Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
scottco86

Jackson Kelly Pickups

oKay...so i tried to sell my jackson kelly JS30KE on kijiji for 225$ and there were no takers. Now my plan is to spend some money and put better pickups in it and then maybe i will want to play it again. It has the jacks CRV humbuckers in it and i dont know whether to put EMG 81/85 in or perhaps the H4/H4A passive humbuckers in. Lets argue over what i should do

Last edited by scottco86 : 04-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
scottco86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
danvwman

BKP Blackhawks!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i had a guitar with the hzh4's in it, they were pretty bad. i don't know if they have changed at all, but i just threw 81's in it (had two on hand).

what are you 'wanting' out of your pickups?
genre? budget? other gear? etc.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
scottco86

my budget is 200-250 which is enough for the 81/85's or the H4/H4A's. I am looking for something that will have a good clean tone for blues. My other guitar has seymour duncan blackouts and you can get a ton of different tones out of them. I have never bought pickups before and never thought much about them so i dont really know what i am getting myself into or what to look for
Old 04-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottco86
my budget is 200-250 which is enough for the 81/85's or the H4/H4A's. I am looking for something that will have a good clean tone for blues. My other guitar has seymour duncan blackouts and you can get a ton of different tones out of them. I have never bought pickups before and never thought much about them so i dont really know what i am getting myself into or what to look for

i play one of two les pauls pirmarily for blues, one has burstbuckers and the other 490R 500T (stock was a 498t just swapped out). that isn't a lot of help for you, but...

could you be more specific with blues? what amp are you using? are you feel inclined to go for actives on another guitar?

SRV and clapton are both considered blues and they sound quite a bit different. if we had more of what you liked we would be able to help you out.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
scottco86

my amp is a traynor ycv50. SRV clean tone is more of what i am wanting to get out of it. I have a boss OD-2 pedal for a boost and the pedal can keep the clean tone if i want it to and just boost the volume.

Rate This Thread: