Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
FlightofIcarus

Going on a gear run today! Fulltone OCD?

Hey all,

So I've found an amp head I'm gonna go check out/likely buy today! (Expect a NAD thread if it happens, after I've done enough jamming around on it first).

Now, due to what type of amp it is, it's gonna mean I'll finally be using OD pedals again. I have an MXR GT-OD that has basically just sat and gathered dust for a few years since buying my ENGL. I was thinking of bringing it with me to try out on said amp, and if I end up snagging it, I might want to go try out a Fulltone OCD on it today too.

I guess long story short, this thread is "Fulltone OCD vs MXR GT-OD". The MXR is more or less a tweaked tube-screamer style pedal to my ears. Kills off some bass, and adds mids, but has a bit more gain than a TS. It's a little noisy too IMO. What can I expect from a Fulltone? I've heard people make it sound like it's almost as good as adding a natural sounding crunch channel to a clean amp, and that it doesn't kill off the low end, but I wanna hear more opinions!
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
MatrixClaw
UG God

I haven't tried the MXR, but the OCD is quite different from the regular Tubescreamer sound, and has a lot more gain on tap. One a clean channel, with the gain full up, it could easily do rock. That being said, it really doesn't tighten up an amp as much as a Tubescream does from my experience, it does - However... make the amp sound much bigger when used as a boost. Thickens the tone up.

I really like the OCD (I had Tim @ Toy Room build me a clone, and then he added even more gain ), but I also have my Lovepedal Eternity clone from Tim as well that does a bit better of a job tightening the lowend. I probably use the OCD clone more, though. I like its thickness
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
gerraguitar

I keep telling myself that the next pedal I pick up will be the OCD. I love how that pedal sounds through fenders, but I have heard many times that it doesn't get along well with every amp. Don't remember exactly what made people believe that or what amps work better than others. So definitely try it out for a bit on the amp before you get it.

In terms of the MXR, are you considering parting with it to help fund the OCD? Because even if you end up liking the OCD more and you use it more, it's always good to have a TS pedal lying around, try stacking them together and see if you like it. I played with a guy once who stacked an 808 with an OCD and it sounded killer. MXR pedals are pretty nice to have sitting around too, sure they might be "high end entry" level pedals, but they are built to last and definitely a workingman's pedal.
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

I have the OCD and it rips, it has an absolutely massive sound. You won't be disappointed !
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
HenryB

It's without a doubt my favourite pedal that I've ever had; it's got such a great tone.

I'd recommend it 100%.
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
ikey_

neither...to many good sounding pedals out there to buy a OD that comes out of guitar center.

proshopguitar or prymaxe vintage and search.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

The trouble with this is that more than any other effect, overdrive pedals will react differently with your guitar and amp setup so the same pedal will give each person a different sound.

The result is that you can't fully know what to expect from an OCD (or any other pedal) until you try it with the rest of your setup. The same goes for the pedal you already have, you may find with your new amp it ends up being perfect for you and you don't need the OCD.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i really don't care too much for my OCD. it doesn't get along with quite a few of the amps i have used it with. it colors your tone quite a bit. as stated, it has quite a bit of gain, much more than any other OD pedal i have.

play it, see if you like it, but play it on something you are familiar with.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
I haven't tried the MXR, but the OCD is quite different from the regular Tubescreamer sound, and has a lot more gain on tap. One a clean channel, with the gain full up, it could easily do rock. That being said, it really doesn't tighten up an amp as much as a Tubescream does from my experience, it does - However... make the amp sound much bigger when used as a boost. Thickens the tone up.

I really like the OCD (I had Tim @ Toy Room build me a clone, and then he added even more gain ), but I also have my Lovepedal Eternity clone from Tim as well that does a bit better of a job tightening the lowend. I probably use the OCD clone more, though. I like its thickness

I make my dick thick too you would like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
I just got home.
I amde sooooo ****ign wated i thought it wqqs 8Am
GUSSS THT WHAT HAPPNS WHEN YOU SISTER OWND A BDAR ANF YOU GE FREEE DRINL.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: