Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
ElliottJeffries

I just got fired!

Probably for the best. This story had so many twists. Here's the timeline.

April 17, 2013
Checking out a band situation where there’s talk of getting rid of one of the guitar players. I’m not replacing him, I’m trying out as a bassist. It’s a new band and there’s some chaos, so I’m not too concerned. Practiced some songs with the guitarist who invited me to play. But I’m wondering is there any good way to get rid of a band member?

April 24, 2013
We had our first practice last night and it went really well. They were really happy to to have a bassist. The guitarist that was being talked about wasn't there and it was supposed to be a try out for me without him. We focused on the songs by the guitarist who was there. The other guitarist wasn't told about this rehearsal but guess what? Three quarters of the way through he shows up to drop off some gear! He seemed cool we were practicing without him and, like I said, this is brand new band. We joked around a bit, introduced myself and he left. He said he'd be in for tomorrows rehearsal. I haven't played with him yet but he seemed nice enough. He's friends with the drummer but the guitarist doesn't like playing with him. I'll see how it goes tonight.

April 25, 2013
I found out more of the band's dynamics. Turns out the guitarist being talked about is actually one of the founding members! He and the drummer have been playing together for years. The new guitarist doesn't like him so he actually has a higher chance of being kicked out. But he also plays very well, so for now we all have to get along. They're all good musicians, but everyone has to get used the song learning process which is where some of the friction is happening. The expectation is the player learning the song should be able to pick it up after few times. The reality is that the even though the songs are not complicated, they have different sections with transitions that throw everyone off and slows down learning them on the fly.

April 26, 2013
Got a phone call from the guitarist who invited me to audition. He said they were looking for another bassist and I wasn't experienced or professional enough to learn the songs quickly. Even though I showed up on time and learned most of the parts on two new songs they showed me for the first time which was last night. That means I went into the rehearsal with no preparation given me to learn two new songs on top of 5 songs I that I did learn last week. On top of that, there was a little uncertainty on how the songs should go. I'm both relieved and pissed. Last night they (the drummer and guitarist) said they've been looking for the right people to play with for TWO years!

I politely thanked him for calling and said it's better for everyone they find someone they're comfortable playing with.

I think there was another reason, maybe I didn't gel or they had an uncertaintly about me they couldn't articulate. My playing was not bad and we had some good grooves going. There was also the possibility they felt uncomfortable I don't smoke weed, which two of them did during rehearsal. And they said I wasn't professional enough!

Last edited by ElliottJeffries : 04-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Andalus
Bànned

find a better band who don't smoke weed during practice
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
TimothyPratt

Had a similar experience earlier this year. Its always a red flag when they say they can never find the right people. I'd say you dodged a bullet there!
TimothyPratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
pushingthrough

yeah man, no good wouldve come of that one. Like a buncha b#$%hes! I hate when bands get like that, let alone starting out like that. My last band took about a year and a half before that dynamic broke out. This guy used to play with her, the drummer doesnt like the guitar player anymore, not enough dedication. Once it goes down that road its hard to bring back. I think its impossible to start a band that way. Well put, two years looking for someone? Yeah sounds like theyll never find anyone, or they arent auditioning much!
pushingthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Sounds like a typical experience, it's kind of obvious they're not going anywhere.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
kilbie
Super Noob

They appear to have unreasonable expectations. I wouldn't take being rejected too personally; a bassist with the skill level they're looking for would probably wouldn't be interested in playing with them anyway. Have you been in contact with the drummer or was it just the guitarist who told you that you're fired? Maybe the drummer and other guitarist would be interested in starting a new band with you (without the guitarist who fired you, and without drugs).
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
pezuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbie
They appear to have unreasonable expectations. I wouldn't take being rejected too personally; a bassist with the skill level they're looking for would probably wouldn't be interested in playing with them anyway. Have you been in contact with the drummer or was it just the guitarist who told you that you're fired? Maybe the drummer and other guitarist would be interested in starting a new band with you (without the guitarist who fired you, and without drugs).

This ^
pezuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
ElliottJeffries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilbie

I didn't have contact with the rest of the band. Didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling from the original founding guitar player either, so moving on.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
kilbie
Super Noob

Shouldn't be too hard finding a new band if you play bass. Lots of bands are looking for bass players, so don't settle for the first band you audition for unless it's right for you.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Yep I told ya so. Unfortunately in this case you were a victim of a crappy audition process.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I will say, you're better off, I would've walked as soon as someone even mentioned the word 'Weed' in a practice room. A learning experience either way, a band in chaos is rarely a good band to join, but I'm glad you experienced it, there's never a bad experience in the long run when it comes to bands!

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
I will say, you're better off, I would've walked as soon as someone even mentioned the word 'Weed' in a practice room.

What do your bandmates call it then Danny?

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
jumpaside

I was in this situation. I was trying out for a coverband on bass (in a town I was new to) Came to practice knowing no songs because I wasn't told anything to learn so I was able to BS some of it first practice, second and third the lead guitarist couldn't come (some got cancelled) and the 2nd time I saw the lead guitarist he just was grouchy and what not. Apparently I wasn't the right fit?

I wouldn't take it personally man I found a new band thats great less then a week later (that does originals and has interest in what I write)
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

Yea, alot of people are terrible at auditioning or forming/running a band.

It's always bad when you hear they can't find anyone. At a certain point you're the problem, not everyone you're auditioning.
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
chrisball

It sounds like the band is disorganised and with interpersonal problems between band members anyway, you're better off without these guys. On the contrary, you sound a lot more organised and professional and as a bass player you will be in demand. Keep looking until you find a band who appreciate you more and share similar goals and passion to you.
chrisball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Thibaud Françoi
Thibaud François

Elliot, you are better off. This guys do not understand what it is to set up a professional rehearsal and auditionning context. I had a same experience last year, guys who just finished a full beer pack during my audition -_-

You worked your songs, you were on time, you were serious but still funny with groove, you have done it. This is a good experience for the long term. Repeat this blueprint, and maybe check out the seriousness of the people who are willing to hire you before losing your time, I know it is not obvious, but if you can see live photos, or recordings, anything to prove you that you won't encounter guys like that anymore.

Kilbie is right, maybe try to contact the drummer for other projects ?

Really glad to be here, hope everyone here will get what he wants from this great community.

https://www.youtube.com/TybMusic
Thibaud Françoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: