Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
sundar334

Hal Leonard Guitar Method complete edition

Hi, if anyone here has Hal Leonard Guitar Method - complete edition with them or learnt guitar from that book please let me know i have a few questions regarding lessons in that book which i am unable to find an answer anywhere else. Please Help!
cheers!
sundar334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
skilly1

What are the questions, maybe ppl can still help you, I have a few Hal Leonard books but not this one
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
sundar334

Oh just that in their lessons ( simple songs) they have not mentioned the strumming pattern but just the chords, so being a beginner i find it difficult to know which strumming pattern to use.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Early beginner's lesson expect that you'll just be doing simple down strokes along with the time signature.

You can also stroke on the pattern of the melody.

For learning rhythm guitar, the best possible way, (IMHO), is simply trying to mimic what you hear on recordings.

Older rock, such as The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and many more, have very defined and recognizable rhythm patterns.

If I'm stating the obvious forgive me, but you really can't play anything but the proprietary rhythm pattern to many songs, and have them sound like those songs.

Some stellar examples of the rhythm pattern defining the song would be, The Stones, "Get Off My Cloud", The Who, "Pinball Wizard", The Beatles, "This Boy", and last but not least, "I fought the Law", by the Bobby Fuller Four.

And you gotta practice rhythm work a lot, not just "shred".
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Early beginner's lesson expect that you'll just be doing simple down strokes along with the time signature.

You can also stroke on the pattern of the melody.

For learning rhythm guitar, the best possible way, (IMHO), is simply trying to mimic what you hear on recordings.

Older rock, such as The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and many more, have very defined and recognizable rhythm patterns.

If I'm stating the obvious forgive me, but you really can't play anything but the proprietary rhythm pattern to many songs, and have them sound like those songs.

Some stellar examples of the rhythm pattern defining the song would be, The Stones, "Get Off My Cloud", The Who, "Pinball Wizard", The Beatles, "This Boy", and last but not least, "I fought the Law", by the Bobby Fuller Four.

And you gotta practice rhythm work a lot, not just "shred".

Ya but the problem i am facing is in some of the songs i am jus unable hear and make out the strumming pattern used.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
sundar334

and that is why i thought may be if someone else had the same book they can help me out initially with the strumming patterns.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar334
and that is why i thought may be if someone else had the same book they can help me out initially with the strumming patterns.
Sorry, it's been 40 years and I was taught with Mal Bay books anyway.

As I said, (it would seem unconvincingly), the very early exercises are in part, just to help you to learn to count time. So in 4/4 time, that's going to be 4 down strokes, the heaviest normally on one.

If you ask any of the greats how they learned to play, they'll tell you something like, "I just played along with Muddy Waters, or whoever.

Nowadays it's a bit easier, since you can get the tab for a song you like, learn the chords without having to pick it off the recording, then mimic the rhythm.

It won't come overnight, nothing worthwhile does. I'm sorry I don't have the shortcut you're looking for.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Sorry, it's been 40 years and I was taught with Mal Bay books anyway.

As I said, (it would seem unconvincingly), the very early exercises are in part, just to help you to learn to count time. So in 4/4 time, that's going to be 4 down strokes, the heaviest normally on one.

If you ask any of the greats how they learned to play, they'll tell you something like, "I just played along with Muddy Waters, or whoever.

Nowadays it's a bit easier, since you can get the tab for a song you like, learn the chords without having to pick it off the recording, then mimic the rhythm.

It won't come overnight, nothing worthwhile does. I'm sorry I don't have the shortcut you're looking for.

Ya actually i myself saw a couple of interviews by great guitarists like Clapton, Jimmy page and Blackmore etc on youtube they all seem to say that they learnt guitar by "listening" to records and then trying to play it. Guess i just have to learn to be patient and listen more...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
skilly1

Have a look at this, I found it very useful when I was struggling with rhythm guitar, there's a short demo which you can watch down the page http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-0...Techniques1.php
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: