Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
ArtistLion

Do singers only sing individual notes or can they also sing chords?

I'm reading a book about the voice, cause John Rheznik from the Goo Goo Dolls really makes me anxious about my own voice. Suddenly the topic question popped up.

If a singer can sing a chord, is that the 'hard powerful raspy-ish' sound you get in rock songs?

Also in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2xeaGFi2q0; at 2:44-3:02; Is the singer singing chords?

Any help would be appreciated?
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

You can't sing chords by yourself. What you are hearing in that The Calling song is him singing one line and then recording a line over it, it's another part a third away. However, yes, you can sing "chords", depending on how you mean.

A solo singer can only sing one line, so he might be able to sing a G. But if you get 2 other singers in there they can sing a B and a D, and thus all of them together will form a G major chord.

You can also sing arpeggios by yourself. That's singing the notes of a chord one at the time. Like if i would sing a G note, then go up to B and then go up to D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
ArtistLion

Ow so that's how singers do it in the studio versions of songs. So I take it that, during live performances, they can have i.e. another band member sing a fifth higher so the passage will sound like a power chord.
Thx alot.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I can sing two notes at the same time. It sounds really weird and I don't really know how I do it. I just learned to do it. (You don't believe me, do you?) It really doesn't sound like harmonized vocal parts though and yeah, in studio people use overdubbing (and when they perform it live, there are usually background singers and you can also have a harmonizer effect). But there's one song that I know where the singer sings two notes at the same time. Listen to the part at 0:31.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/I+m...+And+So/7342129

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 04-30-2013 at 05:24 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I can sing two notes at the same time. It sounds really weird and I don't really know how I do it. I just learned to do it. (You don't believe me, do you?) It really doesn't sound like harmonized vocal parts though and yeah, in studio people use overdubbing (and when they perform it live, there are usually background singers and you can also have a harmonizer effect). But there's one song that I know where the singer sings two notes at the same time. Listen to the part at 0:31.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/I+m...+And+So/7342129

So can i. I just said you can't sing a chord by yourself, which is 3 notes minimum. (Well, probably mongolian folksingers can, but they are an exception!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
StillSoundRG
UG's Banana Penis

Yeah, it's called "throat singing". We learned about it in my World Music class. Paul Pena went to Tuva to learn about it, and even won some Tuvan throat singing contests.

There was no Tuvan to English dictionary, and the nearest thing was Russian. So, this blind singer/songwriter/blues guitarist had to learn Russian, and then translate that into Tuvan. Talk about dedication.

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
StillSoundRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
mjones1992

Yes, the maximum amount of notes one can sing at the same time? 2, so technically that's a chord, although as it stands, most people that sing two notes at a time (often called throat singing), doesn't sound like something that would be desirable in modern music. Most singers sing one note at a time. There are also vocal effects one can apply to vocals to make the end result sound like more than one voice, or a "chord".

EDIT: I will add that sometimes when a singer belts, it can most certainly feel like a chord, or two notes an octave a part. It's more about how strong that note is. It's not necessarily two separate notes, but the singer sings powerfully enough as to infer more than one note.

It's almost like if you were to get a keyboard that plays percussion instruments through midi. Although each "note" seems to be slightly different, they are only inferring those notes. They're not true "notes". So if you were to play a note on top of a percussion note, you'd be playing the note with another inferred tone over it.

EDIT 2: just listened to the video you linked. What you're hearing is definitely a backing vocal track. If you were trying to do this live, I'd recommend either a vocal processor or have one of the other members of your group providing the harmonized vocals.

Last edited by mjones1992 : 04-30-2013 at 07:46 PM.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Yeah backing vocals i'd guess.

I would rather have backing than overdub if it was me. Overdub just isn't natural.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
lennonenglish

there are some singers that can sing chords. Lalah Hathaway does it in a live performance with Snarky Puppy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJIgTLe0hc (at around the 6.10 mark. Rachelle Farrell is rumored to be able to do it and I've heard rumors of Ray Charles doing it, however i haven't found a live version of either to support those rumors. either way... what one human can do... so can another. I've been researching this phenomena for about a month and have yet figured out how to do it. The mere fact that our muscles that enable us to speak are called "vocal chords" give me hope. I'll post an update if i figure it out.
lennonenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: