Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Bass amp suggestions

Hi guys. Some of you may know me from GG&A. I am here to ask you bass guys about bass amps. I know a fair bit about guitar amps but bass amps aren't really my thing so I thought I'd drop in here.
Bottom line, my bass player is in the market for a new rig. I'll hit you with the format we ask for in GG&A when people are looking for amp suggestions.

Budget - AU$6000 for both head and cab

Genres - Pub rock (think ACDC, Status Quo, Rose Tattoo), old school punk (Pistols, Ramones, Clash, etc) and some blues (Gary Moore)

New or Used - probably new

Home or Gig - Gigging. I use a 100W JCM900 through a 6x12. We're LOUD.

Closest City - Bendigo, Victoria, Australia (about 100 mile north of Melbourne)

Current Gear - Fender Rumble head through 4x10 Fender cab.

He is thinking SVT into Ampeg 6x10 but is open to suggestions.

Go.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-28-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

SVT-3 and a 6x10 would work, my bassist has the head and an 8x10.

My other bands bassist uses a GK RB400 II 2x10 combo and a 1x15 cab. Matt Freeman even gave him his seal of approval when we opened for Sick of it All 2 yrs ago if that means anything
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The SVT-3 was pretty high on the list - mainly because I'll probably be the one helping him lift it. I'll also be the one retubing it.
The 8x10 is too big to fit in his car, a 6x10 is probably about as big as he can go. He also wants something that won't look like a toy sitting on stage next to my rig.

Actually, we do do a Rancid song (and will probably do more) so Matt's approval does count for something.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-28-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

I've had just about every bass cabinet configuration you can name, and I can attest to the agony of having to transport an 8x10 'fridge (even so, I've still got one). Your friend might want to try a 4x10" cabinet - probably the most capable and versatile bass cabinet configuration - and a single 15" cabinet. The two are pretty easy to transport, especially if you go with the Neo speakers that are making great inroads in the bass world. Fender's Bassman Pro cabinets now come with Neo speakers, but even over here, they aren't cheap. You can probably find something just as good for less. Eden was recently acquired by Marshall, so you might see some good prices on Eden gear. Their cabinets sell at good prices used, whereas their amplifiers sell on the high side used. GK is always a good choice as long as it isn't something from the Backline series - stay away from that line. You can usually find used GK gear at good prices. The same goes for SWR, though the used prices tend to be on the high side.

Tubes aren't as big a deal for most bassists as they are for guitarists, which is why Class D bass amps are so popular these days. Small amps with lots of power and very good tone are available from GK, SWR, Markbass and others. The Markbass stuff is particularly good in all respects. The drawback is that it does indeed look like a car stereo sitting on top of a speaker cabinet. Not exactly impressive-looking, but very impressive sounding.

Does your friend insist on a tube head or a hybrid at least? As you undoubtedly know, re-tubing an Ampeg SVT is as hard on your wallet as lifting one is hard on your back. Then again, if that is the sound he is looking for, then an SVT is hard to beat. Sadly, there aren't a lot of other tube bass amps these days, and the ones that do exist (i.e., Hiwatt, Orange and Marshall) are prohibitively expensive. You are also limited in selection by your location, unless you are willing to accept obscene shipping costs.

I have yet to try the new/old Fender Bassman 300. The last one was a great amp, but it has been replaced by a "vintage" version that I have yet to try. The last one weighed almost 90 pounds, so weight was definitely an issue. Still, if you want a tube bass amp, it would certainly be worth looking at. It sells in the U.S.A. for about $1,700.00. There is also a 100-watt version that goes for considerably less. However, I don't think it will compete with your guitar rig; particularly in a loud band. The bass will probably need 300 watts tube or 500 watts SS.

The SVT-3 is pretty good, but for Ampeg, I am partial to the Ampeg SVT-4. I must say that some people have claimed that it is not the same amplifier that it once was, now that Ampeg is making them in Vietnam. I have heard some unpleasant QC stories since the Vietnam-made amps hit the market.

GK's 700RB II and 1001RB-II are very good, loud bass amps with a lot of tonal variety and the 700RB-II should fit nicely in your budget, unless there is some insane tax added down in your neck of the woods.

I have no idea what it would cost in Australia, but the EBS Fafner II is one of the best-sounding hybrid bass amps ever made. It is also as loud as hell and the quality is first-rate. They go for around $2,000.00 new (give-or-take) in the U.S.A., and I have seen them at much lower prices used. If your friend can find one in his price range, he will probably love it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

He doesn't give a shit if it's tube, hybrid or SS. Sound is all that matters.
The Fender 4x10 cab he has is actually fairly decent. He says he has "small amp syndrome" playing next to me though. Adding a 15 under it is certainly an option to consider.

Edit: The GK 700RB II is only about $1k here. Well within budget.

I probably should add that the SVT Classic is his dream amp so it's always going to be a front runner.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-28-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

IF they're not insanely expensive the new Mesa Boogie Bass Strategy Eight:88 should be a fine amp matched with a 8x10. Although I'm guessing they'll be way out of the price range in Australia since I hear a lot of complaints how expensive Mesa's are there.

Couple amps worth mentioning if he's willing to down the used route are the SWR SM900, Aguilar DB 751, and Mesa Boogie Big Block 750(Titan V12 if wants 1200 watts of power).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'm liking the look of the GK. I like the separate output for a horn and a control on the front for it. I have a humugous PA horn that we aren't using on the PA that he could use. I've always been quite fond of GK tbh.
The GK 1001RB II is only about $150 more than the GK 700 RB II. Worth spending the extra?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 04-30-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm liking the look of the GK. I like the separate output for a horn and a control on the front for it. I have a humugous PA horn that we aren't using on the PA that he could use. I've always been quite fond of GK tbh.
The GK 1001RB II is only about $150 more than the GK 700 RB II. Worth spending the extra?

I don't know if there are any objective reasons for choosing the 1001RB-II over the 700RB-II, but in my experience bassists who go for GK strongly prefer the 1001RB-II over everything else. This is true even when it comes to GK's new line of micro amps, which sound gloriously good. There's just something about the GK 1001RB-II that has an Invasion of the Body Snatchers type of effect on GK fans.

If the extra cash isn't a major issue, then I would definitely spring for the 1001RB-II. In the bass world, excessive amplifier power is a lot like money: it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. And if your band plays at Blue Cheer-like volume levels, then you definitely want to have that extra "oomph!" on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

We mike up the drums even at rehearsals so yeah, we're pretty loud.

Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Update.

We tested out the GK1001RB, SVT7-Pro, Aquila Tone Hammer and Little Mark Tube and the Mark was a clear winner. He bought the 500W version. It's very, very nice.
The SVT7 was extremely dissapointing. I wanted to like it but it was dull and lifeless. Not impressed at all. Worst of the bunch IMO.

Edit. And exchanged it for the 800W Mark.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 06-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Further update. Had it running with the whole band last night. ****ing genius. Really impressed. MarkBass make good shit.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Tostitos
Got Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Further update. Had it running with the whole band last night. ****ing genius. Really impressed. MarkBass make good shit.

They do, really really solid amps. I love my LMII.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Small amp syndrome is something to just get over as a bassist these days. My guitarist at times runs two 4x12's and a Marshall head. My rig is a small Barefaced 2x12 and a Genz Benz Shuttle (tiny Class D thing). Despite looking sexy as hell, it can look dwarfed by his rig. But then when I can carry the whole thing in one effortless trip and it can drown his rig out without trying, it isn't my rig that comes out looking silly.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The two cabs sound great together though - that's the main thing, the rest is just joking around.

I had a look inside before and the tube is a JAN Phillips 6205 pentode. How trippy is that? I was expecting to see some shitty Chinese 12AX7 OEM type of thing like most other amps seem to have (or those crappy short plate Sovteks) but no, an old milspec American pentode. Genius.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 06-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Small amp syndrome is something to just get over as a bassist these days. My guitarist at times runs two 4x12's and a Marshall head. My rig is a small Barefaced 2x12 and a Genz Benz Shuttle (tiny Class D thing). Despite looking sexy as hell, it can look dwarfed by his rig. But then when I can carry the whole thing in one effortless trip and it can drown his rig out without trying, it isn't my rig that comes out looking silly.

I feel you
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

We've been teasing the rhythm guitarist because all he has is a 4x12. We call it his practice amp.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #17
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Another update. He's buying this to go with it.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=84

He's going in to pick it up tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think after we fire it all up.

This one:
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 06-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Well we fired it all up at band practice so as promised, this is my impression. FRIGGIN AWESOME!

So punchy and defined. We just ran the 6x10 by itself and even the bottom end was great. I don't have a bad word to say about it. He was using an EMG loaded P Bass sorta thing. This rig thing kicks serious arse.

I think he chose well. MarkBass rocks.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Rate This Thread: