Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

got JP Dimarzio pickup set/do i need new pots,etc/ for Ibanez Prestige?

i bought: the crunchlab and liquifire in this set from MF

(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ucci-pickup-set)

they are going into an Ibanez Prestige 2550EVSL.

i have changed pickups several times without issues, so that really isn't the concern, but... does it include pots jack tone cap switch or anything like that? i am led to believe it doesn't.

now i am thinking if should i replace everything with new pots, switch, etc.

are the ibanez electronics good enough to where i wouldn't need new electronics? the current electronics are fine, and the guitar is flawless, but if i am going to do them i want to do it in one stroke.

thoughts?

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
danvwman

Its hard to say without seeing whats in it. A good cap makes a big difference. I have also been seeing people use 500Kpots a lot more now too.

If whats in it looks good I would just put them in it with what you have, You can always replace the other stuff easy, its not like a Fender. B
ut if you want to Parrallel/series /phase stuff I would replace it all
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
danvwman

Or is it like a fender with a pick gaurd?? Then I might just replace everything and do a series/parallel job on it
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
Its hard to say without seeing whats in it. A good cap makes a big difference. I have also been seeing people use 500Kpots a lot more now too.

If whats in it looks good I would just put them in it with what you have, You can always replace the other stuff easy, its not like a Fender. B
ut if you want to Parrallel/series /phase stuff I would replace it all

yea, i plan on switching the caps on a few guitars and at some point will pick out quite a few and test them.

the wiring in there looks perfect, the pots aren't scratchey or anything and have a nice feel.

i just want to know what is in there is good enough to keep in there. its a prestige and they are stellar guitars, i assume everything is high quality, but am looking for assurance.

i have no desire to do parallel series or split coil or anything, just the bucker as is. the guitar will still have the single coil in the middle anyways, even though it really isn't that hot and just boring. but i am not a SC person in general.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Or is it like a fender with a pick gaurd?? Then I might just replace everything and do a series/parallel job on it

this is the model without the pickguard.

ibanez has the screwiest damn model naming and its frustrating as hell. there are like five series of RG numbers 321 7321 than the prestige numbers 1XXX 2XXX 3XXX (which makes sense on the tiering) but then you get the RGD and the other letter combinations. /rant.

thanks dan

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
danvwman

My last pup swap was a p-rail set with the full options. I am really liking the parallel/series in humbucking mode a lot more than coil tap. I don't think I would ever coiltap again. The parallel is way quieter. I am liking the P-rails except I got the normal bridge instead of the hot one and I wired up my volumes backwards :0 that really screws with your head.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
My last pup swap was a p-rail set with the full options. I am really liking the parallel/series in humbucking mode a lot more than coil tap. I don't think I would ever coiltap again. The parallel is way quieter. I am liking the P-rails except I got the normal bridge instead of the hot one and I wired up my volumes backwards :0 that really screws with your head.

haha thats cool. i had one guitar a long time ago that had S/P and i really didn't use it ever.

i have kind of an odd 1982 Peavey Horizon II and that is HSH with "super ferrite pickups" i have no idea what that means, but here is how it functions.

there are two Volume pots and one global tone pot. it also has two switches.

if you go over "7" on either of the volume pots it goes to coil tap. tone is just tone, one switch has the middle SC as just on/off, and there is another three way switch that switches phase or something, i am not sure thats best i can remember. its really interesting. but if you don't play it for a few months you forget what does what (its been in a case for the last while).

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
DarthV

If you're going to replace the pickups, I'd look at replacing the pots. Just because most modern Ibby Prestiges have very stiff pots. PITA to do volume swells! On the flip side, you don't have to worry about accidentally changing the volume knob :P
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: