Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
jkielq91

Should I get studio monitors.

Hey folks,

Lately I have been trying to learn a lot about mixing. But I do not have monitors. What I have been doing is using a mixture of headphones and 2 sets of speakers and comparing my mix to other pro mixed tracks in a similar style.

I think I am doing ok through this and for the few months of experience I have I think my mixes are quite good. But they could be better.

I know mixing would be a lot easier if I have proper studio monitors to use (along with my other speakers and headphones).

But I'm not sure my situation is appropriate for them and I dont want to spend money on some only to learn that I have wadted my money.

Here is a description of my situation:

-I do my mixing at home in a non acoustically treated room.

-The room I used is very small.

-It will be impossible to not have my monitors close to a wall (yes, the room is that small).

-And difficult not to have them near to the rooms corners.

So, what are every ones thoughts on this?

What do you guys do?

Can you suggest any alternative methods?

Thanks =)

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Personally, I love my monitors & I think its a great investment in gear even in an untreated room. Right now, I'm setup in my living room which helps kill a lot of the sound but even when I've taken them & used them in untreated rooms with natural verb (Terrible environment to mix in no matter what monitors you have), I've been able to mix accurate enough to where I only had a few little fixes here and there to take care of.

Also, go used if you can & check eBay to keep the cost low. Good monitors start at around the $300ish range and going used usually cuts the price down at least a third. Hell, if you got the cash right now, you could pick up a pair of KRK Rokit 5s for $160 + shipping which is almost half off a new pair (and its very easy to unpop the center of the speaker).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
chatterbox272

What you're doing is called referencing and even with monitors it is still a very good thing to be doing. I don't think monitors are as essential to a home studio as some would believe. This is pretty much a summary of how I feel about monitors, so my personal approach is to check out my mixes on my bass amp, clock radio, car speakers, computer speakers, old dj headphones, gaming headphones, and studio headphones. By the time I've gone through everything I've pretty much covered every frequency band there is a few times over in systems that emphasize those frequencies.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
What you're doing is called referencing and even with monitors it is still a very good thing to be doing. I don't think monitors are as essential to a home studio as some would believe. This is pretty much a summary of how I feel about monitors, so my personal approach is to check out my mixes on my bass amp, clock radio, car speakers, computer speakers, old dj headphones, gaming headphones, and studio headphones. By the time I've gone through everything I've pretty much covered every frequency band there is a few times over in systems that emphasize those frequencies.

Yes I am very familiar with referencing. Next I will hook my laptop up to my tv for reference. My tv has good speakers, its my favourite thing in my home for listening to music on.

Interestingly my computer speakers are what my rough or unmixed tracks sound best through.

I will check out your link.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

If you can afford some good studio monitors, get some.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
jkielq91

Another question:

So far for recording I have:

An audio interface
A LD condensor microphone
Ableton (lite version )
Amplitube Custom Shop

Where do you think I should invest my money next for best effect?

Ableton 9 in full
Studio Monitors

I also have my eye on a PRS guitar which I am saving for.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
TwoPlusTwo

Why not get some awesome studio headphones?
If you already do, then I guess do what you want.
TwoPlusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkielq91
Studio Monitors

This and Reaper.

Reaper is better for guitar based music.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
This and Reaper.

My musics not all purely guitar based. I'd say song based would be the best way of putting it. Though big riffs and guitar solo's do come in to it.

I have thought about getting headphones that are good for mixing but I dont like wearing headphones all the time. I never use them when I'm not doing music production.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
I have thought about getting headphones that are good for mixing but I dont like wearing headphones all the time. I never use them when I'm not doing music production.

Seems to me you're answering your own question here.

Look at it this way - the rest of your setup is quite good but you've identified an area for improvement. If you have the budget for it, why wouldn't you buy them?
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Seems to me you're answering your own question here.

Look at it this way - the rest of your setup is quite good but you've identified an area for improvement. If you have the budget for it, why wouldn't you buy them?

Fair point.

But I want to be confident that they will improve my situation and be worth it.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
chatterbox272

You haven't got a full DAW? I'd get that first. I highly recommend trying a demo of every DAW you can before making a purchase, that way you know that you're getting the DAW that best suits your workflow (and trying demos costs nothing but a little time). I found that mixing mostly on a set of average computer speakers, then just doing a check on some studio headphones works well (I do this, but afterwards I do a check on every set of speakers I have).

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'm going to go in an entirely different direction here. It ain't sexy, but one of the best investments I ever made to improve my mixes was to spend about $200 and make some DIY acoustic treatment for my space.

Before we moved, the other room I was in was already mostly okay (heh.... never would have imagined....) In the new house, I couldn't mix a G-Damned thing to save my soul. As soon as I treated the room.... right back to making decent mixes. I could show you on a frequency response graph that I did for the room, both before and after, but trust me, the difference was remarkable, and the results speak for themselves.

Now, how small is your room? My control room is 8' x 9'6". My monitors (yes, I believe they are a very worthy investment, but my experience above suggests that they cannot rise above a bad room in the first place) are about 8" away from the wall, and about 2' in from each corner. I put acoustic panels between the monitor and the wall to absorb anything that might get reflected back, though.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
I'm going to go in an entirely different direction here. It ain't sexy, but one of the best investments I ever made to improve my mixes was to spend about $200 and make some DIY acoustic treatment for my space.

Before we moved, the other room I was in was already mostly okay (heh.... never would have imagined....) In the new house, I couldn't mix a G-Damned thing to save my soul. As soon as I treated the room.... right back to making decent mixes. I could show you on a frequency response graph that I did for the room, both before and after, but trust me, the difference was remarkable, and the results speak for themselves.

Now, how small is your room? My control room is 8' x 9'6". My monitors (yes, I believe they are a very worthy investment, but my experience above suggests that they cannot rise above a bad room in the first place) are about 8" away from the wall, and about 2' in from each corner. I put acoustic panels between the monitor and the wall to absorb anything that might get reflected back, though.

CT

Good response.

I do intend to do this to a room in future, but cant really do it to the room I am in.

I'll describe my room to you. The biggest issue is it is an L shape. Each end of the L is slightly larger than the width of a door (though only one has a door on it, the other is set up with shelves). The room has other furniture in it to, which cant be moved to another room. When I record vocals with my mic on the stand I have about a meter square to move around in.

But when I have a place of my own and a larger room I will do what you suggested.

If I was to get headphones to mix on, what would you recommend? Under 200.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Another question:
I also have my eye on a PRS guitar which I am saving for.

GET THE PRS!!

There a super guitar I have a CE 24 one of the best guitars I have ever owned and I'm a old dude with too many guitars !!

but Seriously Get the monitors recordings best investment after your Recording chain is done. ( -> interface - computer - DAW - Guitar tone )

but there is a odd things about them ,..there TOO GOOD !!.

I have a pair of Yamaha ( white cone things forgot the name )

you will blow your mind when you first setup them up and use them WOW

and that is the problem,.. you do a mix sounds great far better then what you were using!! but next morning on the way to work the car stereo ,..sounds average .. at work with headphones maybe not like you remember ?

YES logical having the best reference when mixing is most important there's no other option really... BUT it's get confusing when you get very picky and move to other sound devices ( I have no idea how it sound using Apple headphones should I even try ? )

( This was a light hearted post )

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 05-02-2013 at 08:39 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
jkielq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
GET THE PRS!!

There a super guitar I have a CE 24 one of the best guitars I have ever owned and I'm a old dude with too many guitars !!

but Seriously Get the monitors recordings best investment after your Recording chain is done. ( -> interface - computer - DAW - Guitar tone )

but there is a odd things about them ,..there TOO GOOD !!.

I have a pair of Yamaha ( white cone things forgot the name )

you will blow your mind when you first setup them up and use them WOW

and that is the problem,.. you do a mix sounds great far better then what you were using!! but next morning on the way to work the car stereo ,..sounds average .. at work with headphones maybe not like you remember ?

YES logical having the best reference when mixing is most important there's no other option really... BUT it's get confusing when you get very picky and move to other sound devices ( I have no idea how it sound using Apple headphones should I even try ? )

( This was a light hearted post )

good response. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
Arch1119
UG's Wii

Quote:
This and Reaper.

Please, explain this to me considering that Pro Tools makes the Eleven rack, which is basically an AxeFX with 100% Pro Tools integration of not only what is on the Eleven rack DSP, but also your RTAS and AXX plugins. How is Reaper suited for guitar tracks? If its only good for guitar oriented music, then why even use it? It sure as hell isn't pleasant to use for serious applications anyways so the only advantage is the free.99 factor.
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Arch1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

^ he meant Reaper is better for guitar based music than the DAW the guy is using, ableton lite.

also, Reaper is a perfectly acceptable DAW. just because you find it unpleasant to work with, doesnt mean that other people agree with you.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch1119
Please, explain this to me considering that Pro Tools makes the Eleven rack, which is basically an AxeFX with 100% Pro Tools integration of not only what is on the Eleven rack DSP, but also your RTAS and AXX plugins. How is Reaper suited for guitar tracks? If its only good for guitar oriented music, then why even use it? It sure as hell isn't pleasant to use for serious applications anyways so the only advantage is the free.99 factor.

Has anyone told you you're a dick? Where was PT even mentioned here? and different workflows work for different people, PT isn't the only DAW capable of being used seriously.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:

Really ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch1119

is relation to "guitar based music" yeah But PT also is missing some very cool VST plugins
on the subject of preferred "guitar based music" ,..Live or Cubase or Sonar comes to my mind But you have to think how much "guitar based music" has been produced with PT..

big subject not really related here. because no one asked if he should change DAW's only put it out there if he should upgrade.. sorry Maybe you should IF you feel something missing in your current workflow. if not ROCK On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
^ he meant Reaper is better for guitar based music than the DAW the guy is using, ableton lite.

also, Reaper is a perfectly acceptable DAW. just because you find it unpleasant to work with, doesnt mean that other people agree with you.

between which lines was that ?
and now we have to have interpretation session after reading each post ?

my "translation, interoperation" of Arch1119 post was more about the Reaper being preferred for "Guitar based music" and the fact that statement is abit .
and not a protools flag waving session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Has anyone told you you're a dick? Where was PT even mentioned here? and different workflows work for different people, PT isn't the only DAW capable of being used seriously.

This is a funny read ..

@chatterbox272 are you seriously picking out Arch1119 for a crazy post ?
Where did Reaper come from and why is it Better for "guitar based music" then LIVE ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 05-05-2013 at 02:27 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: