Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
ccolquitt

Beginner bass

Howdy all!

I've been playing bass about six months now, proud of myself for managing to pick it up for at least 15 minutes a day (most often 30+). I've just booked in for a summer RGT preliminary exam and would love to ace it.

I'm going to hit in a few lessons to get rid of any nasty bad habits that have crept in, but wanted to put out the good word: what is the one thing you would change, looking back to when you were a newbie?

I'd love your thoughts, comments, hints, tips and advice.

C
ccolquitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

I think I have no regrets... I've been taking lessons since I started 1 year and a half ago, and everything goes just like it should. I'd try to practice more, but i won't stop thinking like that even if i could practice four hours a day...

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

For me it's probably sticking with it properly from the beginning. I bought my first bass a few years ago but didn't have too much free time and my practices eventually just stopped. I have much more time and drive now and I'm playing regularly again, but I'd be a lot further along now without the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
moody git
I bad writing

i wish i had known how useful knowing the theory of a fretboard would be. only now, 4 years or so later, am i starting to grasp all the patterns and positions, the latter being through lessons. i also wish i'd started guitar at the same time as bass, or nearer the time that i started. whenever i pick one up i just revert to 'SIMILAR TO BASS. PLAY LIKE BASS.'

Rate This Thread: