Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
JRoyall
UG Newbie

Start with which scales????

Hello I am a moderate guitar begginer and I have been playing for 2 months and I consider myself to be pretty well developed for withing those months. I am a pretty quick learner when it comes to music. My question is what scale are the main scales I should learn, I know there are a bunch i mean a bunch of scales, and I dont know where to dip my hands into the bunch. I want to start learning to play alittle bit of lead guitar and what are some of the more significant scales to learn. So far I have only been working on these. http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php .

Thanks a bunch and I love this community and keep it up.
By the way please add me as a friend since I joined only 2 days ago.
JRoyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
metalimaster
User

go for pentatonic cos it's pretty simple to learn all the shapes in it...... that way u can move up an down the fret board an ppl who have no musical knowledge will think ur the king

also........... e minor cos it is so damn metal!!!!!!!
metalimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
JRoyall
UG Newbie

Thanks so the what is the penatonic like is it just a major scale just broken up. And what are the most common Rock/Classic Rock and Blue Scales!!! Thanks For your input
Old 03-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
geetarmanic

Many recommend the A minor pentatonic scale to start with... i will too! There was a free scale book with a recent issue of Total Guitar magazine and next to the A minor pentatonic it said: "If you only learn one scale from this book, learn this one."

You might find this resource useful: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?
geetarmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Don223

I recently watched some of the Speed Kills DVD with Michael Angelo Batio and he played some pretty cool stuff using this scale:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/gu...=Major&get2=Get

I certainly don't have his speed but I can play some of it slowly and I think it sounds pretty cool. Shows you what you can do with a scale to make it not sound like a scale.

Regards,
Don
Don223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
pinksalmon
UG Newbie

musicians institute guitar fretboard work book and the guitar grimore book of scales and modes. ive learned the major scale in all keys and am working on the minor and pentatonic in all keys at the moment. wanted to learn it and these have got to be the best books for a full understanding of theory on scales and modes. And i think you should start with the major scale, if you know that its a ton easier learning any other scale i think.
pinksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #7
Allycuk

hi,the major scale and the two minor scales is what you want to learn,then the pentatonic ,after you got those basics down then you can go after all types,myxolodians,lydians etc,etc(don't think i spelled myxolodian right,but it's not a spelling contest)
Allycuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Axe Murderer

Sorry bro, but after two months you are not a "moderate beginner". Youre a stone cold BEGINNER. Expect to be that why for awhile. In fact, your thread is proof of that.

Nothing wrong with that though. Everyone is a beginner at everything at one time or another.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

You have to start with the major scale when learning theory as everything else leads back to it.

However, you should probably hold off a little while with you being so new. You can't play lead unless you're a competent rhythm player, a big part of soloing is understanding which notes work over the underlying chords so you need to be pretty good with chords.

Learn loads more songs from all genres but hold off on learning to play the solos, instead learn them by ear. Learn to recognise and hum along to them...if you have the sound of a solo memorised you'll find it much, much easier to learn to play it. Also, the easier it is to memorise the sound the easier it's likely to be to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
JRoyall
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Murderer
Sorry bro, but after two months you are not a "moderate beginner". Youre a stone cold BEGINNER. Expect to be that why for awhile. In fact, your thread is proof of that.

Nothing wrong with that though. Everyone is a beginner at everything at one time or another.

I know I was just replying that I am a pretty quick learner and I can play as of right no 13 songs mostly classic rock and punk. But I heard learning scales is very important and I wanted to know which ones I should start out with.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
SnoDog

Oh great, not another one of these

"look guys!!11!1!1! ZOMG i only been play for xxx months and i already kno xxx songs and can shred like petrucci!11!!1!1! i am bestest!1!!~~!!!!"

threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibokun
Now that I've been playing guitar hero for like 2 years and Stepmania for 4, my fingers are blazing fast.
SnoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Ze_Metal
UG's Blood Tsunami Addict

He's actually asking for help, hence the title. The threads you are referring to are "How am I doing?" Threads which is basically full of BS.
Ze_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #13
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyall
I know I was just replying that I am a pretty quick learner and I can play as of right no 13 songs mostly classic rock and punk. But I heard learning scales is very important and I wanted to know which ones I should start out with.

Scales are very important in the greater scheme of things, it's just that there's still a fair bit of stuff to concentrate on that's going to be of more use to you right now.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
soadrocker856

I consider people "moderate beginners" if they've played for a year, not two months. The thing about new guitar players, the ones who have played for <6 months, don't realize how badly they suck.

Pentatonic is a good place to start. Scales are the 2nd most important thing to becoming a good guitar player. Music theory is 1st. Scales help tell people what to play, theory help tell people how to comprehend what they play, the proper way (proper may sound strict, but improper playing is just s**t).
soadrocker856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
steven seagull
not really a seagull

scales ARE music theory

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
JRoyall
UG Newbie

God some of you guys are reall ass holes and pick a post to pieces and critique every frickin word. I dont give a ****e what you thinka begginer is or moderate begginer all I am asking for what scales to start off with in my journey of learning guitar. From what I have hear the penatonic scales are the easiest to learn, and to incorrporate into your music and soloing. Am I right or wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoDog
Oh great, not another one of these

"look guys!!11!1!1! ZOMG i only been play for xxx months and i already kno xxx songs and can shred like petrucci!11!!1!1! i am bestest!1!!~~!!!!"

threads.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
ccrnnr9

I am a beginner as well and my teacher had me learn all the blues scales. I found it easy to focus on one key. I started on E and learned to play E blues and E pentatonic all up the neck. Then when you get those finger patterns down, you pretty much just have to know where the root note from each scale is and play start from there with the same fingering pattern (for the most part). I found that to be a nice way to get started. Also, you will find some scales fit your style better than others so it will allow you to do some improvising on those scales/keys to practice some lead rifs.
~Nick
ccrnnr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyall
God some of you guys are reall ass holes and pick a post to pieces and critique every frickin word. I dont give a ****e what you thinka begginer is or moderate begginer all I am asking for what scales to start off with in my journey of learning guitar. From what I have hear the penatonic scales are the easiest to learn, and to incorrporate into your music and soloing. Am I right or wrong?

I already told you.

The major scale.

Quote:

...it's a seagull

Quote:

Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
JRoyall
UG Newbie

thank you for your input I think I'm going to learn the major then minor and then penatonic. One question when practicing should I practce wirt a metronome and star out slow do it untill I perfect it then bump up the speed?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
soadrocker856

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull

scales ARE music theory

No ****. Any part of music, such as chords and scales, are a part of music theory. Anybody can learn scales but still be oblivious to all of music theory. Try being less of a smartass.
soadrocker856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: