Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

A&I Mixtape 22/4 - This and that.

Just a few bits and bobs thrown together really. I had no real theme like last time. Was tempted to do an English themed St. Georges day theme for tomorrow, but given St. George is about as English as Tutankhamun, so it seemed a little pointless.

So here you have it. Some you'll know, some not.

http://8tracks.com/annihislater/ug-...wn-together-mix

Skrillex - Scary Monsters On Strings (feat. Cliff Martinez and Greg Tripi) (Spring Breakers OST, 2013)
Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds. No silly electronics. Spring Breakers was one of the better films I've seen this year, and I love the melody, made even better by Cliff Martinez on his Cristal Baschet. The arrangement has real significance in the film too, which I like, it represented something rather than just being there for the sake of it.

Dead Can Dance - The Love That Cannot Be (Live Happenings I-IV, 2012)
Also known as Devotion by Lisa Gerrard. I recently got into Dead Can Dance (more of that later) and a friend sent me some live stuff, and this track in particular really stood out and made me pay attention. Captivating is the only word for it.

Seirom - Never Want To Feel That Way Again (1973 (Disc 2: Lovesongs For Black Hearts), 2012)
Only got into them last week, but this album is blowing me away. Such much atmosphere, depth, density, intensity and melody. I feel like I find new things with every listen. It's ticking all my musical boxes at the moment. One of those bands you wonder how anyone could not like it.

Spiritualized - Broken Heart (Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, 1997)
Like Musical onomatopoeia or something. Such a heart breaking song musically. Just a beautiful track that I decided to chuck in. No real current significance like a lot of the others.

Malory - Spring (Not Here Not Now, 1999)
The post Slowdive answer to Slowdive? Very much so I'd say. Very much in the same vein as early Slowdive. Melodic, dream pop-esque shoegaze. This album has been demanding a lot of my attention these last few months, and I think it deserves to be heard by more people as it's bloody good.

Stray's Don't Sleep - For Blue Skies (Strays Don't Sleep, 2006)
I've never made a secret for my love of One Tree Hill, and watching it back I was reminded how much I love this song too. Such a simple yet powerful song that builds to a really subtle crescendo. Fantastic album from a band who seemed unfortunately short lived, and who I rarely see many people talk about.

David Bowie - Subterraneans (Low, 1977)
Someone told me to get Low as they considered it his best. I listened to the first half and was a bit indifferent. But then I heard the second half, and I think they might be right. How much of it Bowie composed himself I don't know, but it's a fantastic piece of music that's a stunning end to the second half of the album. I'm probably quite late to the party with this one, but I feel it fits the mood of the mix so far.

Dead Can Dance - Summoning the Muse (Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, 1987)
I'm justifying a second DCD track purely because the first was originally composed just as a Lisa Gerrard track. Plus this is just to incredible a track not to include. I don't really know what to say about it. It just seems to tap into some primal ethereal energy and create a song both commanding and beautiful. I'm a sucker for bells, and atmospheric music and anything with that sort of archaic folky vibe. And this has all of them in spades. It just seems to create something that transcends mere music as pretentious as that sounds. I'm sure I'm late to the part with these guys too, only getting into them last month, but you know what they say, better late than never.

Slowdive - Avalyn II (Slowdive, 1990)
Slowdive are the dogs bollocks. This is a conclusion I came to after nearly a month of playing nothing else but. The first 3 EP's and album are for me near perfect as far as shoegaze goes. And even as an 8 minute instrumental I feel this manages to surpass a lot of the other so called classics of the genre from around that time.

Soror Dolorosa - The Figure of the Night (No More Heroes, 2013)
And last but not least I thought I'd pick up the pace with a track from possibly the best album this year. I'll let the music do the talking here.

So enjoy. If you can be arsed sitting through it, and you found something new, let me know. If you thought it was shit, let me know and I can tell you how wrong you are.

upcoming mixes
29/4 - jiminizzle
6/5 - uhh_me?
13/5 - Saint78
20/5 - Cianyx

Last edited by AnnihiSlateR : 05-06-2013 at 06:34 AM.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Going to listen shortly and I'll sign myself up for the first May mix.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

I was going to say I'll add you to the list, but it seems your modding powers enabled you to beat me to it :p

What did you make of it if you got round to it?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Really liked that Malory song. Is the rest of the album up to that level?
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Yeah definitely. A very Solid, very consistent album. Every song sounds coherent as an album, but without falling into the trap of being 10 versions of the same song.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Can you sign me up for the next spot please?

If you just got into DCD, don't forget to check out their solo stuff. It's also pretty good

Last edited by Cianyx : 05-06-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Cianyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Done, and I will.

Also it seems jiminizzle forgot too.

Rate This Thread: