Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
MaddMann274
Ridding sanity

A question regarding demos and promotion

My band is planning to record a demo (1 song) this June. Would it be a good idea to use ONLY one song for heavy promotion?
Heavy promotion as in send it to magazines, use the facebook ads, radio play etc.
We have created a pretty big buzz about our band in just 5 days just by posting covers of the individual band members on our Facebook page. And got 300+ likes in 3 days.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Twitter
Reverbnation
MaddMann274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

FB likes are one thing. How many people are coming to your gigs?

That aside, I'd record two or three songs that demonstrate the range of the band.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
jumpaside

I think a fair demo is 2-3 songs. Gives people something interesting to listen to. Possibly even give it as a free download to get fans to hear your stuff all the time. If you plan to sell it via CD just charge like $2 for it so your not really losing any money. Most Magazines, Radio stations would love to have more than just one song
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

^ +1.

You always have to consider the purpose of your demo. Usually, it is to introduce fans to your music, or to get gigs. In any case, one will not be enough for anyone wanting to be taken seriously. A standard demo is three songs.

That said, there is nothing stopping you from having your three-song demo and then focusing on the one song for promotional purposes.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Facebook likes?

For a lack of a better term, "rofl".
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Leather Sleeves

Don't knock "likes", it means people are at least paying some attention.

I wouldn't worry too much about demos though, one or two songs online should be enough if you're doing a lot of online promotion to magazines or media. But videos of your band playing (gigs or practice) work just as well or better for connecting with fans. If you're just starting out no one's going to buy your demos anyway even if you're good, so don't spend too much time/money/effort on it.
Leather Sleeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
PSimonR
PSR

one or three

Most demos which arrive at A&R get 15 seconds max listen time - the go in the bin. If your one song is very very good then go for it. The expectation is 3 songs though. If they really like the first 15 seconds then they will want to sample 15 seconds from track 2 and track 3. If after that, they play the whole demo then you prob. get offered a deal!

(pure conjecture on my part... but its what I would do)

Choose the best song and do a video of it too.

Make sure it has a nicely printer sleeve.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/

Last edited by PSimonR : 04-24-2013 at 01:16 PM.
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ There's a funky assumption here that A&R people accept unsolicited demos, and that you get signed on the quality of you music.

In reality most A&R areas don't accept unsolicited demos, and are much more interested in how much money you're currently making than what you sound like.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
koslack

3 songs is ideal. It's economical (cheaper than an album), but also shows off your range.
What I don't get is why you plan on sending copies to magazines. Publications look acts that will excite their readers, and that means a band with a following, who have an album out and are touring. And that's just for a little blurb - for a full article, there better be something about the artist that is going to move units off the shelves.
If you want media coverage - and it's never a bad idea to have more press clippings - and you're a new band, approach local university newspapers with a demo and a brief bio. But even then, most good-sized papers will be looking for acts that are tearing up the indie scene and that usually means they have road experience and a decent amount of recorded material.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: