Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
21xanadu12
Registered User
 
21xanadu12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Indiana
Looking for amp for metal

I've been having a lot of trouble getting a distorted tone I'm happy with using pedals through my current amp, so I'm looking to get an upgrade. I stopped following gear reviews and whatnot while in college though, so I feel kind of out of the loop and wanted recommendations of amps to look into. Thanks in advance!

Budget - ~$1500

Genres - I'm looking for something specifically for metal as I already have an amp for a lot of the other stuff I play. Tone-wise I really like the sound's from Between the Buried and Me (Colors, Parallax II), Mastodon, Trivium (Shogun), Avantasia (The Metal Opera).

New or Used - Either is fine

Home or Gig - Home use. I'd like to do some recording with whatever I get down the road.

Closest City - Indianapolis

Current Gear - I'll mostly be using my Jackson Kelly with Dimarzio D-Activator's to play through whatever I get. I don't know the exact model unfortunately. If it makes a difference my old amp is a Fender DeVille 410.
21xanadu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Somehow I feel you're gonna get a lotta 6505+ recommendations.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Somehow I feel you're gonna get a lotta 6505+ recommendations.


They are great amp...

For his budget he can afford to look at something more flexible.

6505/+, dual rectifier, road king, 5150 III, Mesa Mark IV, a few ENGLs, Krankestein +
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
it's hard to not recommend a Peavey 6505, since regardless of the price range they are one of the finest sounding metal amps money can buy. I'm sure Mastadon use JCM800's, Trivium using Marshall JVM + 6505 and BTBAM using Mesa Dual Rects.
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Guitarbaddie
Words go here
 
Guitarbaddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xanadu12
I've been having a lot of trouble getting a distorted tone I'm happy with using pedals through my current amp, so I'm looking to get an upgrade. I stopped following gear reviews and whatnot while in college though, so I feel kind of out of the loop and wanted recommendations of amps to look into. Thanks in advance!

Budget - ~$1500

Genres - I'm looking for something specifically for metal as I already have an amp for a lot of the other stuff I play. Tone-wise I really like the sound's from Between the Buried and Me (Colors, Parallax II), Mastodon, Trivium (Shogun), Avantasia (The Metal Opera).

New or Used - Either is fine

Home or Gig - Home use. I'd like to do some recording with whatever I get down the road.

Closest City - Indianapolis

Current Gear - I'll mostly be using my Jackson Kelly with Dimarzio D-Activator's to play through whatever I get. I don't know the exact model unfortunately. If it makes a difference my old amp is a Fender DeVille 410.


Mesa Boogie Mark III/IV
__________________
PRS SE Tremonti (Zakk Wylde EMGs)
Ampeg VH140C
GFT90 Floor Tuner
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
I 2ed the 5150iii. It's a great amp. It has a great metal tone, and also cleans up a lot better then the 6505. I was actually able to get a pretty sweet clean tone out of it in the studio.
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
21xanadu12
Registered User
 
21xanadu12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Indiana
Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize the Peavey amps were so highly regarded. I'll definitely look into them along with the Mesa Boogies and some of the others mentioned.

Edit: Are the Peavey cabs generally considered ok as well, or is it just the head people like?

Last edited by 21xanadu12 : 04-29-2013 at 12:56 PM.
21xanadu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21xanadu12
Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize the Peavey amps were so highly regarded. I'll definitely look into them along with the Mesa Boogies and some of the others mentioned.

Edit: Are the Peavey cabs generally considered ok as well, or is it just the head people like?


The cabs themselves are extremely well built (but very heavy as a result, based on my old 5150 cab) but the Sheffield speakers are not the most loved shall we say. Nothing wrong with them but often people buy a seperate cab because they want different speakers (more often than not V30s).

A Peavey 6505 with a Mesa cab (V30s) is a more popular combination, and would get my recommendation.
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbazz
The cabs themselves are extremely well built (but very heavy as a result, based on my old 5150 cab) but the Sheffield speakers are not the most loved shall we say. Nothing wrong with them but often people buy a seperate cab because they want different speakers (more often than not V30s).

A Peavey 6505 with a Mesa cab (V30s) is a more popular combination, and would get my recommendation.


x2.

Mesa cab with V30's is a classic combination.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
 
red.guitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Saskatchewan
I ran the 5150iii into a mesa 412 with V30's, and I alos tried it with my randall 212+115 cab thats loaded with legends.

I've got to say that it sounded good with the V30's, but sounded muchhhhh better with the legends!
__________________
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
MIJ Contemporary Strat
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Randall 212+115
Mesa Boogie 212

Check out my band CITIES GATEWAY
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Outside of typical Peavey recommendations, also take a look at Engl Powerball and Blackmore amps.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
6505fiz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
5150III would be my suggestion, no doubt.

I'd also take a look at the Burgera 333XL. Cheap and very tight metal tone.
6505fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6505fiz
I'd also take a look at the Burgera 333XL. Cheap and very tight metal tone.


With his budget he should take the real thing that amp is a clone of, meaning Peavey JSX. Bugera is a good sounding choice for people on the budget willing to gamble with warranty but if you afford it, getting the reliable one is safest.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
 
Tremolo Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I'm pretty sure one of the guitarists for BTBAM uses a Mesa Roadking
__________________

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
I'm guessing you need either a combo or head and cab with that budget.

Krank 1980/Rev+/Kstein+
Laney VH100r/GH50/100
Splawn QR/Nitro
Marshall JCM DSL50/100
Mesa Dual recto
Mesa Mark III/IV
Mesa Stiletto
Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX/3120
Orange TH30/100
Sovtek MIG 50/100
Soldano HRA

And then grab a decent 2x12 or 4x12 cab
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
Guitarbaddie
Words go here
 
Guitarbaddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I'm guessing you need either a combo or head and cab with that budget.

Krank 1980/Rev+/Kstein+
Laney VH100r/GH50/100
Splawn QR/Nitro
Marshall JCM DSL50/100
Mesa Dual recto
Mesa Mark III/IV
Mesa Stiletto
Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX/3120
Orange TH30/100
Sovtek MIG 50/100
Soldano HRA

And then grab a decent 2x12 or 4x12 cab


/thrad
__________________
PRS SE Tremonti (Zakk Wylde EMGs)
Ampeg VH140C
GFT90 Floor Tuner
Arion Octave MOC-1
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
Remnest
Registered User
 
Remnest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Imo the Orange Thunderverb 100 with a matching cab, either 2x12 or 4x12, would great for what you want.

Also look into the Laney Ironheart they are quite aweome.
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Grawgos
Registered User
 
Grawgos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I know I sound like a broken record, but check out Stiff Amplification. The Fistpump or Dirthead can do what you want. 500 for the twenty watt, 600 for the fifty and that leaves cash left over for a sweet cab and some to put back in the bank.
__________________
Venom Legions Official Page
Grawgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnest
Imo the Orange Thunderverb 100 with a matching cab, either 2x12 or 4x12, would great for what you want.

Also look into the Laney Ironheart they are quite aweome.

You mean TH100 since the Thunderverb is only available as 50 and 200.

Also, if you can't swing a RoadKing MKII, go with the original RoadKing or Roadster.

__________________
Who To Listen To EG/GG&A and GB&C .. 7/ERG Field Marshall .. e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Remnest
Registered User
 
Remnest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
You mean TH100 since the Thunderverb is only available as 50 and 200.

Also, if you can't swing a RoadKing MKII, go with the original RoadKing or Roadster.



Correct, the TH100 my mistake. Though the TV50 wouldnt be a back choice either imo.
Remnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.