Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Doomball

Learn a solo really fast

Hey guys

I'm going to cut it short. I got less than one week to learn highway to hell solo. I've got it down in slow speed, but I need to be able to play it in full speed, in front of a audience in less than a week.

What advices do you guys have to tackle this problem?

Thanks in advance
Doomball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
mark.bark
Laugh often and sleep in

Go out and find cider vinegar, rub it on your hands before you learn the solo. This multiplies the effect of muscle memory and you should have the solo down within 15 minutes.

However, before you go to sleep tonight night you must shave the left side of your face otherwise the effects will wear off

Tomorrow practice the solo again for around 15 minutes without any cider vinegar, if it has worked you should be able to nail it!

If not.

Just keep practising it
mark.bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

I actually don't know the highway to hell solo believe it or not. I'm one of the few people in this world who can't stand ACDC but anyways..

Depends how much faster the solo is compared to what you're used to.. If it's much faster than you're comfortable with then there's no way you'll be able to play it up to speed properly within a week. It's just not gonna happen. Sure you can take shortcuts, change some parts up a bit to make it easier on yourself which i wouldn't recommend anyways, but with the time you have if it's too beyond your abilities then i'd say there's no hope of you doing it justice in a week.
Sorry to be cynical bro but that's just how i feel.

Otherwise just play the **** out of the solo to a click track and don't be a pussy.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.bark
Go out and find cider vinegar, rub it on your hands before you learn the solo. This multiplies the effect of muscle memory and you should have the solo down within 15 minutes.

However, before you go to sleep tonight night you must shave the left side of your face otherwise the effects will wear off

Tomorrow practice the solo again for around 15 minutes without any cider vinegar, if it has worked you should be able to nail it!

If not.

Just keep practising it

10/10 Would read again
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 04-23-2013 at 01:15 PM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Doomball

Yeah i didnt think id nail it within a week but im going to give it a shot without shortcuts anyway.

But most efficient way is going slow until its good, then up the tempo and repeat right?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
stormtrooper887

put your fingers in your bum for 15 mins each

you'll be able to play anything fast then

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
stormtrooper887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

don't overpractice. if you feel like you're hitting a wall, come back to it in half an hour or something. spread out your practice sessions like this if possible.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Doomball, ignore some of the comments above, they seem to have escaped from The Pit.

But when I want to learn something quickly, I just lock myself in a room I'm really comfortable being in. Then I concentrate on repeating the solo slowly, but flawlessly, certain number of times (I usually go in laps of 50). Try to repeat that as many times as you can.
You can also try to imagine some kind of abstract connection to the guitar, because it can make the practicing less boring.

If I seem like a guy you would believe, I would tell you that I learned sweep picking in a week that way (and I have never even tried to sweep before that). If I don't... Oh well.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
ne14t

Keep practicing it at the fastest pace that you don't make any mistakes at, do this like 15 times then increase your tempo gradually till it becomes hard again, practice the crap out of it till you can play it perfectly another 15 times, rinse and repeat till you are at the desired tempo. I learned the solo from Whole Lotta Love in 5-6 days doing that, now it just feels natural.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Doomball

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try practice it flawlessly until I'm ready to up the tempo.

Never practised bends that much, and this solo is killing me but anyhow, back to practice!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
RickyThomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomball
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try practice it flawlessly until I'm ready to up the tempo.

Never practised bends that much, and this solo is killing me but anyhow, back to practice!

Don't worry about JUST being able to play it at the right tempo/speed... work on your bends. that's another thing that typically takes a while to get right. If you bend to the wrong note you can destroy an entire solo. There's alot of muscle memory in being able to bend to the right pitch all the time.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Xeus
I drink and fight

Be sure to be able to sing or hum the entire solo from memory. I find that helps me

Manchester guitarist available. Blues rock/ "alternative" krazy_konzi@yahoo.com
Xeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Just go on YouTube and find a video that breaks it down for you. I'm sure some eight year old is out there with a vid for you to learn from.

I haven't heard the song in awhile, but its AC/DC, how difficult can it be?
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Ok, just watched it. It appears to be pretty simple in the key of A. Just some minor pentatonics played in a few different positions. My advice, seriously (and I know its difficult to take me serious sometimes), is to break it down into the three or four parts that make it up and work it out. Keep it simple, like Angus does. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Doomball

yep, im currently having trouble with 3 or 4 locations (about 1 bar each) which im slowing down and practising. The rest is ok at the moment, but i think the shit will hit the fan once i go live :p

Thanks for the tips
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
RR24Metul

Try practicing it to a faster tempo than the recorded version. Yeah it'll sound like ass, but this method works fairly well. It's called "Pushing the Envelope". You need to get used to playing at quicker speeds and it's a great way to get a head start. Again, it'll sound like ass at first, but after you play it faster than normal for a bit, try going back to the normal temp again.
RR24Metul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

You can totally learn an AC/DC solo in a week. Just practice consistently.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR24Metul
Try practicing it to a faster tempo than the recorded version. Yeah it'll sound like ass, but this method works fairly well. It's called "Pushing the Envelope". You need to get used to playing at quicker speeds and it's a great way to get a head start. Again, it'll sound like ass at first, but after you play it faster than normal for a bit, try going back to the normal temp again.

That's actually great advice.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
zhongwen
Banned

Depends how muchwww.louisvuittonend.com
faster the solo is compared to what you're used to.. If it's much faster than you're comfortable with then there's nowww.louisvuittonend.com
way you'll be able to playReplica Handbags,Replica Wallets For Sale
it up to speed properly within a week. Replica Handbags,Replica Wallets For Sale
zhongwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhongwen
Depends how muchwww.louisvuittonend.com
faster the solo is compared to what you're used to.. If it's much faster than you're comfortable with then there's nowww.louisvuittonend.com
way you'll be able to playReplica Handbags,Replica Wallets For Sale
it up to speed properly within a week. Replica Handbags,Replica Wallets For Sale

Hahaha what the hell. This is the most ridiculous adbot i've ever seen
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR24Metul

I honestly think that's crappy advice.

Speed is irrelevant here as it's not the issue. The issue is being able to play it correctly, and the only way you can do that is by starting slow and building gradually. Playing fast and incorrectly isn't going to benefit you in any way, it's just a waste of valuable practice time. You might think that's it' somehow made things easier but any percieved benefit is just a placebo effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: