Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
DoAndroidsDream
Carpe deez nutz....

Decent Bass Amplifier?

I recently bought a used J-Bass for $300 about a month and a half ago, and I'm looking to upgrade my amp. Seeing as the only amp I have is a '59 Bassman LTD, I figured it would do well for a little while. However, trying to keep up with my band is proving to be a problem, as once I move the volume past 3.5, the cabinet starts shaking really badly. I'd like to save that amp for my guitars if I can, but I need a decent bass amp. I've been looking at the Acoustic B300 or B600 heads with the 210NEO cabinet, but I'd like some suggestions. I play mostly rock in all its forms, and my budget is $1000.
DoAndroidsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Acoustic has replaced the B600 amplifier head with the B800 model, which has 200 extra watts, a mute switch and a built-in compressor. Those are nice touches. It sells for about US$600.00 new.

Acoustic bass amplifiers are very good deals. You get a lot of amplifier for a reasonable price. They aren't simply "good amps for the money;" rather, they are good amps - period. They have a great many useable tones on tap, the control layout is very simple and they seem to hold up quite well. No, they are not the legendary Acoustic amplifiers made by Steve Rabe back in the Woodstock days, but they are fine amplifiers in their own right. I can't speak for their guitar amplifiers, as I have yet to try one. But I own an Acoustic B200 combo bass amp and that thing has been through hell and indignity over the years and it still works just fine. Acoustic stuff should suit your needs and your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!

Last edited by FatalGear41 : 04-30-2013 at 05:07 PM.
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
DoAndroidsDream
Carpe deez nutz....

Thanks man. Would the 210 cabinet do okay with 800 watts, or should I look into a bigger cab?

Code:
while True: for i in ["/","-","|","\\","|"]: print "%s\r" % i,
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoAndroidsDream
Thanks man. Would the 210 cabinet do okay with 800 watts, or should I look into a bigger cab?

It depends on how much power it can handle, but last time i checked there were none 2X10 cab that could handle 800 watts... I think you might find something like that in 4X10 configurations, such as Gallien Krueger NEO 410, just to name one.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:

No, but then again, your amplifier will probably not run at full power with only one cabinet; particularly if the cabinet has a high Ohms rating. The Acoustic B800 runs 800 watts RMS at 4 Ohms. All of their cabinets are rated at 8 Ohms, so your amp would be working at a lower power rating unless you hooked up two 8 Ohm cabinets.

There is also the fact that you can turn your amplifier down, so as not to overload the cabinet(s). Believe me, if you are in a situation where you need to run you bass amp at a full-tilt 800 watts RMS, then you need a lot more firepower than a little 2x10" cabinet. So if what you are asking is: "Can I use an 800 watt head on a 2x10" cabinet?" the answer is yes. Just get a good 2x10" cabinet, and don't overdo it.

Frankly, I think that unless you are doing a lot of recording (where you mic the amp), or unless you are playing small venues and your band isn't into the heavy stuff, you would be better suited by a 4x10" cabinet. They're not that big or heavy, and they let you crank it when the spirit moves you to do so.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:

Last edited by FatalGear41 : 05-01-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
DoAndroidsDream
Carpe deez nutz....

How's about this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...755-i1537813.gc

They have one brand new at GC

Code:
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
How's about this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acousti...755-i1537813.gc

They have one brand new at GC

That would make for a pretty nifty rig. And you can add another cabinet if you feel the need to move some more air.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
DoAndroidsDream
Carpe deez nutz....

Sweet Thanks guys. Oh, and obligatory pic of my baby:

I call her Annabelle

Code: