Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bass Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Spaz91
Turd polisher

UROTM April '13: Spaz91's Bits and Bobs.

Just squeezing my crap into the end of the month, don't mind me.

Are you ready for some dark and blurry photos? Sasquaatch ain't got shit.

Bass Number 1: Lodestone Jazz Bass, Fretless.

Body: Stock. Alder, three-colour sunburst, weird contours. Currently being sanded to a plain finish to stop it looking like a Jaco ripoff.

Neck: Stock. Jazz. Maple, rosewood, defretted and finished using spray on lacquer.

Pickups: Stock. Identical to EMG-HZ. V/T/V/T, the two tones are wired to both pickups, giving me two low pass filters for both pickups which is dumb; probably a factory mistake.

Bridge: Stock. Big, chunky, MM-style thing; it's set into the body on one side due to the weird contours.

Strings: Ernie Ball Chrome-steel flatwounds, light guage.

I love this bass; it's weird, it sounds good, it looks good and, best of all, it only cost me £170. Lodestones are amazing basses but anyone who has them in stock is selling them for really low prices because the brand name is a flop. Interesting point, they're designed by the same guy who made the Trace Elliot T-Bass, now working for Ashdown.

Bass Number 2: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass.

Body: Stock. Agathis? Black with cracks.

Neck: Maple, vintage tint/lacquer. Precision. Matching black headstock. Vintage Tuners.

Pickup: Large pole 3.5" soapbar humbucker. Soon to be replaced by EMG 707TW. Nasty-ass preamp that's only good for cutting the honk of the soapbar.

Bridge: Gotoh 201.

Strings: D'Addario Piccolo strings. (+1 octave.)

I got this on a whim, a guitar shop in Bristol was selling it for £125 due to the cracks in the finish near the control plate. I noodled on it for a bit and then I bought it, lolstudentloan. I swapped the precision neck onto it, maple + black and rosewood + blue are better combinations. I sprayed the headstock to match because why the hell not.

Bass Number 3: Bits Precision. My Main Bass.

Body: ??? Blue. Different shades on the front and back because I'm lazy. "Roadworn" by the previous dumbass owner. I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure guitars don't get hit by hammers that often.

Neck: Maple, rosewood. Jazz (Jaguar). Matching headstock.

Pickup: Vintage by Seymour Duncan, decent caps and pots so no treble bleed on the volume.

Bridge: Bent bit of tin from the Jaguar so the covers fit.

Strings: DR Neon/K3 Orange. **** yeah.

My baby, my go-to bass. Honestly, the only time the other two get any play time is when this bass can't produce the right sound or is broken. Which is never. Regular UGers will be shocked to know I've had this bass for well over a year and still have no intentions of selling it. It is perfection. I paid £100 for it.

My Amp: Nope.

I don't have an amp. I'm such a horrible person to work with that I very rarely get to gig in my own bands so I haven't had use for one in years. In the past I've had a fondness for Kustom, Carlsbro and Ashdown but I won't be buying an amp until I can afford an Aguilar. (After I've bought an upright.)

A home I use this p.o.s, an M-AUDIO Fastrack.

This little turd is terrible. It interfers with games, it clips easily, it crashes my goddamn PC if I unplug it (clingy) and M-AUDIO were so proud of this contraption that they don't support it or even acknowledge is existence. Dickheads.

I run it into Guitar Rig 5:

Important stuff for any bedroom bassist.

So there it is; my sub-£500 rig. Jealous much?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
anarkee
oh the horror!

I have to say, I'm kinda in love with your bits Precision But I though my laptop screen had bubbles in it until I realized those were divots in the bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Loved this one. Keep up the good work for putting it together. BTW, I couldn't really understand why you "very rarely get to gig with your own bands", and therefore have no amp. What did you mean?

Also, I have that Fast Track, and i love it, have no issues with it, and i found it cheap and practical. Don't you dare to speak sh1t about it!!

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
I have to say, I'm kinda in love with your bits Precision But I though my laptop screen had bubbles in it until I realized those were divots in the bass

It's a beaut... from a distance.

It also has a load of pin holes as if someone has slammed a case lid on it about ten times. I've heard of Roadworn but this is just Idiotworn. Key scratches as well? These things don't happen to guitars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudaka
Loved this one. Keep up the good work for putting it together. BTW, I couldn't really understand why you "very rarely get to gig with your own bands", and therefore have no amp. What did you mean?

Cheers.

No band I've formed has ever gotten to the gigging stage, I'd like to say it was the fault of others but ah well. The only gigs I get are course related or helping someone out in a tight spot. As a result, I've no need for an amp because I never need to provide one, one is provided.
Quote:
Also, I have that Fast Track, and i love it, have no issues with it, and i found it cheap and practical. Don't you dare to speak sh1t about it!!

Don't you just love deafening static because it doesn't agree with Direct3D?
Or it having a hissy fit because a program tried to use it while it was the default sound device?
Or it genuinely damaging my PC simply because I unplgged it?
Seriously, it's a badly made piece of shite.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

He must have tried to give it the relic look without doing to real work to make it look played haha either way they look fine and as long as it plays well the looks don't matter too much
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...

Rate This Thread: