User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
This is a funny read ..

@chatterbox272 are you seriously picking out Arch1119 for a crazy post ?
Where did Reaper come from and why is it Better for "guitar based music" then LIVE ?

Guitar based music is a terrible, terrible term. Generally, Ableton Live is more suited to sequencing for DJs and electronic music (not exclusively, but it is geared for those uses) where as REAPER, Cubase, etc. are more suited to traditional recording. REAPER would have been selected specifically because of the same reason REAPER is always recommended, it's cheap. If he's working with a budget where a set of basic studio monitors are in there, then the options with pro tools are monitors OR pro tools, whereas there is a 99% chance that TS would be able to afford reaper AND monitors. Also, if you look at the posts he made around the same time in a whole bunch of threads you'd see he's just been going on about how everyone should spend as much money as they have access to on recording if they even want to consider it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #22
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Agree Guitar based music is a terrible, terrible term
not matter if your trying to be positive with that label, in the end it's just negative.

labelling any Artist tool is just silly,. Reason is far more in the "electronic music" area then any other DAW's IMO, but I done a album in Reason, so I know you can still do Metal in Reason. and you can't install VST plugins to Reason.

as for Live, once you install a VST amp sim plugin what's missing from your "Guitar based music" toolset ? ,. seriously what is missing ?

the question was,.. should I upgrade my live he did not say change to another DAW.

what is the difference in a "Get reaper" comment & a "Get Protools or Studio one" comment ?

Studio one is extremely good value too and better then Reaper ?

are we just yelling out what we use ever time a subject comes up but protool users have to shut up ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 05-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #23
chatterbox272

I'm not saying it's not possible, nor that it isn't ideal for some people. I do believe though that Ableton Live is targeted at electronic music production, and so for the majority it is not the best option.

The difference between the "get reaper" and "get pro tools" statements is one was (supposed to be) a recommendation saying that typically REAPER is more suited to traditional recording than Ableton Live. The other was "How is REAPER more suited than Ableton because Pro Tools has Eleven Rack. Also REAPER is only good because the trial doesn't end."

If he'd said that he personally prefers Pro Tools to REAPER and would recommend the TS check that out I'd probably have left it alone, but Pro Tools having Eleven Rack has absolutely no bearing on whether REAPER is more suited to traditional recording than Ableton.

Also one other difference is that for the budget it would appear TS has, they couldn't get both Pro Tools + Monitors under budget, whereas REAPER + Monitors should be fairly doable.

I don't deny that S1 is good, there's some people here who really like it. I also don't deny that pro tools is good, it had to do something right to get where it is and stay there. The reason there tends to be a dislike of Pro Tools here (or that's the way it looks anyway) is that most of the people saying to use Pro Tools add stupid comments that say it's the only DAW that can be used seriously, which is bull. If someone told me REAPER was the only serious DAW I'd also do the same thing.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #24
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Hey all cool

I just found the Reaper comment just as silly as the Protools comment ( I uses Protools 10 ) specially when he posted he uses live and just wanted to know if he should upgrade.

Sorry I back well away from comparing any DAW software, personally preference and personally workflow has far more to do the opinions YELLED OUT and augured over then real working knowledge of both packages.

Most people opinions of other packages comes from the marketing they read which adds even more BS to the pile.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 05-05-2013 at 04:21 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
InfantofPrague
Banned

Hi! If you end up buying monitors there is a brief guide here . In general, anything less than $100 would be considered a multimedia speaker. IMO good monitors are worth the investment.
InfantofPrague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #26
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'd personally be wary of any monitor less than about $200/ea.

But that said, if room treatment is impossible, etc., I'm not so sure how helpful even really excellent monitors would be.

In a good room, my monitors are very useful. In a bad room, I can't make a mix to save my life with the same ones.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
jkielq91

Bit of delay in getting back here. But thanks for the responses.

Can any one answer these questions about reaper for me?

What is the maximum number of effects, plugins and tracks you can use in a project?

Does it have any things like virtual drums like Impulse in Ableton?

-

What are people thoughts on this:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/daw-reco...-studio-7xl.asp

Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio.

-Get creative with 64 audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks
-Track and project templates do the set-up for you so you're making music fast
-Play and record MIDI parts in perfect time using Input Quantize
-Record your whole band at once using multi-input audio interfaces at up to 24-bit/192 kHz quality
-Browse over 1 GB of loop and instrument content and preview audio and MIDI loops in time and key with your song to create backing tracks
-Create instrument parts using the DropZone sampler and genuine Roland sounds: drums, bass, guitar, keys, orchestral, and more
-Expand your studio with VST, DX, and ReWire synths, effects, and applications including Reason

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey

Last edited by jkielq91 : 05-12-2013 at 06:25 PM.
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: