Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Line 6: bass pod or X3 with bass amp sims: your opinion?

Hello,

I am looking for a rack-mount bass simulator for home practise and I have a chance to buy either a Bass pod xt pro or an X3 pod pro. Both are used, reportedly in good condition and for a similar price, but I wonder which one to buy. On one hand: the Bass pod is theoretically a piece of hardware designed specifically for bass, but on the other hand the X3 has a lot of bass amp sims too plus it appears to be more versatile - and itīs stereo, which I would appreciate because I love stereo choruses, mostly for my fretless (but I have a fretted bass, too)....

And since I donīt have the chance to compare both pods before buying one of them, I would really appreciate your personal experience. Which oneīs better and why?

Thanx a lot in advance!

Last edited by Airfish : 05-01-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
They have exactly the same amp models (I checked their manuals) and the X3 also has some guitar amp models and other stuff. I would get the X3.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert
 
barnesybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The Pod X3. The Bass Pod is from the XT series which the X3 replaced so one can only assume newer = better with Line 6 gear.
That and I like the X3 stuff :-)

EDIT: And the X3 has a much better interface!
__________________
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesybaby
The Pod X3. The Bass Pod is from the XT series which the X3 replaced so one can only assume newer = better with Line 6 gear.
That and I like the X3 stuff :-)

EDIT: And the X3 has a much better interface!


Interface! I forgot to ask about it.... you mean also the editing PC software?
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert
 
barnesybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Yes and no. I do prefer Pod Farm (X3) to Gear Box (XT) but what I really was referring to is the interface on the device. The X3 has more screen real estate that allows you to see what you are doing when you make changes to a preset etc.

I reiterate - Get the X3.
__________________
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesybaby
Yes and no. I do prefer Pod Farm (X3) to Gear Box (XT) but what I really was referring to is the interface on the device. The X3 has more screen real estate that allows you to see what you are doing when you make changes to a preset etc.

I reiterate - Get the X3.


Right, I get your point completely now. Thanx!

And maybe a speculative question: do you think Line 6 is about to come up with some sort of a HD version od the bass pod, or at least with more HD bass amp sims for the existing HD Pro? Iīm asking because I already have the HD Pro (I use it for guitar and Iīm really satisfied with it). But Iīm running out of patience, as for HD bass sims for it. Maybe you know that the only available HD bass amp sim is the Flip Top. No more.... The Line 6 people sent me links to a whole bunch of bass patches, based on guitar amps. One ore two were OK, at least the ones based on the Fender Bassman. But thatīs it.... So what do you think? Should I keep pulling my hair and wait for more HD bass stuff, or should I buy a used X3 to have more bass amps sims, before people stop selling them as used stuff?
__________________
Fender Black Paisley Strat
Ibanez DN 520
BC Rich KKV
Epi 1960 LP Tribute
ESP LTD EC401B
Engl E530
Marshall EL84 20/20
2 Celestion-loaded 212s
Epi J.S.Baxter accoustic
Schecter Stiletto Studio 6
Ibanez SR-06 dfrttd
Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert
 
barnesybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I wouldn't hold your breath on Line 6 bringing out new stuff for bassists. The HD Bass range would be the logical step for them to take next but since when did L6 use logic :p

If I were you I would buy the X3 and should a Bass HD come out in the near distant future then there is nothing stopping you upgrading then.

I know people that still use their X3 for guitar even though the HD is out because the X3 has more amps and some sounds they like.
__________________
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
barnesybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Airfish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesybaby
I wouldn't hold your breath on Line 6 bringing out new stuff for bassists. The HD Bass range would be the logical step for them to take next but since when did L6 use logic :p

If I were you I would buy the X3 and should a Bass HD come out in the near distant future then there is nothing stopping you upgrading then.

I know people that still use their X3 for guitar even though the HD is out because the X3 has more amps and some sounds they like.


OK, so you seem to be the millionth person I came across, not expecting anything logical from Line 6.... in that case it really makes sense to buy the X3 right now....
__________________
Fender Black Paisley Strat
Ibanez DN 520
BC Rich KKV
Epi 1960 LP Tribute
ESP LTD EC401B
Engl E530
Marshall EL84 20/20
2 Celestion-loaded 212s
Epi J.S.Baxter accoustic
Schecter Stiletto Studio 6
Ibanez SR-06 dfrttd
Tech 21 SansAmp RBI
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesybaby
The Pod X3. The Bass Pod is from the XT series which the X3 replaced so one can only assume newer = better with Line 6 gear.
That and I like the X3 stuff :-)

EDIT: And the X3 has a much better interface!


Meh.

I've got the bean version of the Pod XT Bass and it's very good. If there's a price difference (and if the X3 is more expensive) there's really no reason to get the X3 unless you're going to be using for guitar as well. Bass doesn't do much for you when played in stereo (there's no stereo imaging to be had), so there's little to no benefit there. While the X3 is newer, the models are the same between the XT and the X3. Where guitar is concerned, the X3 has some advantages (there, stereo can make a small difference, and you can set up two rigs for wet and dry at the same time).
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
dspellman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Good question regarding Line 6 and any upcoming bass offerings. I'm sort of on the hunt for a Variax Bass 705 (the five-string Variax bass); I don't see Line 6 bringing out anything new for the bass community, and those were very very good basses.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Meh.

I've got the bean version of the Pod XT Bass and it's very good. If there's a price difference (and if the X3 is more expensive) there's really no reason to get the X3 unless you're going to be using for guitar as well. Bass doesn't do much for you when played in stereo (there's no stereo imaging to be had), so there's little to no benefit there. While the X3 is newer, the models are the same between the XT and the X3. Where guitar is concerned, the X3 has some advantages (there, stereo can make a small difference, and you can set up two rigs for wet and dry at the same time).

Did you read the OP? TS said he likes stereo chorus. Also both of them cost the same.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.