Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
RickyThomson

Powering different pedals?

Ok, so for a while i've been using a BOSS PSA-240 9v adapter with a 5way daisy chain to power my 3 boss pedals (sd-1, ds-1, ph-3). I am considering trying out one of these:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...orus/index.html

Mainly because of the price, and it seems to have decent reviews on the net for quality versus price. My question is... is it safe to use this with a BOSS PSA-240 adapter?

It's just that in most manuals for guitar pedals i've seen, they explicitly state that you should not use any "unofficial power adapters" for safety reasons....?

I'm going to assume that as long as it's a 9v power unit, then any 9volt pedal would be fine as long as i stick to a maxium of 5 pedals from a single power adapter?

Don't want to go and fry any of my pedals
Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

They're just trying to sell their own adapters. The number of pedals isn't the issue. Add up all the current ratings for each pedal - the supply has to be at least that big. Apart from that you just have to ensure that you get the polarities right.

Caveat. Some pedals (not many) use a positive internal ground and will require their own power supply isolated from the others. If all you are using are Boss pedals they will all be negative internal ground so daisy chain them to your heart's content.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
RickyThomson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious

I'm no electrician, but reading that, it's just a case of not exceeding the output voltage?

Found some info on boss products:

PSA-240 Output voltage: 9v DC 200mA regulated
PH-3 = 50 mA
DS-1 = 4 mA
SD-1 = 6 mA

So i have ~140mA available for 2 more pedals? And that won't cause any problems on different brand/manufacturers as long as they are all 9v input right?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
I'm no electrician, but reading that, it's just a case of not exceeding the output voltage?

Found some info on boss products:

PSA-240 Output voltage: 9v DC 200mA regulated
PH-3 = 50 mA
DS-1 = 4 mA
SD-1 = 6 mA

So i have ~140mA available for 2 more pedals? And that won't cause any problems on different brand/manufacturers as long as they are all 9v input right?

... meeting voltage requirements, matching polarity and of course making sure you can provide enough current.

but yes, a bunch of boss 9V pedals should easily be powered by one daisy chain.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Just watch the current draws on anything you buy. Now, with supplies it's usually best to allow yourself some headroom. If you draw the maximum current from a supply it is likely to introduce hum plus of course, you working the supply harder. So try not to go over a total of say 180mA just to be safe. That should give you a margin for error.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
RickyThomson

Awesome. Thanks both.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
garfo

You should take several things into consideration.The center if it's positive or negative, I believe Boss are center negative, then the voltage and then the amparage.If the power supply is lets say 1000 ma, then you should do the math to see if the power supply can power the number of pedals that you have.Some pedals eventhough running on 9 volts will consume much more than others.Normally it is written on them.
For example, I have a 1spot and with that one I'm powering seven or 8 pedals, in which one of them runns on 18 volts(with a built in voltage doubler).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
Ok, so for a while i've been using a BOSS PSA-240 9v adapter with a 5way daisy chain to power my 3 boss pedals (sd-1, ds-1, ph-3). I am considering trying out one of these:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...orus/index.html

Mainly because of the price, and it seems to have decent reviews on the net for quality versus price. My question is... is it safe to use this with a BOSS PSA-240 adapter?

It's just that in most manuals for guitar pedals i've seen, they explicitly state that you should not use any "unofficial power adapters" for safety reasons....?

I'm going to assume that as long as it's a 9v power unit, then any 9volt pedal would be fine as long as i stick to a maxium of 5 pedals from a single power adapter?

Don't want to go and fry any of my pedals
garfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: