Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Second EP

Been working on a few songs, wondering on the sound and quailty, so far all recorded in my sitting room with minimal gear and cost.
Will crit on any links posted.

https://soundcloud.com/indy_fire/sets/indy_fire-ii
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
thesoundray
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Enjoyed that, was a little short maybe as an album, would love a few more tracks.

Really liked the guitar's entrance to the track on Grime. Nice tone on the riff. Personally would like a fuller bass, not as dominant in terms of volume but richer and really able to feel it. Great track, stayed interesting. The end of that solo was perfect, well executed. Didn't like the fade, could be smoother but nice song.

What It Wants sounded too similar to Grime as it started, maybe place it somewhere else on the track listing to reduce the familiarity. Drums a little thin on the kick and toms (for my taste). Very cool riffs in that one, the breakdown about halfway in was just what I wanted to hear before I knew I wanted to hear it. Fade out uneven, kept hearing that crash on the drums. Minor complaint.

Blues Jam: yea, knew what I was getting on that first bend. Then the drop out, nice! Really enjoyed it. Then it was over! Very short and sweet but nice little piece.

The guitar harmony on Black Smoke Chain was bliss, really liked it. Seemed to get a little louder and quieter at times, not sure if that was intentional. If it was maybe a little more emphasis on it.

Might give the rest another listen later before I say anything on them, just lost concentration a little. TV just got good but great playing and some funky, heavy tunes goin on there. Rock on!
thesoundray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
aaron aardvark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Indy_Fire,
"Grime": bizarre/interesting intro. Not sure if it's a compression thing, though the guitar volume keeps pumping in & out in a strange fashion. I like the guitar riffs & drums. Nice lead guitar (except for the pumping volume). Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1596744
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus
 
Joshua1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Grime - Intro was p cool, kind of reminded me of the Space Ghost intro theme for some reason. Your riff around the :50 mark sounds pretty familiar, not sure what from but I feel like I've heard it before. Song kind of has a soundgarden vibe to it, its just missing the vocals. Solo was decent, fits for the style. I feel like something is missing from the song though, it just doesn't feel full to me. Maybe you need something in the high-ends to fill it out? Not quite sure.

I make instrumental music too, but I feel like this song is one that you really need vocals over it for it to work, feels like a song written with the intent of vocals to be over it.

Critic back please http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1597405
__________________
LISTEN TO MY NEWEST HITS @ SOUNDCLOUD
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
Download my Visual Novel here Information about it here
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundray
Enjoyed that, was a little short maybe as an album, would love a few more tracks.

Really liked the guitar's entrance to the track on Grime. Nice tone on the riff. Personally would like a fuller bass, not as dominant in terms of volume but richer and really able to feel it. Great track, stayed interesting. The end of that solo was perfect, well executed. Didn't like the fade, could be smoother but nice song.

What It Wants sounded too similar to Grime as it started, maybe place it somewhere else on the track listing to reduce the familiarity. Drums a little thin on the kick and toms (for my taste). Very cool riffs in that one, the breakdown about halfway in was just what I wanted to hear before I knew I wanted to hear it. Fade out uneven, kept hearing that crash on the drums. Minor complaint.

Blues Jam: yea, knew what I was getting on that first bend. Then the drop out, nice! Really enjoyed it. Then it was over! Very short and sweet but nice little piece.

The guitar harmony on Black Smoke Chain was bliss, really liked it. Seemed to get a little louder and quieter at times, not sure if that was intentional. If it was maybe a little more emphasis on it.

Might give the rest another listen later before I say anything on them, just lost concentration a little. TV just got good but great playing and some funky, heavy tunes goin on there. Rock on!



thanks for the reviews.
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
Indy_Fire,
"Grime": bizarre/interesting intro. Not sure if it's a compression thing, though the guitar volume keeps pumping in & out in a strange fashion. I like the guitar riffs & drums. Nice lead guitar (except for the pumping volume). Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1596744


Dunno what to say about vols. I ain't a mix master just write and record.
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1207
Grime - Intro was p cool, kind of reminded me of the Space Ghost intro theme for some reason. Your riff around the :50 mark sounds pretty familiar, not sure what from but I feel like I've heard it before. Song kind of has a soundgarden vibe to it, its just missing the vocals. Solo was decent, fits for the style. I feel like something is missing from the song though, it just doesn't feel full to me. Maybe you need something in the high-ends to fill it out? Not quite sure.

I make instrumental music too, but I feel like this song is one that you really need vocals over it for it to work, feels like a song written with the intent of vocals to be over it.

Critic back please http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1597405


Vocals are missing. I always write with spaces left for a singer to fill in. Might get drunk and do it myself.
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
aaron aardvark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Indy-fire,
Thanks for the reviews! Now reviewing 'What it Wants': very cool intro. Guitar riffs sound great, though I still get some of that pumping volume effect happening again at times. I think on this song it might be compression of the drums (especially the cymbals?) that is pumping the volume. I would be curious to hear this song with no compression (unless you already have zero compression). Maybe it is the cymbals interacting with the guitar that gives that effect for me.

Last edited by aaron aardvark : 04-27-2013 at 02:53 PM.
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron aardvark
Indy-fire,
Thanks for the reviews! Now reviewing 'What it Wants': very cool intro. Guitar riffs sound great, though I still get some of that pumping volume effect happening again at times. I think on this song it might be compression of the drums (especially the cymbals?) that is pumping the volume. I would be curious to hear this song with no compression (unless you already have zero compression). Maybe it is the cymbals interacting with the guitar that gives that effect for me.


I have a limiter and and compression added. could they be the cause?
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
dunno if this version has the pumping vols or not.

Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.