Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
slothduction

Red face Line 6 Spider IV HD150 or Marshall MG100HCFX, which should I get?

So my birthday is coming up (August 13). I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, and I've had the same amp for about 5 years. Its a 90 dollar Marshall 6 inch speaker amp. It's been great, but now I need something bigger. So I've been thinking about getting either a Line 6 Spider IV 150w head, or a Marshall MG100HCFX head. I'd get a 4x12 cabinet for either one, but at first I'd have 1 speaker cabinet, but maybe over time, I'd get another and make it a double stack. I'll give some more info below about what I play and etc.

I like playing Hard, Classic, Rock, and mainly Heavy Metal. Bands like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Motorhead, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc. But my absolute favorite band in Guns N' Roses, the original line up, and the whole reason I started playing was because of hearing slash when I was 7, a year before I started playing (im 14 now and I'll be 15). So I really want to get a slash tone, but I will also be purchasing the Dunlop Slash Pedals, so that's one reason I considered getting a Marshall.

The guitar I usually play on is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro, and occasionaly a Squire Rogue.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. God Bless you all,

Liam
slothduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Monev

To answer your question, the Line 6 Spider IV is the better choice. A friend of mine has one and you can get some good sounds... The only downside is the distortion, it sounds way too digital. I assure you that in about a year or so, perhaps even sooner than later you'll want to change to a tube amp and pedals. It happened to me, as the Line 6 amp was my begginner amp.
Everyone will bash Line 6, and I can see why, but if you're a begginner it will suit just fine.
On the other hand, I've tried the MG series, and it sounds reaaally bad to my ears, I'd stay away if I were you
I hope that helps
Monev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Neither are that great.

Are you gonna be gigging?

You won't need 150 watts for home... OR gigging for that matter. You could probably get a 50 watt head of better quality for your money instead of paying for wattage that you don't really need...

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
slothduction

I asked a question a while back about 2 specific amps, but now I am really open to any suggestions. I'll try to make your desicion easy so I'll give some info about my self.

1. My budget is 750 dollars and under.
2. I like playing hard rock, and Heavy Metal.
3. I'd really like a head and cabinent but a regular amplifier will do.
4. My favorite Guitar players are Slash and Zakk Wylde, but I prefer playing Zakk Wylde style guitar.
5. I will be getting some more pedals in the future, so don't worry about that.

Thanks for all of your help!

Gob bless you all,
Liam
slothduction is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: