Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Jayerrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
starting to play the electric guitar

hello guys, I used to play the acoustic guitar when I was 11-13 and then I stopped because the instrument didn't play the music i like (metal, rock). Now I'm 16 and I would like to start again. A friend of mine (who does not play the guitar btw) says that first I have to learn the acoustic before I learn the electric guitar. But having to learn something that we don't like is just horrible. Isn't the electric guitar easier because of it's thinner cord and thinner design?
Help me out guys!
Jayerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
jma1111
Registered User
 
jma1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Do you mean strings by "cord"? If so, yes, when I moved from a cheapo acoustic to a low end strat (not a fake one), the difference was crazy, the action is usually lower and just much easier playing, but then again my old acoustics neck was bowing and the strings were pretty high, had no adjustable truss. Keep in mind you could have an electric, but that won't instantly make you a rock and metal cover master. Though a decent modeling amp and a guitar with humbuckers would be good for a metal beginner, practice is what will really make you sound like your favorite bands. I started on a strat, single coils, pretty bad 15 watt 3 knob SS amp... Just my 2, would wait for more replies...
Also try other music. If you like metallica, of course learn them, but a few hendrix licks, Led Zep here and there really couldn't hurt, shurely will help though! Good luck

Last edited by jma1111 : 04-24-2013 at 09:53 AM.
jma1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
There is no reason to learn on an acoustic first. And and electric is easier to play in my experience.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Jayerrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
thanks for the replies guys!
yeah sorry for cords I ment strings!
Just to understand, how difficult for a beginner is it, to play for example paranoid or enter sandman? I listen to band like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Soilwork and many others!
How much does a entry level guitar cost? The amp?
Jayerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
jma1111
Registered User
 
jma1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Depends really. For amps, a modeler would probably be the best for a good price, and versatility. Check out the peavey vypyr and the line 6 amps. I suggest the vypyr for good distortion. I have a fender Mustang II, but it doesn't have the best distortion, but it's cleans are great. But if you want good cleans and drive, vypyrs are good. As far as regular combos go, there are some nice marhalls, but they will probably cost more and have less versatility. As for guitars, I don't have the bet reccomendations, but check out Epiphone, Ibanez, and LTD. Could get a good amp for $100-300 depending on wattage amd speaker in a modeling amp, and an entry level guitar could cost from $200-400, depending on brand mainly. I suggest a used mid range ibanez RG or S. Also try out, or get your friend to try out some gear at a GC, if you like the sound, consider buying something like it.

When I started playing Metallica, Enter Sandman was one of the first songs I learned, at this point I had like 3 years of on and off guitar playing experience. It isn't too hard to learn, but the solo will take time. And remember the Sandman is one of their easier songs.
jma1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Jayerrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
thanks for all the support guys!
Jayerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
revolution24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Start on acoustic.
revolution24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
 
My Last Words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eindhoven
Start on acoustic if you want to play acoustic.
Start on electric if you want to play electric.

Don't start me on the action (string height) thing. There are electric guitars that have higher action than some acoustics, and vice versa. Also, suddenly switching from finger-bleeding high action to silly low action won't make you play like a golden god.

Muting. Muting is where it's at. Whenever people compare acoustics and electrics they always talk about action - Shut up shut up shut up! Action is something you get used to.
So you can shred on acoustics? Cool story bro. Try it on the "eashierur elctruc gitur" and you will fail horrendously, because your muting technique is complete rubbish.

Take my advice, and just start on electric if you want to play electric. String height is your first minor obstacle when playing guitar, but it will become completely futile after about 3-6 months of playing.




Oh and don't even start me on 'distortiuhn hides misthakes". Come back at me when your sweeps are clean because you've used some distortion.

Note: All the "" are not directed to you, but more towards all those "acoustic is better to start on than electric"-people in general. Happy playing!
__________________
baab

Last edited by My Last Words : 04-24-2013 at 03:42 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Start on acoustic if you want to play acoustic.
Start on electric if you want to play electric.

Don't start me on the action (string height) thing. There are electric guitars that have higher action than some acoustics, and vice versa. Also, suddenly switching from finger-bleeding high action to silly low action won't make you play like a golden god.

Muting. Muting is where it's at. Whenever people compare acoustics and electrics they always talk about action - Shut up shut up shut up! Action is something you get used to.
So you can shred on acoustics? Cool story bro. Try it on the "eashierur elctruc gitur" and you will fail horrendously, because your muting technique is complete rubbish.

Take my advice, and just start on electric if you want to play electric. String height is your first minor obstacle when playing guitar, but it will become completely futile after about 3-6 months of playing.




Oh and don't even start me on 'distortiuhn hides misthakes". Come back at me when your sweeps are clean because you've used some distortion.

Note: All the "" are not directed to you, but more towards all those "acoustic is better to start on than electric"-people in general. Happy playing!

This so much. I don't get people who say you need to start on acoustic to become good. If it doesn't inspire you, you'll never get good. If distorted guitar inspires you, you'll learn much faster than you would learn on an acoustic. Also, if you want a guitar that is harder to play on, just raise the action and buy heavy gauge strings. And voila, you have a similar feeling guitar as your crappy acoustic. But why would you want to buy a guitar that doesn't feel good in your hands?

Distortion does hide some mistakes, though. But it takes skill to be able to play cleanly with really high gain. Also, you can play with clean/low gain sound, and there you go, it won't hide your mistakes.

And @ TS: Learning basic riffs of basic rock and metal songs is pretty easy. You'll learn riffs like Paranoid, Smoke on the Water and Enter Sandman pretty fast (solos will take a lot longer). But you need to practice! It takes time to learn something. You can't learn anything instantly. It's good to learn the basic chords first because you need them everywhere. If you don't have the patience to practice, then guitar is not for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
yeah just learn the electric, it'll be fine. I disagree completely with people who say you have to learn acoustic first. Eff that, I'll learn what I want, when I want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I started to learn on the acoustic for a few weeks, only because I found one in my attick and was waiting until christmas for my electric guitar, from there on I learned on electric, no reason to do it any other way, if you want to pick up acoustic you can do it later.

If you want to play electric guitar, why would you need to learn acoustic first? Seems silly to me!
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
If you want to learn to play the guitar, you need to learn the piano. All the great guitarists play the piano.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ +1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Start on acoustic if you want to play acoustic.
Start on electric if you want to play electric.

Don't start me on the action (string height) thing. There are electric guitars that have higher action than some acoustics, and vice versa. Also, suddenly switching from finger-bleeding high action to silly low action won't make you play like a golden god.

Muting. Muting is where it's at. Whenever people compare acoustics and electrics they always talk about action - Shut up shut up shut up! Action is something you get used to.
So you can shred on acoustics? Cool story bro. Try it on the "eashierur elctruc gitur" and you will fail horrendously, because your muting technique is complete rubbish.

Take my advice, and just start on electric if you want to play electric. String height is your first minor obstacle when playing guitar, but it will become completely futile after about 3-6 months of playing.




Oh and don't even start me on 'distortiuhn hides misthakes". Come back at me when your sweeps are clean because you've used some distortion.

Note: All the "" are not directed to you, but more towards all those "acoustic is better to start on than electric"-people in general. Happy playing!


I agree with all of this 100%.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ yeah. I mean- don't get me wrong, distortion does make certain things easier, for sure. But it also makes certain other things harder. Also, I don't think it's really a crutch if you're using that extra distortion to let you play things that would be impossible (or at least much, much more difficult) to play with little or no distortion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
steven seagull
not really a seagull
 
steven seagull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southport, UK
There's no point learning to ride a horse and cart if you want to drive a car.
__________________
Actually called Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.


stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
agreed- i mean i played piano and drums first before i played (electric) guitar. Did they help? For sure. Did they help as much as starting the (electric) guitar first and putting concerted effort into learning (electric) guitar would have done? Nope.

There's some overlap, but it doesn't make much sense to me to learn the thing where there's some overlap which may help when you can just learn the thing in question where there's 100% overlap and which'll definitely help.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
RedJamaX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I pretty much did the same thing you did... started around 10 with acoustic and dropped it quick because I lost interest, then picked up and electric around 16 and have played ever since then.

Play what you want to play because it inspires you to play, that's the main factor that will keep you going and striving to get better and better... The biggest advantage that learning acoustic "first" has is that you will build finger strength faster (imho).
RedJamaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
HippieMagic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I was in the same boat as you and decided to go with an electric but let people convince me into starting with a cheap electric because everyone said I should. They convinced me to go with a grx20 and, while it is good for the money, it just wasn't what I wanted or what made me happy.

I found myself watching a ton of YouTube videos and wishing I could play like that so finally I said screw it, got a $2000 budget, picked up a 2013 SG Standard, a micro cube, rocksmith, and some necessities like strings and picks and finally started playing what I WANTED to play and I have improved SO much more and I found my passion for it. Not to mention I can't really outgrow a SG Standard.

The way I see it if I really want to play acoustic right now I can unplug it and pretend or play clean/acoustic on the micro cube for close enough sounds. It won't be exact but it will be good enough haha.
HippieMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
You decided to get a micro cube with that budget?

Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMagic
The way I see it if I really want to play acoustic right now I can unplug it and pretend or play clean/acoustic on the micro cube for close enough sounds. It won't be exact but it will be good enough haha.


It's not close at all, in any way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 04-27-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.