Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #21
dkunick
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo
Thank you for the English lesson, I'm sure that's very helpful for the thread.
Anyways, I'm using a 5751 for the first pre-amp tube, and the rest is jj 12ax7 and 2 jj 6l6.
These are all on their way and I'll do the swapp of the pre tubes.The power I'll leave to someone else.I will take a look at the schematic of the amp and see the value of the cappacitors and figure out a way to improve tone by adjusting values.

Wait...you're ok with replacing caps and building a cab but aren't going to replace your own power tubes? Am I reading this right?
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Lol, seriously. Recapping is way more work than rebiasing power tubes.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
garfo

I just don't know and I don't have have the right gear to properly adjust the bias.Since I build a lot of guitar pedals I know my way into some stuff.But don't waste Your time on judjement, I'm happy doing my own thing, lets just all be friends and stick to the theme, please
garfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Lighten up, man. I gave you serious answers before I made the joke. Grow a sense of humour, it will prevent you from looking like a douche.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Anyways, I'm using a 5751 for the first pre-amp tube, and the rest is jj 12ax7 and 2 jj 6l6.
These are all on their way and I'll do the swapp of the pre tubes. The power I'll leave to someone else. I will take a look at the schematic of the amp and see the value(s) of the cappacitors and figure out a way to improve (the) tone by adjusting values.

Sorry. Maybe English is not your first language. It is understandable. We're not here to belittle you - we are trying to give you honest advice. Sure, we might be poking fun a bit but I think you can handle it. So if you are willing to pay someone to install the power tubes, bias the amp and replace the capacitors then I'm guessing that is going to be a minimum of $100 in labor. Do you have a quote for this work? Also, you said you were getting a Sovtek for V1. Does Sovtek make a 5751? Don't do that. Get a JAN Phillips. Is someone making these recommendations for you?

As mentioned, if you are super fond of the amp no one is going to stop you but you just said you want to improve the tone. Seriously, have you considered getting a V22 instead?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
garfo

Mr, Ich bin relaxed!!!
Just standing by my beliefs.
Anyway, my doubt was on the caps question, and that's where I'd like to stick, regarding valves, that's a different subject.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It will make **** all difference is the answer. Sort out the big stuff before sweating the little stuff. So they aren't different subjects at all. If somebody asked what brand of fuel would make your car go faster and your car had no wheels, the correct answer would be "none of them - you need wheels."
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
garfo

Thanks man, someone did suggest getting the sovtek 5751 for position 1 and So I did.The place where I buy my gear from in Europe doesn't sell Jan Philips.By the way, what is the best option for first pre tube from Jan Philips???The thing is, I'm aiming for great clean sound, all of the rest I do it with the pedals.
About the rest, normally on all of the forums I go into, people don't make fun of each other and are most of the times very polite and patient, and that is what I am used to.Anyway, I can take a punch anyday, so, there's no worries, it can be a way of saying hello )
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sorry. Maybe English is not your first language. It is understandable. We're not here to belittle you - we are trying to give you honest advice. Sure, we might be poking fun a bit but I think you can handle it. So if you are willing to pay someone to install the power tubes, bias the amp and replace the capacitors then I'm guessing that is going to be a minimum of $100 in labor. Do you have a quote for this work? Also, you said you were getting a Sovtek for V1. Does Sovtek make a 5751? Don't do that. Get a JAN Phillips. Is someone making these recommendations for you?

As mentioned, if you are super fond of the amp no one is going to stop you but you just said you want to improve the tone. Seriously, have you considered getting a V22 instead?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #29
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
These are all on their way and I'll do the swapp of the pre tubes.The power I'll leave to someone else.I will take a look at the schematic of the amp and see the value of the cappacitors and figure out a way to improve tone by adjusting values.

Like everyone else you don't really make sense. I am being honest here and not trying to rip on you.

If you are going to pull the PCB and mess around there I would highly recommend you spend the $15 or however many Euros it is for a bias probe. You can get a cheap meter for $20 that will work.

Hell, even a bias adjustment will have WAY more impact than replacing the capacitors with different materials, and potentially different values.

If you are going that crazy in there why not switch to carbon comp resistors? It may make it slightly more noisy with white noise but the aren't exactly linear which adds to the flavor.

R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
garfo

Well,im sticking with the tubes.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Well,im sticking with the tubes.

Try that first and learn to bias. I am sure some of us would be happy to help with that.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
garfo

Thanks man.I've ordered a Sovtek 5751 for position 1.I compared the price with a Jan Philips 5751 and the philips is way more expensive, is it really that better?Should I just get read of it and get a Philips?If so, what would I do with the Sovtek, would it be any good for the Phase inverter section??

Funny how this thread mutated into tubes )
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Try that first and learn to bias. I am sure some of us would be happy to help with that.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #33
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Like I said on page 1 I tired this myself... Everyone told me the same thing we are telling you.

I have never used that Sovtek so I won't comment.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

JJ's, Celestions, you're golden. Like others said, unless the caps are faulty, don't bother.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I've experimented with the JAN Phillips 5751 in several places and to me it fits best as the Phase Inverter with V1 being the next best place. I trust Cath on the Sovtek LPS but I wouldn't spend money on them otherwise. Yes, I think the JAN Phillips is worth the extra cash. I'd get one of those and then maybe a JJ 12AT7 or 12AY7 for your V1 (those have less gain if your V1 drives your clean channel - V2 drives my clean channel) and then JJ 12AX7s for the rest.

I personally would buy 1 more preamp tube than you need and do some experimenting. I personally don't like the Tung Sols because they are too bright for me but some really like them, especially for cleans.

I'm not super sure that a Vintage 30 will be right for you. We'd have to explore that a bit more. Don't get me wrong they are great speakers and work well for all sorts of genres but there are other speakers out there that may be better.

What music do you play exactly? Do you gig? Do you have an overall budget for upgrades? Who is going to do the labor? Describe your pedals and pickups and how you use them.

I'd focus your money on tubes, speakers and cabinet and then maybe guitar/pickups/pedals. Pretty much in that order. If after all of that you still feel you need a capacitor change then knock yourself out. You actually run the risk of ****ing something up worse IMO by messing with the circuit board than you do doing some of the easy stuff. Hell, there might even be some other (better) mods to that amp - like tone stack changes or transformers etc.

PS: I have a blog on how to bias an amp from scratch with a boat load of safety tips if you are interested in learning more about what is involved there. It is not nearly as complex as the blog lays out - I was just being super meticulous because I found that a lot of info on biasing skips over a lot of important steps. As mentioned, you can get a Bias Probe and a good digital meter for around $25 bucks each. I also have no clue on how to bias a Bugera V55. Make sure that whereever you buy your power tubes from that they come as a matched set.

Also check out www.hotroxuk.com for tubes.

Thanks us later

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
Bigbazz

I'm gonna be honest and I'l say I don't get the point of this, you buy a cheap copy of a good sounding amp (I'm assuming much like the other Bugera it's based on another amp, looks like a Fender perhaps), you say it sounds bland and lifeless and then you want to replace the caps which will likely make little/no difference. People suggest the other things because they offer you a better possible solution to your problem.

Biasing the amp can/will make a big difference in the sound, swapping out the valves, changing the speaker etc. Changing the caps isn't going to give you those same differences, and I'd almost suggest that perhaps you should just start looking at different amps. You can spend the money and effort changing out the caps and then realise it was next to pointless, and nothing is to say that any effect the change will have will be positive when it comes to the sound.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it though, that's your own thing, I'm just saying it's probably not going to give you the result you're hoping for, and there are easier paths that are far more likely to.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
garfo

Cool, thanks.Do you know a safe dealer in the USA or Europe that sells those Philips nos???I might get a 5751 jan philips and experiment with the positions.
Quote:
I've experimented with the JAN Phillips 5751 in several places and to me it fits best as the Phase Inverter with V1 being the next best place. I trust Cath on the Sovtek LPS but I wouldn't spend money on them otherwise. Yes, I think the JAN Phillips is worth the extra cash. I'd get one of those and then maybe a JJ 12AT7 or 12AY7 for your V1 (those have less gain if your V1 drives your clean channel - V2 drives my clean channel) and then JJ 12AX7s for the rest.

I personally would buy 1 more preamp tube than you need and do some experimenting. I personally don't like the Tung Sols because they are too bright for me but some really like them, especially for cleans.

I'm not super sure that a Vintage 30 will be right for you. We'd have to explore that a bit more. Don't get me wrong they are great speakers and work well for all sorts of genres but there are other speakers out there that may be better.

What music do you play exactly? Do you gig? Do you have an overall budget for upgrades? Who is going to do the labor? Describe your pedals and pickups and how you use them.

I'd focus your money on tubes, speakers and cabinet and then maybe guitar/pickups/pedals. Pretty much in that order. If after all of that you still feel you need a capacitor change then knock yourself out. You actually run the risk of ****ing something up worse IMO by messing with the circuit board than you do doing some of the easy stuff. Hell, there might even be some other (better) mods to that amp - like tone stack changes or transformers etc.

PS: I have a blog on how to bias an amp from scratch with a boat load of safety tips if you are interested in learning more about what is involved there. It is not nearly as complex as the blog lays out - I was just being super meticulous because I found that a lot of info on biasing skips over a lot of important steps. As mentioned, you can get a Bias Probe and a good digital meter for around $25 bucks each. I also have no clue on how to bias a Bugera V55. Make sure that whereever you buy your power tubes from that they come as a matched set.

Also check out www.hotroxuk.com for tubes.

Thanks us later
Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
garfo

So, at the moment I'l have a JJ 12AX7 for position 2, JJ 12AT7 for position 1 and JAN Philips 5751 for position 3(Phase).Power tubes will be 6l6 JJ's.
In this amp The clean and dirty channel both share pre tube 1 and 2 by the way.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #39
dkunick
Waco

You're getting a load a great advice in this thread, please understand that, on topic or not. I for one don't knock your decision to replace caps...I think I'd do the same, simply because I love tinkering and experimenting, have been tearing into electronics since I was a kid. You sound like you know your way around a schematic and simple components, why not look up the info, grab a meter and adjust your own bias. Once I made the effort (minimal I might add) I will never shy from adjusting my own again...it is literally one of the easiest adjustments I've ever made to anything.

On tubes, FWIW the 5751 will not make a striking difference for your cleans, slight but not dramatic. A 12AT7 will however do wonders for your clean channel; if cleans are what's important to you try one out. I recommend JJs, a gold pin will cost a few bucks more but will be even smoother. Eurotubes also sells a few different bias probes/adapters btw...I opted for the ProOne which also measures your plate voltage thru the base of the power tube. Very, very easy to use.

Happy modding bro. And good luck.

Edit: Looks like I was typing this when you stated you were getting the AT7...oops.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro

Last edited by dkunick : 04-26-2013 at 07:32 PM.
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Also, you said you were getting a Sovtek for V1. Does Sovtek make a 5751? Don't do that.

yeah the sovtek 5751 is a bit meh. the tube thread recommended it but i wasn't so fussed. it wasn't awful or anything, just very bland, i thought.

last time i checked tubetown in germany sold jan/phillips 5751s. I think watford valves in england does, too (but i've never used them and have heard some iffy things, whether they're true, i dunno).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: