Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Slim-Shady

Question Overdrive/Distortion pedal suggestion

Hi I'm looking for an overdrive or distorion pedal , to play alternative rock/grunge . I know anyone would suggest the DS-1 , but i don't like that big amout of crunch . I really hate the fuzz that most of distortion pedals give . I'd rather prefer a pedal with lower gain , but clearer sound , rather then fuzzy and noisy pedals . I also hate the high amount of crunch . I think i should be looking for an overdrive pedal , but , even if it maybe can handle well the rythm parts , it may fail in the solo parts . You can't play the Smells Like Teen Spirit's solo with an overdrive pedal , it may sound too bluesy . So can anyone suggest me a pedal that sounds in the middle of overdrive and distortion range , besides the DS-1 ? I love to hear clear tones from my guitar , not noisy and fuzzy ones .

ps. I hate Metal , Thrash and all this kind of stuff
Slim-Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
gersh_uwec

I bought an SD-1, and I love the sound that it creates. It can take a clean channel, and push it into a nice overdrive. I use mine as more of a boost, with the gain low and the level cranked. I found that it pushes the front end of the amp just enough to get great tone. I have a/b'ed it with a DS-1 and a metal zone, and found that it created the widest range of usable tones. It does have a lot of mid-range in the sound, compaired to some other pedals, but I think it gives it a great classic rock tone.
gersh_uwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
bobafettacheese

To be honest, most people don't recommend the DS-1. I really like my SD-1, but it has been modded and I use it more of a boost. There are a lot of great TS style pedals out there. I would check out some Pro Guitar Shop demos as well as other demos to get an idea of what you want.

You might want to include a budget/tones your after (for example/reference) and where your looking to buy that way we can help.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
ragingkitty
meow?

ZOMG! Is it the REAL Slim Shady??? O.O

What amp? It'd be easier to help if we know what you're playing through.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

What your playing through is important. I don't think a TS type pedal is the kind of sound he's after. But honestly, I'm not sure what pedal is.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
wat docdude

I think perhaps one of these would get the job done. It's got a sort of blend-able overdrive and distortion. Is it my favorite overdrive or distortion pedal on their own merit? No. Is it pretty suitable for what I think you're going for? Yes.

I can bust out some pretty good Smells Like Teen Spirit tone with it just a hair to the distortion side of the color knob. If I'm looking for a more distorted "fizzy" sound I just keep eeking it to the distortion side until I get what I want. On the other hand if I'm going for a more crisp/crunchy sound I slap the color knob to 9 o'clock and it sounds pretty good.

You could also go with just a Tubescreamer-ish pedal. Maybe a Badmonkey.
wat docdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Slim-Shady

Eh i set that username 1 year ago , it was the first name that came in my mind .

I mostly practice through my friend's Behringer 30w amp , solid , i dont know the model . I use a Digitech rp200 MFx with my telecaster , and i play Nirvana , Blur , Green Day , Alice in Chains etc. I prefer rock sounds rather then metal-ish sounds , even when playing grunge/punk , and my rp200 has exagerated fuzzy distortions

edit. I live in Albania , there are not too many local stores here , and you can only find boutique gear there . So i'm probably gonna buy it on Ebay or Thomann , or somewhere else . Price range -60$

Last edited by Slim-Shady : 04-25-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
ikey_

CMAT mods signa drive. very versatile. anything from a clean boost to a more hardcore tubescreamer with more gain.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Robbgnarly

Find a used DOD Grunge pedal. They can do low to higain if you want them to.

If you can not find the DOD, Digitech does make a re-issue of the Grunge pedal if the DOD version is un-available
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Mybleedinglung8
UG's bad 80's music fan

I would stack two overdrive pedals together, using one for your main rhythm tone and boost for a lead tone. I stack my guv'nor with my tube-screamer clone to get a lead sound or for more hair. Also TS, whats your budget? It will kinda help with suggestions.

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Mybleedinglung8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Slim-Shady

My budget is -60$ , or up to 80$ for a realy good pedal . I've heard Bad Monkey does not have true bypass , is that true ?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim-Shady
My budget is -60$ , or up to 80$ for a realy good pedal . I've heard Bad Monkey does not have true bypass , is that true ?

No it does not have true bypass, but I think it still sounds really good and I use one all the time along with another TS type pedal in my chain. I get complements on my tone all the time
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Slim-Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
No it does not have true bypass, but I think it still sounds really good and I use one all the time along with another TS type pedal in my chain. I get complements on my tone all the time

Most of the songs i play pass from clean to dirty , like most of nirvana songs (smells like teen spirit,lithium,heart shaped box etc) , so i realy need the true bypass . Do you think the bad monkey can handle that ?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim-Shady
Most of the songs i play pass from clean to dirty , like most of nirvana songs (smells like teen spirit,lithium,heart shaped box etc) , so i realy need the true bypass . Do you think the bad monkey can handle that ?

Yeah, I use cleans some times and the Bad Monkey works just fine.

You may want to look at the Digitech Grunge pedal. It is a really good sounding pedal for what you want to do. I use the Bad Monkey as a clean boost and not as a sorce of distortion. I set the level to max, the gain to 0 and the tone controls to my preference.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 04-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
Slim-Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Yeah, I use cleans some times and the Bad Monkey works just fine.

You may want to look at the Digitech Grunge pedal. It is a really good sounding pedal for what you want to do. I use the Bad Monkey as a clean boost and not as a sorce of distortion. I set the level to max, the gain to 0 and the tone controls to my preference.

Ah , got it I actually need a main distortion or overdrive pedal , something in the middle . The Grunge pedal is way too crunchy , it's more thrashy than grungy . I was thinking of buying a good pedal first , to hear some good dirty notes from my guitar , then maybe after some time buy the grunge pedal just for the solos .
Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
ikey_

this is a very grungey rat-style distortion. for less fizzy, check out starting at 3 minutes.

C mats are great. hand made in usa, high quality, and this pedal layout is very diverse as you can see in the vid. my Signa drive is like 3 pedals in 1. can make it very cost effective.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat docdude
I think perhaps one of these would get the job done.

+1
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Guitarbaddie
Words go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat docdude
I think perhaps one of these would get the job done. It's got a sort of blend-able overdrive and distortion. Is it my favorite overdrive or distortion pedal on their own merit? No. Is it pretty suitable for what I think you're going for? Yes.

I can bust out some pretty good Smells Like Teen Spirit tone with it just a hair to the distortion side of the color knob. If I'm looking for a more distorted "fizzy" sound I just keep eeking it to the distortion side until I get what I want. On the other hand if I'm going for a more crisp/crunchy sound I slap the color knob to 9 o'clock and it sounds pretty good.

You could also go with just a Tubescreamer-ish pedal. Maybe a Badmonkey.

get an amp, ts
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: