Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Do you think Chiropractors can cure PMS/Ear aches?
Yes 2 12.50%
No 6 37.50%
Are you freaking kidding me? 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
a0kalittlema0n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chiropractors claim to relieve PMS

So I've been arguing for awhile on an app I have (Show of Hands, it's seriously great you should check it out) with a bunch of morons about how Chiropractors can cure PMS, ear infections, the bubonic plague, and freaking cancer through spinal manipulations even though they're considered a form of alternative medicine and not recognized by the American Medical Association. No one has yet to show me anything relatively close to a research article that proves this or has any research behind it, so I'm curious if you guys believe that they can do it and I welcome anyone to find me an article to show it.
__________________
Awesome Guitar Faces
a0kalittlema0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Cb4rabid
VibraTHORus Rex
 
Cb4rabid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
the only thing that cures PMS is chocolate, stupid.

























































and a good dicking
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeSlinger
It's people like you that make this stuff frustrating.


You don't understand this? How about now? Why don't you understand? This is so easy 4y(20x) graph it fggt

#teamLAD
Cb4rabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Crofty89
I came here to rock
 
Crofty89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind you!
No, they can't. Theoretically, manipulating areas of the spine can be used to relieve pain, in a similar way that stimulating pain receptors in one area of the skin or muscles can reduce pain in another. Any other claims are on a similar level of bullcrap to reflexology.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV334
Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Crofty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
DeadlyIllness
UG Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Not voting due to the lack of TS is a fag poll option.
DeadlyIllness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Crofty89
I came here to rock
 
Crofty89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyIllness
Not voting due to the lack of TS is a fag poll option.


I thought they'd changed the forum rules to include the clause "By starting a thread, you admit to being a fag", eliminating the need for it as a poll option as everyone knows that TS is always a fag.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV334
Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Crofty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian
 
TheChaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chiropractic "medicine" is such bullshit.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
 
OfCourseNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
If you have a problem with your back or other joints being out of place or bad posture then yes, a chiropractor can help you. A great chiropractor is pretty much a physical therapist (I had one who helped me with all sorts of muscle aches/joint issues/posture issues) But beyond that, all bets are off.

Can they help headaches? That depends if your headaches are caused by neck problems that can be fixed by a chiropractor. Else, no.

Cancer? PMS? The Plague? No, medically impossible.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
desperatechris
Banned
 
desperatechris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norway
Somwhere here in UG There is a PMS'ing girl finding this thread really offensiv.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
a0kalittlema0n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Let me correct one statement. Chiropractors are not "pretty much" physical therapists. Physical therapists approach all the problems from a muscular standpoint and very lightly use manipulations if absolutely necessary. Chiropractors use manipulations as the primary form of care and if they're intelligent and a good chiropractor, they suggest exercises to supplement their manipulations.

Also Chiropractors are considered an alternative form of medicine similar to acupuncture. Physical Therapy is not.
__________________
Awesome Guitar Faces
a0kalittlema0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
 
OfCourseNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by a0kalittlema0n
Let me correct one statement. Chiropractors are not "pretty much" physical therapists. Physical therapists approach all the problems from a muscular standpoint and very lightly use manipulations if absolutely necessary. Chiropractors use manipulations as the primary form of care and if they're intelligent and a good chiropractor, they suggest exercises to supplement their manipulations.

Also Chiropractors are considered an alternative form of medicine similar to acupuncture. Physical Therapy is not.

Sorry for the confusion, that's what I was trying to get across.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
a0kalittlema0n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
No problem, the wife is a PT so ya know, gotta defend
__________________
Awesome Guitar Faces
a0kalittlema0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks
 
Banjocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Suffolk
Why do you care what we think? All that matters is scientific research into whether it works or not.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
a0kalittlema0n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I did open that up so people could bring it. I couldn't find any. I figure there must be someone on here that has more time than me and an ego to prove someone wrong.
__________________
Awesome Guitar Faces
a0kalittlema0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
sam b
Crystanbul
 
sam b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Suomi
Chiropractors are good from my experience
__________________
'Veteran User of the Year' - 2013
(Life = Complete)
Newcastle United Football Club
Lewis Hamilton
Kimi Rδikkφnen
Quite.
sam b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
guitarxo
UG Senior Member
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: on your head
just because it falls under "alternative medicine" doesn't mean that it doesn't work
the american medical association is not infallible

I'm not saying that chiropractors can or cannot cure cancer but people are incredibly narrow minded about stuff like this
__________________

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
 
OfCourseNot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
just because it falls under "alternative medicine" doesn't mean that it doesn't work
the american medical association is not infallible

I'm not saying that chiropractors can or cannot cure cancer but people are incredibly narrow minded about stuff like this

+1 I messed up my back and shoulders my junior year of high school and going to the chiropractor helped me immensely. Once I was treated and could do things again I started working out and gaining strength to prevent future injury, but I couldn't have without going to a chiropractor.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Eastwinn
the body electric
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
just because it falls under "alternative medicine" doesn't mean that it doesn't work
the american medical association is not infallible

I'm not saying that chiropractors can or cannot cure cancer but people are incredibly narrow minded about stuff like this


not everyone has time to research alternative medicine practices. in that context, dismissing alternative medicine for being alternative is a good bet. there's no time to research every single one when 95% of the time it's stupid crap.
__________________
Ean Scott
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
guitarxo
UG Senior Member
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: on your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
not everyone has time to research alternative medicine practices. in that context, dismissing alternative medicine for being alternative is a good bet. there's no time to research every single one when 95% of the time it's stupid crap.

is it worth ignoring 95% of shit for 5% of gold?



(this is the worst thing I have ever typed in my life)
__________________

RIP ;c
guitarxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
Eastwinn
the body electric
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxo
is it worth ignoring 95% of shit for 5% of gold?



(this is the worst thing I have ever typed in my life)


you mean 5% of not-quite-shit? yeah, it's worth it, especially when the other option, standard accepted medicine, has a much better track record, even despite big pharma meddling and all that doo.
__________________
Ean Scott
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
 
theguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: North London.
Masseuses and physiotherapists are more effective. The latter is actually free in this country.


I try to explain this to one of my sisters yet she ignores me and wonders why the £100 a session chiropactor she's seen for the last 6 months has had little effect on her physical problems. I think she's just persisting out of stubbornness to prove me wrong now.



This pseudo-science really takes the piss. At least other popular alt medicine like homeopathy is relatively cheap.
__________________
Quote:
“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.