Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #1
bart952

Need to buy Intermediate priced multi-effect pedal

Hi, I'm Bharath and i live in Banaswadi, Bangalore, India. I'm new here and this is my first post. Hopefully, I'm not re-posting :P

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 5 years now. I purchased a Greg Bennett AV3 and a Marshall 15 2 years back. I've been meaning to buy a processor for a while now, but never had the means. Now that i've started working, i want to make that purchase.

Here are my specifications...

-> I want an intermediate priced multi effect processor(10-15k INR). I don't mind 'used'. Just enough to know the What's What in guitar sounds and effects. I mean to make a bigger purchase once i know what i want.

-> Should have all the Essential Effects. Should be of decent quality and possibly of use live.

-> I listen to and play Blues, Classic Rock, pop and some jazz. Eric Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer are some of the guitarists i look up to.

-> Price can be stretched but i don't see the point since it's my first processor.

Well, I hope i've covered all the points. Please give some brand/model suggestions. Thank you

Last edited by bart952 : 04-30-2013 at 05:15 AM.
bart952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Single effect pedals are better than processors. It would be better to buy few effects you think you need instead of buying a processor. What effects do you want anyway? ''Essential Effects'' aren't the same thing for everyone.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
MattCox12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackovSlayer
Single effect pedals are better than processors. It would be better to buy few effects you think you need instead of buying a processor. What effects do you want anyway? ''Essential Effects'' aren't the same thing for everyone.

Looking at the types of music he plays, the essential effects would be wah, disotrtion/overdrive, chorus, phaser, delay, maybe reverb. Tell us what effects you want first then we can help you
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Most of us probably don't have any idea what is available to you at the price point you gave. List some that are in your price range that you can get then we can give advice.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
souperman08

Quote:
Single effect pedals are better than processors.

Broad overstatement right there.

Anyways, can you link us to an online store, so we can get a rough idea of how far your budget will get you? Even with the currency converted, the price value of items can vary like crazy. Off the top of my head, a Line 6 POD HD if you need amp modeling, and a Line 6 M9 if you don't.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
Broad overstatement right there.

Anyways, can you link us to an online store, so we can get a rough idea of how far your budget will get you? Even with the currency converted, the price value of items can vary like crazy. Off the top of my head, a Line 6 POD HD if you need amp modeling, and a Line 6 M9 if you don't.

I wanted to recomend Line 6 too, but as far as I know it's not ''intermediate priced''. Those toys are expensive.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
souperman08

Quote:
I wanted to recomend Line 6 too, but as far as I know it's not ''intermediate priced''. Those toys are expensive.

An M9 can be found used for $250 all day long. According to a currency conveter, 15000 INR is about $280, and he says he can stretch it. Gotta figure out what gear costs over there first though.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

But still my advice for you is to decide which effects you need, and then buy single effects pedals. They will surely sound better, and it's going to be a better investment. After some time you'll probably see that those cheap processors don't have quality effects, and spending money on more expensive ones is not good for you either, in my opinion. You're a begginer on electric guitar, so you probably don't know a lot about effects, and you could buy a processor with lots of effects but that's not necessary for you because you will probably use only few of it and you won't be using more than 10% of processor's capabilities.
So tell us which effects you like, maybe we'll be able to give better advice then.
And also, if that marshall 15 you're talking about is from MG series, I can tell you that amp is not very good and even the best effects in the world won't sound very good through it. Start slowly, see what you need, don't rush into buying something just beacause you think it could maybe be useful. Money needs to be spent reasonably, you don't want to be stuck with shitty sound.

Rate This Thread: