Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
drocorth

How to with ux2

hello guys im gonna buy line6 studio ux2 and i got questions in mind.

i will buy this thing to make covers and upload to youtube. but with that sound card i can get what i play in recording by mp3. but i want to do this with video. so what should i do? should i take video while im playing and put that mp3 (that i recorded) in video? or something? im a little confused . long story short, i wanna make covers with video and the sound must be good. help me with that

thank you
drocorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

First off, you don't want the UX2. Look into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, its much better preamp quality and you can download free amp sims that are better than Pod Farm.

Everyone I've talked with that do covers usually record the audio in a DAW then output that to an MP3 and "play" along to it while being video'd.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Getting the sound good then hooking it up with your video are two seperate processes.

For the sound part, why have you chosen the UX2? Have you read the interfaces sticky for recommendations?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
drocorth

I can buy 8i6 or saffire pro 14. ux2 and those are same price. I have chosen the ux2 for 2 reasons. 1. i have a friend who uses ux2. he told me that ux2 is very good for recording. 2. i've looked some covers on youtube and they were very good (like: that and that ) and i was told by ux2 with sonar x1 would be great.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The ux2 is way... WAY... worse than both the other interfaces you have listed.

Do your self a favour, as an ex user of a UX1... don't buy the UX2.

You may have been told the UX2 is good... well... we're telling you it isn't xD Especially for the amount of money Line6 ask for the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 04-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
drocorth

hımm thanks for the advice which interface or "s" do you recommend me?

edit: haha! now i know that ux2 is bad !

Last edited by drocorth : 04-26-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
drocorth

and one more question: do focusrite interfaces have their own program like pod farm? or if i have this, i will use another programs like sonar x1?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocorth
hımm thanks for the advice which interface or "s" do you recommend me?

edit: haha! now i know that ux2 is bad !

The ones in the sticky.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
and one more question: do focusrite interfaces have their own program like pod farm? or if i have this, i will use another programs like sonar x1?

No but we have a lovely sticky full of free amp simulators like Pod Farm but better. I've had Pod Farm since it came out (Paid $300 for the full Platinum one) and its okay but you'll find very quickly that there are better free alternatives on the market.

You'll need a DAW to run the interface and sims. Look at Reaper, its cheap ($60 for the full license) and very powerful.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
drocorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
The ones in the sticky.

no i've checked it out but i wanna know that: is 8i6 better than 2i4? or 2i4 will be enough for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
No but we have a lovely sticky full of free amp simulators like Pod Farm but better. I've had Pod Farm since it came out (Paid $300 for the full Platinum one) and its okay but you'll find very quickly that there are better free alternatives on the market. You'll need a DAW to run the interface and sims. Look at Reaper, its cheap ($60 for the full license) and very powerful.

Oh, i cant buy anything else but soundcard. if i buy focusrite i will use sonar with it
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
drocorth

i looked the amp sims and far away i didnt understand anything the pod farm is really simple, you choose amp etc. but i dont understand the amp sims. isnt there a program that includes the free amp sims and only thing that you have to do is choose an amp and thats all?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
chatterbox272

The amp sims seems more complicated than it is. Once you've downloaded everything, you pick an amp by loading the amp sim, then pick a cabinet by loading an impulse response. That's really all there is to it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
drocorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
The amp sims seems more complicated than it is. Once you've downloaded everything, you pick an amp by loading the amp sim, then pick a cabinet by loading an impulse response. That's really all there is to it.

oh, im sorry but where do we load this sim? can you just explain me what i need? im gonna buy focusrite 8i6, well thats okay. then i need a program like sonar x1 or something? and then i need amp and cabinet sims and thats all? im playing guitar about 7 years but i dont know anything about recording, pardon me
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
chatterbox272

For recording, you'll need a DAW of some sort yes. I like REAPER personally, but Sonar is fine too. Then when you create a track you will have a button somewhere to add effects. Click that, and add the amp sim you want. Once you've done that open an impulse loader (keFIR, LeCab, etc.) and use that to open an impulse response file.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
drocorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
For recording, you'll need a DAW of some sort yes. I like REAPER personally, but Sonar is fine too. Then when you create a track you will have a button somewhere to add effects. Click that, and add the amp sim you want. Once you've done that open an impulse loader (keFIR, LeCab, etc.) and use that to open an impulse response file.

thank you sir and thank you all! i'm gonna buy 2i4 instead of 8i6. all my questions have answered!

Last edited by drocorth : 04-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Wait wait wait.
Everyone, slow the hell down.
This guy says he's just going to be making covers. Cover videos don't need to be top-notch quality. While it was ignorant of his "friend" to recommend the UX2 when he probably hasn't even used any other interfaces, most YouTubers (especially after all the loss due to YouTube's codecs) won't notice the difference in pre-amp quality. Especially after it's been mixed with the backing track.
Normally I'd stick up for the interface->DI->amp/cabsim route, but TS doesn't really need to learn how to use a DAW just to do guitar covers. You don't need Rick Rubin-budget levels of production clarity here; on YouTube, "good sound" means "anything better than amp -> built-in computer mic -> Audacity". I'd say for this case, if TS wants ease of use more than anything, they could go the Pod Farm route.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
drocorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Wait wait wait.
Everyone, slow the hell down.
This guy says he's just going to be making covers. Cover videos don't need to be top-notch quality. While it was ignorant of his "friend" to recommend the UX2 when he probably hasn't even used any other interfaces, most YouTubers (especially after all the loss due to YouTube's codecs) won't notice the difference in pre-amp quality. Especially after it's been mixed with the backing track.
Normally I'd stick up for the interface->DI->amp/cabsim route, but TS doesn't really need to learn how to use a DAW just to do guitar covers. You don't need Rick Rubin-budget levels of production clarity here; on YouTube, "good sound" means "anything better than amp -> built-in computer mic -> Audacity". I'd say for this case, if TS wants ease of use more than anything, they could go the Pod Farm route.

im not going to do just youtube covers ofcourse. i will upload some songs that written by me or my band to soundcloud etc.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
im not going to do just youtube covers ofcourse. i will upload some songs that written by me or my band to soundcloud etc.

Well then, I take it back. Welcome to the world of digital audio.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
drocorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Well then, I take it back. Welcome to the world of digital audio.

thank you i hope i can handle all difficulties
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

ok line6 studio ux2 does give you Pod farm 2 OK, cool idea & logical,. BUT..

there are better options... IMO

from my little opinion, Amplitude OR free plugins are better for tone and testing

( Negative to Line 6 is CRASHING I get alot of crashing in protools 10 from Amp farm And Amplitude has a wider sonic range in amps sounds then Amp Farm )

Sound wise to test a demo amp in Amplitude with each amp sim for 48 hours is very cool idea, find what works for the project .

Now.. a different issues comes into mind ,... when it comes to video I think that is a different subject and project. guessing you have (????) mins ( PER Timing/Feeling/Style Etc ) you can only match to video if you do at VERY focus TIMING pass First

Can you do that in your current DAW ?...
I ask because have no idea what your using ?? and I do ask because I have done this many times in the last 10 years you need timing and measurement tools to plan it out well.

it's a steep learning curve so take it slow and be prepared to learn,.. John Williams of the world are well educated in it,...you have to be prepared to climb those stairs.

The most I can give you is advice to help is Break your video into parts and measure the timing to match. if all is he same emotion and feel,...your on a winner..

Good luck.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: