Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
IIC420

First set of bass strings for friend - Leaving in 45 min

Hi, I have been teaching my best friend to play bass and wanted to get her a little present. Im leaving in 45 minutes or so to the Guitar Center to get 4 strings for her bass. Since she is new at bass, and i'm a little broke at the moment, I don't feel I should have to pay alot, but definately don't want any horrible strings like what Guitar Center used to sell me when I was new at guitar many years ago.

On my guitar, I like Ernie Balls but I hear they are horrible on bass. I tried searching the internet but all I can find is people recommending websites to buy strings for cheap, and everyone says to not use Ernie Balls.

It would be great if I can find a decent pair of strings for around $5 at Guitar Center(or even Walmart) but I realize that it is unlikely to happen. At the same time, I don't want to pay $15 because its just a gift, but not for any special occasion.

Any recommendation? Also, when naming brands, could you try to give me an idea on the price? Preferably US dollars
IIC420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
IIC420

Alright, on my way out. Guess i'm getting Ernie Balls lol Thanks for the 13 views
Old 04-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
supersac

bass strings tend to be more than 5 dollars for a set
im not a bass player but i usually see the strings at about the 20 dollar range i use ddarrio strign for most of my sintruements and they work just fine for any purpose i use them for

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
CorrosionMedia
Almost Sane

Nothing wrong with EBs IMO.
I think the main reason people think they're crap is because they can afford mega expensive coated handmade strings made of unicorn pubes. Personally I love the sound of regular slinkys on my Stingray, but it's all personal choice.
CorrosionMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
IIC420

Ya, im out the door. I don't know if I wanna spend $20 lol but if I decide to pick up some strings, I think I will get those. From what I read, they seem to be the best value and maybe mid price range.

It would be soo much easier if she played regular guitar lol since i've tried all the strings. Even with reg guitar, i've heard people say they hate the Ernie balls, but I love them.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
funkbass369
UG Senior Member

I use Ernie ball hybrid slinkys on my bass and they sound and feel great. I don't know who told you not to get Ernie balls. They're all around great strings. If you're against Ernie ball, check out GHS bass boomers.
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
funkbass369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Ernie Ball bass strings tend to die quickly that's why most people don't like them. From my personal experience they're not that great of a string to begin with.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
loaded_
UG's official King Kai

I use Rotosounds myself and have used Ernie Ball and D'addario in the past. I'd say D'addario is probably the safest bet.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaded_
I use Rotosounds myself and have used Ernie Ball and D'addario in the past. I'd say D'addario is probably the safest bet.

I got one set of Rotosound acoustic strings and the D string was awful, intonation on that one string was totally off, the rest were fine.

I'm still experimenting with different guitar strings and i'm currently using Dunlop acoustic strings (.12s) and Ernie Ball electric strings (.11s). I've found that most strings sound pretty much the same, any difference will be minuscule and barely noticeable, especially on an electric when it's plugged in.
String size makes a much bigger difference than string brand, i assume it would be the same for bass strings
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
yousef213

DRs are my bass strings
yousef213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousef213
DRs are my bass strings

+1