Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
BenDavidson
Banned

Question 1978 Gibson Firebird (Reverse) Bicentennial Model?

Anyone know what a 1978 Gibson Firebird (Reverse) Bicentennial model might sell for? Found one but the guy wants $2,500. It's in very good condition with only some of the gold plating having come off of the top of one of the banjo tuners on the front.

This is not the 2006 model I had asked about in a previous post. It's an actual 1978 model from what I can tell from the pics. It also is a vintage sunburst with OHSC although there is a band's name stenciled on the front of the case. The stencil is neat (as in not sloppy) and doesn't detract much from the case. No other stickers or such.

Thanks for any information!

Last edited by BenDavidson : 04-22-2013 at 08:38 AM.
BenDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Silver77

Shouldn't a Bicentennial model be a '76? Like 1776 the year the country was formed?
Silver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
5_Years_Dead
Banned

That piece of Chinese crap isn't with the box it came in.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
BenDavidson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_Years_Dead
Gibson Firebird 76 ( 1976-1978 )

The Firebird 76 had a reverse body shape, gold hardware , 2 pickups , an unbound rosewood fingerboard , 4 knobs , and straight through banjo tuners with metal buttons . These guitar were made in various colors.

Here's the case it came with and it matches other cases I've seen from Firebirds from this series.

It's not Chinese. Serial number matches type and form seen on other models from same year.

I will likely trade him a Les Paul Classic and some cash for this Firebird. Thanks for the ignorant replies anyway. Thought someone here might have a clue, but apparently most of you are children using your mother's computers.

Last edited by BenDavidson : 04-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
BenDavidson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver77
Shouldn't a Bicentennial model be a '76? Like 1776 the year the country was formed?
'76' is printed and pressed into the body of the bird on the pick guard on all 1976-1978 models. It's correct in that respect and correct for a '78 model as represented.

Last edited by BenDavidson : 04-22-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDavidson
Anyone know what a 1978 Gibson Firebird (Reverse) Bicentennial model might sell for? Found one but the guy wants $2,500. It's in very good condition with only some of the gold plating having come off of the top of one of the banjo tuners on the front.

This is not the 2006 model I had asked about in a previous post. It's an actual 1978 model from what I can tell from the pics. It also is a vintage sunburst with OHSC although there is a band's name stenciled on the front of the case. The stencil is neat (as in not sloppy) and doesn't detract much from the case. No other stickers or such.

Thanks for any information!

Jealous! The last '78 Bicentennial model I saw sold for 4K USD, in pristine condition.

Last edited by Ippon : 04-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Looks good to me!

What's the band name? Chain Lighning?

Interesting little band:
http://www.chainlightningband.com/about/default.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_Years_Dead

why all the hatin?
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
BenDavidson
Banned

Now I have to decide if I want to part with my '99 Les Paul Classic 1960 RI and $1,000 for this vintage '78 Firebird Bicentennial or keep the Les Paul and buy a like new '06 Firebird in like new condition for $1,300. Don't have $2,500 to spend on a guitar at this time and really shouldn't be buying another guitar, but you guys know how it is I think.

Not sure the vintage Firebird will appreciate enough to part with my Les Paul. I think I'd rather have a Les Paul and a Firebird even if the Firebird isn't vintage.

Here's my Les Paul. It doesn't have a fancy flame top but it is a beautiful blond\natural that has really grown on me since acquiring it a few months ago. Looks better in person. Not sure the picture adequately shows what grain is visible in the wood.

Last edited by BenDavidson : 04-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
BenDavidson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
why all the hatin?
Really. Was wondering that myself. Thanks for your post DC.

Maybe it's just that this is my second post and some think I shouldn't be jumping in so quickly like this? However, I needed (need) information and couldn't think of a better place to seek it.

Last edited by BenDavidson : 04-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
BenDavidson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Looks good to me!

What's the band name? Chain Lighning?

Interesting little band:
http://www.chainlightningband.com/about/default.html
Looked through their image gallery and didn't see anyone playing the Firebird. That's likely a good thing as the Firebird might not be in the condition it's in if it were gigged.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
cdhowell

Just my opinion, Keep the LP and go with a newer Firebird man. Although what your offering the guy seems fair, to me seems like you would be giving up a lot with the trades. You like the Les Paul you already have. Do you have some special connection or reason for a 76' Firebird? I know sometimes there is a specific reason people want certain guitars, example: a family member owned one. first favorite band played one etc. If thats not the case and you would just like to have a firebird, keep what you have and know and go with cheaper and newer.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
desperatechris
Banned

Quote:
Really. Was wondering that myself. Thanks for your post DC.

Maybe it's just that this is my second post and some think I shouldn't be jumping in so quickly like this? However, I needed (need) information and couldn't think of a better place to seek it.

No problem! But i would keep the Les Paul, it looks really cool
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
rander7917

Damn that's tough. See if he would take something else in trade for it. I wouldn't let go of that paul man
rander7917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
BenDavidson
Banned

Going to keep the Les Paul and purchase the 06 Firebird. Think that's the best option for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #16
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Going to keep the Les Paul and purchase the 06 Firebird. Think that's the best option for me.

that is what i would do. you already got and know what you like.

there seems to be a misconception that vintage instruments are great and play effortlessly, etc. that isn't always the case. i have played several 50's and 60's (real from those years) the guy i know is pretty old and bought them all new. most were used and didn't play that great or even really feel that great. three refrets, etc. they are beauifiul and some are very nice. he is a guy i play open mics with and i stop by once in a while where he lives.

for actual playing i have never played a vintage guitar anywhere that would compete with a plek'd gibson.' unless somebody payed a hell of a lot of money on a really good luthier.

however the vintage guitars in general have the mojo. and IMO they sound better unamped, and amped (not in every case) but

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: