Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
bartnijman

Question What 212 Cab goes with my Suhr Badger 30 Head?

I tried out the Suhr Badger 30 Head and i''m in love. I heard about it because apparently
Guthrie Govan uses it, and i gotta say its pretty good. Anyway, the place where i am going to buy it, doesn't sell cabinets, and i cant find any on the suhr website either (they are displayed under the badger, but i dont think you actually get it (do they still sell cabs?)) :/

So i'm looking for a 212 cabinet. Budget is around 400/500, but going a little over is OK, as long as the cab is good (getting to 700 would be too much i think). I'm looking for perfect cleans, bright and just big sounding. I also recently got a Koko boost pedal from Suhr for my birthday (also used by Guthrie, but i asked and he said this was just a lucky coincidence), so that will go allongside a tubescreamer and an american strat. The punchiness that Guthries sound has is one of my favourite things, so if there are any particular speakers that have that sound, that would be great.

hope you guys can help me
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
bartnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
mmolteratx
UG God

$700 is probably about right for a loaded Suhr. I think they're custom order only. 112s are available for ~$500, IIRC. I'd grab a Splawn 212 if I were you.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
bartnijman

and if i would get that, should i get the V30's or the creambacks?
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
bartnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
mmolteratx
UG God

Depends on what you want. V30s have that mid spike and a tighter low end. Creambacks are a bit looser with a more balanced frequency response and softer highs.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Bigbazz

Guthrie used the Suhr amps for a short while though his signature sound over the years come from Cornford (Martin Kidd) amps, now with Cornford in a bit of trouble and legal issues and all sorts of strange things happening Guthrie moved over to a "whatever he could get hold of" kind of situation, with his Suhr guitar endorsement this for a short while meant he used the Suhr amps, but then with the end of his Suhr guitar endorsement came the end of his usage of their amps too.

These days he appears to have gone back to Martin Kidd designed amps with the new line of "Victory amps". With Cornford and their unresolved issues over the last 2-3 years it appears their amp designer Martin Kidd has his own new company, with a few other experiments along the way (Jet City Earnhart prototype, which was a Cornford MK50II clone) and some other prototype amps before settling with Victory amps, a new company.

Guthrie has been seen in many videos lately playing these new Victory amps prototypes, some of them having a very (expected) Cornford vibe to them. As for the cab to go with your amp, since you talk so much about Guthrie and his (awesome to be fair) sound, I will suggest you try to find a Cornford 2x12 with V30s.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-30-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
$700 is probably about right for a loaded Suhr. I think they're custom order only. 112s are available for ~$500, IIRC. I'd grab a Splawn 212 if I were you.

+1

You could also consider Splawn Small Blocks for the Splawn cab. They run about $575 new and are custom built with your choice of tolex and such. Similar to Avatar in that regard. Avatars are a bit cheaper with a wider selection of styles and speakers and their convertible back option which might be great if you play a lot of cleans and need a lot of options. I had a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 in my Avatar so I could mike up different speaker types. That seemed to be a good combination. I sold that to gregs1020 and bought a Splawn cab.

I had good experiences with both. Contact Dave at Avatar and Scott at Splawn and tell them what you are looking for. Splawn trumps Avatar (and most others) when it comes to quality and you just cant beat their cab prices. Very reasonable.

I also hear good things about Whitebox, Port City, Emperor, Mesa, Orange, and maybe Framus, I think they make 212s too.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
ikey_

well, have you asked suhr what speakers they recommend? thats a start?

you can e-mail a company like WGS and tell them your setup, tone you want, and what amp (even if tehy dont know the model, tell them the voicing, tube layout etc) and they can make suggestions.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
T7E
All smiles :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I also hear good things about Whitebox, Port City, Emperor, Mesa, Orange, and maybe Framus, I think they make 212s too.

Dude. Quote one of their vertical 212s right now.

RIGHT NOW
Chasebliss Audio Warped Vinyl
Diamond Compressor
Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz
Strymon EL Capistan
Barwatt Rocket 30w
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Some of the best sounding 2x12's I've heard were Oranges. I'd definitely check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: