Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
danyal92

POD hd 500 vs pedal board

i want to upgrade my amp and effects. i want to know if i can get a good sound from the POD HD500 (metallca gne etc) or should i buy a pedal board and stompboxes of my choice? how much of a sound difference will there be? which pedalboard would u recommend?
danyal92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
souperman08

What is your current gear? What kind of situations are you playing in?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

What amp are you using? Unless you're going direct into a PA or using headphones, you'll still need an amp.

The HD500 is pretty nice, but I wouldn't bother if you're plugging it into a spider or something.

Also, max budget?

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

I'd much prefer to have a board full of stomp boxes, seems like a smarter investment.
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Tell us some more about what gear you currntly have.

I went thorugh a multieffects processor phase, and I'm glad I ditched it and went back to stompboxes.

You will likly spend quite a bit more on stompboxes, but IMO your tone will be 1000x better.

I find that processors just kill the amps natural tone. It makes it sound fake.
1985 MIJ Contemporary Strat
1997 Snake Pit Les Paul
2008 MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Peavey Ultra 112
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
danyal92

i have a boss me 25 and an mg15fx. i want a peavey valveking 112. i have a budget of $500. i want a multifx because i dont think ill be comfortable with a pedalboard when live? wont i have to jump around to control it?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you are wanting to switch multiple effects simultaneously and use lots of different settings on those, get the pod. If you don't use a lot of effects and only need to switch one or maybe two on and off occasionally go for pedals.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
fatgraymatt
Gear Addict

I'm betting that most people will recommend stompboxes over a multi but for my part, I prefer the control and variety of a multi. The sheer amount of effects a multi offers would cost a ton more $ buying individual stompboxes (even considering you' ll probably only use a fraction of the ones a multi contains) and there's also the extra control you get programming patches. I like the fact that you can change so much- guitar tones, effect combinations/parameters, EQ & volume changes, etc- with one stomp. The learning curve is steeper with a multi but, nowadays,the difference in sound quality is pretty negligeble IMO. Plus, there's no reason you can't use individual pedals in conjunction with the multi if you so desire. I use a Morley wah anda Boss delay with mine, for instance. I used to use a Line6 podXTlive but switched to a Vox TonelabLE because the Vox sounded more organic to my ears. I haven't tried the HD Line6 units but hopefully they're less digital sounding than the older stuff. To a lot of players the whole multi idea is heresy but I'd put my sound up against individual stompboxes any day and actually do every time I play since my band's other guitarist has about 12 stompboxes on his board. IMO the key is taking the time to learn the unit properly, pairing it with the right amp (a tube amp with a lot of clean headroom in my case, since I also use the amp models) and tweaking everything till your happy with the sounds. I've been playing in bands for 25-plus years and I'm happier with my sound using my ToneLab into a Peavey valveking (an extremely economical setup) than I've ever been using far more expensive conventional amp/stompbox rigs. Plus, I don't have to do the pedal-dance anymore. In any case, experiment and use what works for you. There are no rules!
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
fatgraymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
If you are wanting to switch multiple effects simultaneously and use lots of different settings on those, get the pod. If you don't use a lot of effects and only need to switch one or maybe two on and off occasionally go for pedals.

This.

Also, I'd ditch the MG and put that pedal budget towards a new amp. That will improve your sound a lot more than a few pedals.

EDIT: I personally prefer multi-FX units / rack FX. I want to interact with my pedalboard as little as possible, so hitting one switch to change amp channels and turn multiple effects on/off at the same time is a major plus for me.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

Last edited by jpatan : 04-27-2013 at 07:33 AM.
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
HammerParty

Can you not use a pod with Powered Monitors? That's always another option, especially if volume is an issue if you can.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
fatgraymatt
Gear Addict

I agree with the Llama- no matter how good the effect unit you use, it won't sound right without a decent amp. For someone on a budget, Valvekings are tough to beat. Powered monitors will work but running a multi into the clean channel of a tube amp sounds much better to my ears. The Valvekings have a surprisingly good clean channel so I think he's on the right track there. My only complaint about those amps are the stock speakers. I picked up a valveking 112 with an Eminence Man O'War for practice and it sounds really good with my ToneLab. Honestly, my recommendation would be to grab a ToneLabLE (usually around $100 used on Ebay) and a valveking combo. Replace the stock speaker with a good Eminence or Celestion, use the Tonelab's models of the Soldano SLO-100 + the Klon Centaur overdrive into the Valveking's clean channel and you have a killer Metallica/GnR-type sound for under $500. I'd imagine the HD500 would work also but it's gonna be quite a bit more expensive. This setup works well for me, anyway. Danyal92, if this interests you, let me know, I'd be happy to share my settings for rhythm/lead sounds to start you off.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.

Last edited by fatgraymatt : 04-28-2013 at 02:44 AM.
fatgraymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
Can you not use a pod with Powered Monitors? That's always another option, especially if volume is an issue if you can.

Bingo, only get the HD500 if you plan on doing it like this IMO. No point in grabbing a unit like the HD500 if all you want is just the effects.
azn_guitarist25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatan
I personally prefer multi-FX units / rack FX. I want to interact with my pedalboard as little as possible, so hitting one switch to change amp channels and turn multiple effects on/off at the same time is a major plus for me.
I've been a rack man for most of my career but lately I've just been using a simple pedalboard. We are playing pub rock (think ACDC) and old school punk so I don't use a lot of effects; two overdrives, chorus, delay and reverb. I've been using my modded JCM900 and a 6x12. With these styles of music I've been quite enjoying the simplicity of it to be honest.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #14
HammerParty

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_guitarist25
Bingo, only get the HD500 if you plan on doing it like this IMO. No point in grabbing a unit like the HD500 if all you want is just the effects.

I actually thought about doing this, especially when I move if the walls are thin. Can't crank up a tube amp in an apartment sadly.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
danyal92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgraymatt
I agree with the Llama- no matter how good the effect unit you use, it won't sound right without a decent amp. For someone on a budget, Valvekings are tough to beat. Powered monitors will work but running a multi into the clean channel of a tube amp sounds much better to my ears. The Valvekings have a surprisingly good clean channel so I think he's on the right track there. My only complaint about those amps are the stock speakers. I picked up a valveking 112 with an Eminence Man O'War for practice and it sounds really good with my ToneLab. Honestly, my recommendation would be to grab a ToneLabLE (usually around $100 used on Ebay) and a valveking combo. Replace the stock speaker with a good Eminence or Celestion, use the Tonelab's models of the Soldano SLO-100 + the Klon Centaur overdrive into the Valveking's clean channel and you have a killer Metallica/GnR-type sound for under $500. I'd imagine the HD500 would work also but it's gonna be quite a bit more expensive. This setup works well for me, anyway. Danyal92, if this interests you, let me know, I'd be happy to share my settings for rhythm/lead sounds to start you off.

Thank you, ill definetly let you know if i get the valveking.

Thanks alot everyone!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
azn_guitarist25
not who you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
I actually thought about doing this, especially when I move if the walls are thin. Can't crank up a tube amp in an apartment sadly.

Yup I've got my HD500 running through a set of headphones while my Fireball and cab sit next to it doing jack shit. The good thing about the HD500 is that you can run it however you want. Whether it be through headphones, frfr speakers/monitors, guitar cabinet, computer, etc.
azn_guitarist25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

I picked up a pod hd500 for those gigs that i didn't think warranted bringing the main or backup rig down for. I kept the pod for twenty days and still didn't get what i thought was an acceptable tone from it. I even tried 4 cable method with my half stack and was left unsatisfied. I did like the interface and everything else basically about it, just not the sound. YMMV so pick one up and make sure you understand the return policy.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: