preset that comes like that. With my own HD147 I almost always use the Spinal Puppet tone, and that's not used in any of the HD147's presets at all.

Also bear in mind that the Vetta's tones assume you are using V30 speakers. If you use anything else then things won't quite match up to how they may look on the screen.
Similarly, and this ties in to all the people saying they've heard Vettas and HD147s not cutting through well, you do have to dial in more mids than you would with any other amp. These amps were designed to be the kings of modelling, so they are inherently completely flat in response. If you'd put your mids at 5/10 on another amp, you'll want to put it on 7.5/10 on the Vetta. Personally, I rarely run my HD147 with the mids any lower than 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
Also, the Vetta II is a pretty advanced version of the POD HD.
No it's not. It's a common assumption that the Flextone, HD147 and Vetta use the same sounds as POD units, but their versions are actually different. For example, the JCM2000 model used by PODs is very high-gain, while the JCM2000 model in the three amps has considerably low gain. How they handle cab emulation is also very different; with PODs it is a feature mostly just used to make more realistic-sounding recordings, whereas with the amps it is used basically as an EQ preset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw

HD147 is just the high gain models of the Vetta, plus some clean ones. If you have a Vetta, you have an HD147. The models are based off the POD XT/X3 series of models, they are not the POD HD models.
Wrong on the first part. The HD147 is slightly closer to the Vypyr's 'WYSIWYG' style of operation and the order of the effects, noise gate, compressor and cab emulation are unique, orientated towards typical metal tones. The same goes for the Flextone. Though the Flextone, HD147 and Vetta are all the same family, there are a few things unique to each one, based on their intended uses.
Mostly right on the second part, with some exceptions. Some of the models in the amps are even older than that and some are uniquely updated. Again, things are tailored for the amps' intended uses.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

That's a great deal!!! I think it will be good, nice to record with for sure
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #38
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Wrong on the first part. The HD147 is slightly closer to the Vypyr's 'WYSIWYG' style of operation and the order of the effects, noise gate, compressor and cab emulation are unique, orientated towards typical metal tones. The same goes for the Flextone. Though the Flextone, HD147 and Vetta are all the same family, there are a few things unique to each one, based on their intended uses.
Mostly right on the second part, with some exceptions. Some of the models in the amps are even older than that and some are uniquely updated. Again, things are tailored for the amps' intended uses.

Do you have any source that the models are different from the Vetta? There's even claims in this thread that the Vetta 1 isn't the same as the 2 when updated to the same firmware (besides the obvious hardware differences on the digital card), but I have owned all 3, including the combo AND head versions of the Vettas, and they all sound the same

The draw of the HD147 wasn't that it sounded different on high gain, it was that it was a simple version of the Vetta that high gain players. People who didn't need all the other amps and bells and whistles of the Vetta could buy the features they'd use at a reduced price. Funny now though, because the HD147 seems to have a much higher resale value (I assume because there's not as many out there...?), when I had my Vettas, I don't think I paid over $350 for any of them, but HD147s were going for $6-700. Always found that odd - Though... admittedly I'd pay a bit more for one just cause it looks way more cool

The big downfall for the Vettas now is that there's just so many other better options out there for modeling. They were cool in their day, but even Line 6's POD HD models FAR surpass the Vettas in tone at this point. I suppose, there's always someone who might actually be going for that Vetta tone, but I personally will never own one again - Even though I did VERY well on my trades from them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
dlowe102

I found MY sound on a flextone3 xl on the brit800 channel. I call it a channel because it has a killer tone and i dont care if it models a jcm800 acurately or not i dig the flextone 3's brit800 channel. Ive yet found the exact tone from anything else. I have a hd500 and it sounds way different on the jcm800 model it sounds more like a real jcm800 BUT i prefer the brit800 on the flextone. The flextones version is alot fuller and gainier with alot of thump on palm mutes wich i think isnt really a jcm800's type sound?
dlowe102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #40
bAngiel01

**Update 3**

I got home today from University and finally had a chance to play with the Vetta II.

First Impressions:
  • It is relatively easy to use despite its appearance and novel of a manual. The buttons are clear, and the displays show you everything you need to know.
  • The cleans are fantastic--better than the Vypyr's for sure.
  • The dirty amp models are great. Mid-gain on the Vetta trumps the Vypyr, but I'm still going back and forth between the Vetta and the Vypyr to compare high-gain options.
  • The digital nature of this amp is apparent. It lacks the tube warmth for obvious reasons, but it's not bad by any stretch.
  • The best feature I've found so far is the ability to route two different amps to the two speakers. I really like the Treadplate (Dual Recto) and the Mississippi Criminal (5150) blended together. It makes most anything sound better. For example, I had trouble dialing in a to-die-for, so to speak, tone for the Treadplate. I got close to a great sound, then I blended it with the Criminal. Instant success.
  • The effects are adundant and sound awesome. It's easy to choose the effect, edit it, place it, etc.
  • I've found that I prefer to drive the amp models with the built-in Screamer OD pedal. It tightens things up and saturates the sound better.
  • The controls are a but touchy, but that's ultimately a nonissue
  • Some of the amp models were disappointing. I expected more out of the California Crunch (Mark II), but I found it lacking.
  • The global High and Low knobs are great when dealing with various volume levels. Need to turn it up? Just pull back on the global High setting, and vice versa.

That's about it for now. I can see some of the shortcomings of the Vetta, but overall, I'm very happy with it. I'll keep everyone posted as I continue comparing things and whatnot.

Rate This Thread: