Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
HotDan!

Album art

While going through some of my old albums (vinyl record type) a few days ago (I was actually looking for an old Hollywood Fats album at the time) I ran across some Molly Hatchet albums and thought to myself, you know, it sure is hard to beat this kind of artwork and along with the Pure Prairie League album art I recalled that I always considered it to be some of the best and found myself wondering what some of your favorites might be.

Last edited by HotDan! : 04-25-2013 at 06:31 PM.
HotDan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
overseasseo
Banned

lassic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on the hard rock genre that peaked in popularity in the 1970s.Classic rock stations re-create, in part, the sound of album-oriented rock stations of the 1970s and 1980s (although usually with a much more limited playlist)[citation needed] and appeal mainly to adults rather than teenagers. Despite this, many classic rock acts consistently attract new generations of fans. Some classic rock stations also play a limited number of current releases which are stylistically consistent with the station's sound, or from established classic rock artists who still produce new albums.

http://immigrationoverseas.com/Australia.aspx
overseasseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Millercaster

I'd love a poster of the Eat a Peach liner. It's really epic
Millercaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
mikeystool

Queen-News of the World
The Who- Tommy, Whos Next, By Numbers
Beatles-Revolver
Frank Zappa and the Mothers-Were Only in it for the Money just to name some..
mikeystool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
HotDan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overseasseo
lassic rock is a radio format which developed from the album-oriented rock (AOR) format in the early 1980s. In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on the hard rock genre that peaked in popularity in the 1970s.Classic rock stations re-create, in part, the sound of album-oriented rock stations of the 1970s and 1980s (although usually with a much more limited playlist)[citation needed] and appeal mainly to adults rather than teenagers. Despite this, many classic rock acts consistently attract new generations of fans. Some classic rock stations also play a limited number of current releases which are stylistically consistent with the station's sound, or from established classic rock artists who still produce new albums.

http://immigrationoverseas.com/Australia.aspx

What? I don't understand. Seems entirely unrelated.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
HotDan!

I mentioned the Molly Hatchet and Pure Prairie League covers and one of the things that I recall about them is that they were...like a series I guess. Anticipation for the next one ran pretty high. There were other similar ones as well which, offhand, I can't remember.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDan!
What? I don't understand. Seems entirely unrelated.
That's an account that was created exclusively to advertise. An advertising account will often post things like that that are just barely relevant (in this case, that paragraph is copied from the "Classic Rock" wikipedia page) in what I assume is an attempt to make it not stand out as an advertising account. We ban such accounts, and that one has been taken care of already.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Joseph Kimbrell
AC - Always Chillin'

Some other album artwork that is pretty awesome is the art for Meat Loaf's albums.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
MrFlaugher91

In The Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson has always been one of my personal favorites.
MrFlaugher91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
mikeystool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlaugher91
In The Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson has always been one of my personal favorites.
yep, classic!
mikeystool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
iFender69

Nazareth have some awesome LP covers, Rampant, Expect No Mercy and the awesome No Mean City.
G & L Ascari GTS
Fender CD-60
Fender Gemini 2
Walden 550 Natural
Marshall DSL 40 Valve Amp
Line 6 Spider 3
iFender69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

This is one of the reasons I don't buy downloads. Album artwork can be awesome. I use CDs now, but before the internet was around I used to love going round all the local record shops & choosing albums based solely on the artwork.

I guess it's a bit predictable, but Iron Maiden were always a favourite - espeically the Somewhere In Time album, I spent ages examining it & finding all the references to all their different songs on there.

Also, +1 to the Meatloaf comment, although a few of them were a bit shit (pretty much just his large face taking up the whole cover!). The ones with 'actual' artwork were cool though.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
Delboyuk_01

Iron maiden were always my favourite, I also used to have Magnum a story tellers night poster on my wall when I was younger, that was a great cover.
Delboyuk_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
vilk
******ed

Roger Dean is one of my favorite artists in general. Got famous doing album covers for YES. Uriah Heep, too.

Last edited by vilk : 06-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
vilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
Andrew Tintle

"Wish You Were Here" From Pink Floyd is definitely one of my favorites. Mastodon is a current band that has amazing artwork, particularly "Crack The Skye" and "Blood Mountain".
Andrew Tintle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

"British Steel" Judas Priest
"The Dark Side of The Moon" Pink Floyd
"The Wall" Pink Floyd
"Standing In The Sun" Slash & Myles Kennedy
"We Sold our Soul For Rock N Roll" Black Sabbath
"(inside of booklet for Led Zeppelin IV- the hermit)" LED ZEPPELIN DUH?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
cjog210

Don't forget Asia's album art. That was pretty cool. Also Boston's Boston was cool with the guitars that look like spaceships.
cjog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

True enough... Welcome to the UG Machine cjog210...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Jes Johnson

My favorite's always been Black Sabbath's first album. I'd love to visit the place where that picture was taken sometime. It's funny cause Paranoid is my all-time favorite album, but I actually think it has one of the worst album covers.
Jes Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

I will never understand what that is on the Paranoid album...

Rate This Thread: