Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Luke James

How do you know your song will suit your genre?

I wanted to ask how those of you who write deliberately for a particular genre know that when the song is taken from the basic stages (e.g. chords on an acoustic guitar with some lyrics) through the full production/arrangement/instrumentation process it will come out the other side suiting that style? Are there any measures you take? Any kind of formula you have developed for yourself?
Luke James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
mikey85123

This is a good question. I'm relatively new to song writing, and all too often I have a concept in my mind and when I get a rough recording done with some of the basic effects to get an idea, it is not what I intended.

In my experience there is only one way to remedy this. You either keep your song completely original if you like it and you take a chance (People could either love it or hate it) or you take the basic principles of the song and transform it into a genre.

For instance if you are writing a metal song and it comes out sounding too soft you might add in a breakdown section with more intense drums and some chugging. Or if youre writing a blues song and it doesn't sound "sad" enough (If that's what youre going for) you may need to slow the tempo etc.

My point is that to write a genre specific song you have to actually give in and let a little originality go because after all you are trying to make the song sound familiar so it sells or so that people recognize it.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

For me, when writing with just an acoustic what you're playing only forms part of the creation - I always have stuff like bass, drums, lead etc going on in my head so I know what the end result will sound like.
Laney VC30
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
For me, when writing with just an acoustic what you're playing only forms part of the creation - I always have stuff like bass, drums, lead etc going on in my head so I know what the end result will sound like.

I am striving to get to this point. I can really imagine melodies and accompaniment but I cannot imagine drums until I have a set in front of me to play on with the song being played in some form.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
FistOfMichallin

Dude. NEVER think of genres in regards to writing your songs. Genres are for easier navigation for macfags.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: