Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #41
garfo

So my gear is a custom made strat type guitar with bubinga and ash body with two Bill Lawrence singlecoil pickups.
I use fuzzface germanium(mp39),bigmuff(superstoner/skreddy type) for power riffing,and analog delay(deepbluedelay) along with a phaser(Smallstone).
I want to Get good clean sound, but then I want to get into Kyuss/Stoner/Heavy Territory with my muff, so chuncky and powerful.
I was thinking of replacing the stock speaker with a Jensen C12 Q 8ohms,and perhaps lateral add a second one,maybe an eminence swampthang.Here is where I get lost.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've experimented with the JAN Phillips 5751 in several places and todos me it fits best as the Phase Inverter with V1 being the next best place. I trust Cath on the Sovtek LPS but I wouldn't spend money on them otherwise. Yes, I think the JAN Phillips is worth the extra cash. I'd get one of those and then maybe a JJ 12AT7 or 12AY7 for your V1 (those have less gain if your V1 drives your clean channel - V2 drives my clean channel) and then JJ 12AX7s for the rest.

I personally would buy 1 more preamp tube than you need and do some experimenting. I personally don't like the Tung Sols because they are too bright for me but some really like them, especially for cleans.

I'm not super sure that a Vintage 30 will be right for you. We'd have to explore that a bit more. Don't get me wrong they are great speakers and work well for all sorts of genres but there are other speakers out there that may be better.

What music do you play exactly? Do you gig? Do you have an overall budget for upgrades? Who is going to do the labor? Describe your pedals and pickups and how you use them.

I'd focus your money on tubes, speakers and cabinet and then maybe guitar/pickups/pedals. Pretty much in that order. If after all of that you still feel you need a capacitor change then knock yourself out. You actually run the risk of ****ing something up worse IMO by messing with the circuit board than you do doing some of the easy stuff. Hell, there might even be some other (better) mods to that amp - like tone stack changes or transformers etc.

PS: I have a blog on how to bias an amp from scratch with a boat load of safety tips if you are interested in learning more about what is involved there. It is not nearly as complex as the blog lays out - I was just being super meticulous because I found that a lot of info on biasing skips over a lot of important steps. As mentioned, you can get a Bias Probe and a good digital meter for around $25 bucks each. I also have no clue on how to bias a Bugera V55. Make sure that whereever you buy your power tubes from that they come as a matched set.

Also check out www.hotroxuk.com for tubes.

Thanks us later

Last edited by garfo : 04-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
garfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo
I just don't know and I don't have have the right gear to properly adjust the bias.Since I build a lot of guitar pedals I know my way into some stuff.But don't waste Your time on judjement, I'm happy doing my own thing, lets just all be friends and stick to the theme, please

Lol, you build pedals but you don't have a multimeter.

gooby pls
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #43
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

And how hard is it to fit a 1 ohm 5W resistor between the cathode and ground to place the multimeter across to take your bias current readings?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #44
garfo

Guys, I do have a multimeter, obviously, and I can find the gear, but I don't have the probe.
Anyway, I'm considering getting one.
P.S:The caps theme is dead, moving forward!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #45
garfo

Watford do have the Jan Philips 5751, but what's wrong with them, what have you heard??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah the sovtek 5751 is a bit meh. the tube thread recommended it but i wasn't so fussed. it wasn't awful or anything, just very bland, i thought.

last time i checked tubetown in germany sold jan/phillips 5751s. I think watford valves in england does, too (but i've never used them and have heard some iffy things, whether they're true, i dunno).
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #46
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Lol wat. you don't need anything fancy, just a multimeter. are you saying you lost the red and black probes for the multimeter? Then you don't really have a multimeter, eh?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #47
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Btw. It's JAN Phillips. The JAN stands for Joint Army Navy. ie. it's a military tube. Lots of manufacturers made JAN tubes back in the day. Phillips ones are more abundant these days which is fortunate because Phillips tubes were particularly good (they owned Mullard)
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #48
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

I haven't had problem with the JAN Phillips 5751s I have used.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Watford do have the Jan Philips 5751, but what's wrong with them, what have you heard??

i think there was a bit thread about them over at the musicradar forum...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #50
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Any idea of the link? Tried searching, no luck.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #51
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

me neither

Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #52
garfo

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthr...-Watford-Valves

This is what I've found.

It appears this thread is quite old, no???
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #53
garfo

By the way, does a JAN Philips 12at7 wins over a JJ's 12at7 goldpin for V1???
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Buy them both and tell us what you think!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #55
garfo

So, what happens if I get in doubt about three or for...didn't you hear there's a crisis going on!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaknazrael
Buy them both and tell us what you think!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
http://forum.musicradar.com/showthr...-Watford-Valves

This is what I've found.

It appears this thread is quite old, no???

IIRC there was a big thread about it, but I might be misremembering

I couldn't find it doing a quick search, though, and it was probably a year or two old, yeah.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #57
garfo

The only thing I found regarded something that happened a couple of years ago.Bu not sure.I might try to look at stores in the USA.At the end of the day I will have to pay for the shipment anyway and the dolar isn't as expensive as the Pound so, It might just be better.Any good online store in the US?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #58
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I'm a bit confused here. Maybe I need to re-read things. Are you guys saying there was some issue with the quality of JAN Phillips 5751s? I mean, I doubt it but even if there was who cares? There have been problems with JJ EL84s too. What matters is the current production. If there was ever an issue with the JAN Phillips 5751 it will be the first time I've ever heard it and I'm on here every day

I also don't remember ever hearing any on any other sites.

www.dougstubes.com is my go too. I don't think they ship overseas though - that may be your issue.

You can also check:
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com (for JJs)
www.thevalvequeen.com
Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #59
garfo

I believe they are talking about issues with the Watford store, not the valves themselves.
So, now, the more we talk about it and the more research I do, I'm quite confused.hihi
So, I'm having two valves into consideration regarding V1 and V3(PI).So, with a Jan Philips 5751 or even Jan GE 5751 I would be good to go for the V3.The Jan Philips 12at7 would be good for V1.But isn't the 12at7 Jan Philips also good for the PI place?
I'm trying to find a balance and I know it is also a matter of personal taste.Anyway, don't the NOS types 12at7 and 5751 both work in the same levels more or less?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm a bit confused here. Maybe I need to re-read things. Are you guys saying there was some issue with the quality of JAN Phillips 5751s? I mean, I doubt it but even if there was who cares? There have been problems with JJ EL84s too. What matters is the current production. If there was ever an issue with the JAN Phillips 5751 it will be the first time I've ever heard it and I'm on here every day

I also don't remember ever hearing any on any other sites.

www.dougstubes.com is my go too. I don't think they ship overseas though - that may be your issue.

You can also check:
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com (for JJs)
www.thevalvequeen.com
Old 04-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I believe they are talking about issues with the Watford store, not the valves themselves.

yes

if you're in the UK you could try hotrox.

I just bought from tubetown because I'm in northern ireland and most english-based shops rip us over here for postage- german stores usually charge less for postage, as they consider NI to be part of the UK (which it is, to be fair) and charge the same postage to all parts of the UK. But if you're in england or scotland or wales hotrox might be cheaper.

Rate This Thread: