Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
D.R.22

Cordoba

Hi everyone I've been looking at classical guitars lately & I've had a hard time making a decision. I do not want a very expansive guitar, but one that will play and sound nicely. I kind of hope to find the Seagull s6 of classical guitars and I've heard that it might be the Cordoba C5. The problem is that there are no local guitar shops around which have a Cordoba C5, so I have not played the instrument and I am reluctant to order it without playing it, but they have plenty of Yamaha C40's. I might also want to record a few things with the classical guitar. Anyway, now I'm debating whether I should get the Cordoba C5 or the Yamaha C40?

Thanks!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
shreddymcshred

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.22
Hi everyone I've been looking at classical guitars lately & I've had a hard time making a decision. I do not want a very expansive guitar, but one that will play and sound nicely. I kind of hope to find the Seagull s6 of classical guitars and I've heard that it might be the Cordoba C5. The problem is that there are no local guitar shops around which have a Cordoba C5, so I have not played the instrument and I am reluctant to order it without playing it, but they have plenty of Yamaha C40's. I might also want to record a few things with the classical guitar. Anyway, now I'm debating whether I should get the Cordoba C5 or the Yamaha C40?

Thanks!

I can vouch for the Yamaha C40 as a great value guitar. I cannot recall if I have played a Cordoba C5.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
D.R.22

Yes I've read that the Yamaha C40 is the best "beginner" guitar, but the Cordoba C5 must be a "beginner" guitar too. I'm just wondering which one sounds and plays the best? I think I'm leaning towards the C40 since it is so extremely cheap and there doesn't seem to be such a great difference in sound with the C5. But what about recording with these?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

cordoba makes some great sounding guitars, better to me than the competition. the ones i've seen are well-built, too - i've been very impressed with them. the C5 has a solid top, while the yamaha has a laminate top, which would make the C5 a step above the yamaha, which isn't bad, btw.

i've never recorded either of them, though, but my experience with the lower end cordobas (except for the studio negra) is that they have clear sound, which is always a plus when recording unless you're looking for lush overtones.

i've also found cordoba to be very quick to respond to emails, always a plus.

btw, have you seen the C5 on the cordoba website?
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/c5
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
stealthpumpkin

Hello sir, I highly recommend the Cordoba C5, I've owned mine for quite a while now. They have the throatiest bass that i have ever heard on any guitar, really rich and vibrant. They are also louder than an average classical guitar. The C5 is probably an intermediate guitar more so than a beginner's guitar; the sound is just to pristine to be a beginners.

It has a ceder front, and mahogonny back, glossy finish. Comes with Savarez strings if i remember correctly (rich, mellow tone), but I like oasis carbons because they are brighter. If you'd like, i can post a sample of what the guitar sounds like, i have a recording system.
stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
D.R.22

Thanks for answering, the only thing I worry about is ordering the guitar without actually playing it ?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

order it from a store with a good return policy or order one into your local store if they allow returns. if you live near a guitar center, you can order it delivered to your store. if you don't like it, you can return it and get your money back.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: