Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
TravisWright

TravisWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 AM   #23
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieguitarist6
is there any/? these days hard to get a record deal,,,does anyone dream of being dave mustaine,mark tremonti, Id like to know.. I you do so,whats your plan, Please mention in vast details...since this thread is gonna help all of us who are started out with the hope of becoming a rockstar,,,and now the real life situation..THIS DISCUSSION IS OPEN FOR ALL

In other words , what does the future holds for a NEW guitarist Today//...

I'd say nothing, for the vast majority. You'll need to be in a band that writes great songs. By great songs, I mean songs that someone with a lot of money wants to pay for to have an album made and distributed and marketed and then to have a strong enough fan base and following to validate that risk and a tour base to build upon.

If you arent writing killer songs, and have a killer band, then you'll have to find a killer band, and that band will have to think that you're the guy for the job.

So, no, I don't think it's in the cards for most people. Being able to shred and have chops means nothing in those terms. That's like saying, I can spell really well, so logic follows I should be able to write and publish novels like Stephen King....Uh, no, you can't.

Best,

Sean

Our Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Need a Mentor for Guitar? It's free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I can give you a free Skype Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #24
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ Thank geebus you said that. I was starting to question my existence as a "good" guitar player who didn't have a record contract.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Case in point: Kurt Cobain is held up by many non-guitarists as an ultimate rock guitar hero. He never really could do little more than play his way out of a wet paper bag, but he wrote great songs.

The guys from Dream Theater are really just something else. They're what I call "scary good." Sadly, they mostly can't write a good song (save for Pull Me Under) to save their souls.

More people will be able to identify Kurt Cobain as a guitarist by name before they will identify John Petrucci.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #26
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

Heh...record deal. That's a sure-fire way to get discouraged. "Record deals" are a joke. You don't need to be reliant on a label to define success. Get on Youtube, get on SoundCloud, make some music and start uploading. Get the fanbase yourself. Sell the albums yourself on CDBaby. The only thing that defines your success with this approach, is your own work ethic.

If you need help with songwriting, there are plenty of great resources on Youtube. If your background is prog metal, for instance, just search "how to write progressive metal." Whatever your genre, the process is the same. And you can always ask around here too.
KevinGoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

^ a popular sentiment. A platitude, in fact. "Oh, sure, just do that! Why didn't I think of that?"

And sure, you can find that handful of examples who got extraordinarily lucky and "made it" that way, just like you can always find the guy who smoked a pack a day for his whole life and never got cancer.

But getting someone else to financially invest in your product who has access to ready-made marketing infrastructure and a Rolodex of connections that you can only dream about is certainly advantageous.

Of course, the odds of that are slim too - somewhere around the odds of getting struck by lightning.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #28
metal_is_back

hey bro, im form Puerto Rico, and here all the local bands do their thing on their own. Record their albums, distribute it and do gigs. They have earned an underground fan base. Some of them have been reviewed on Pitchfork, and on MTV Iggy and do small tours through Europe and USA. No one can guarantee "Fame" you must do it for the love of music
metal_is_back is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: