Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Itscoolbro

New Guitarist: Where do I begin?

So I just ordered my Epiphone G-400 SG, so when it comes in next week a long with my amp and stuff, where do i begin?
Itscoolbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

First of all, congratulations on starting your journey.

To the question at hand, it depends really.

Have you had any previous experience guitar or are you completely new to it?

What bands artists are you into/do you strive to play?

There are many ways to begin playing guitar, i believe most of us on this site started out in different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Itscoolbro

I've never had any experience with a guitar, only with trumpet ;p

And I like the old linkin park, AC/DC, and oldies really, Ozzy.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Well i can say already that you are in luck, cause AC/DC is not difficult at all guitarwise. I don't personally listen to them so i can't really guide you in the direction of what songs are more and less difficult.

Anyway. I would recommend you start by getting the basics down and getting familiar with the instrument. That would be all the open chords (C, A, G, E, D) as both major and minor chords. I am aware that i left out 7 other tonal centers to build chords on, but they are not open chords and require you to play barrechords, which you will get to later. Try looking up "open chord diagrams" on google.

Knowing what notes are where on the fretboard. (Work from the string notes. For example the thickest string is tuned to E, then F is the first fret of that string and such). A good resource to practice this is the "Fretboard note identification" exercise on this site. http://www.musictheory.net/exercises

Then of course, try to learn some easy songs using the chords that you learn. As said, i am not the guy to ask on easy AC/DC and such cause i don't listen to them, maybe you even have to start with more simple stuff like 4 chord pop songs.

But that's a start. Send me a message if you need help with anything, and hopefully this was helpful to you. You will get other great advice from the other people here aswell, i'm sure.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Lessons. From a professional instructor. Most music stores offer them.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
MaaZeus

For a complete beginner and if you do not want teacher for reason or another, I full heartedly recommend you go through atleast the Beginners Course on Justin Sandercoes youtube channel. Great lessons and so easy to understand.
http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

His vids helped me immensively when I started practicing guitar seriously. After that I have been in Tab practicing spree, trying to learn my favourite songs before continuing the theory side.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Just for clarification of why I recommended finding a good instructor - books and video courses are really good, but they won't catch any of your mistakes or flaws. Mistakes and flaws, if not caught early enough, eventually turn into bad habits. Bad habits can hinder your forward progress and cause you to be discouraged.

Not everyone can afford a private instructor, but if you can, I highly recommend finding and using one. Even if you only use an instructor for a few months, you'll still be money ahead.

A good instructor can help build a strong foundation.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
spdonalds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Just for clarification of why I recommended finding a good instructor - books and video courses are really good, but they won't catch any of your mistakes or flaws. Mistakes and flaws, if not caught early enough, eventually turn into bad habits. Bad habits can hinder your forward progress and cause you to be discouraged.

Not everyone can afford a private instructor, but if you can, I highly recommend finding and using one. Even if you only use an instructor for a few months, you'll still be money ahead.

A good instructor can help build a strong foundation.

I second this. I had been playing for three years before I could pick effectively. After I had lessons in person with a professional I noticed substantial improvement. Even after I had to stop those I was able to progress on my own faster.

Like some people said though, it also depends on what you want to do in the long run. If I had to start over again I would have focused an equal amount on theory as I did on technique from the beginning.

That's just me, though.
spdonalds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

A good teacher can make a huge difference, especially right at the start, when guitar is at it's most confusing. If a new student arrived liking the bands you do I'd love to teach you, those bands all lend themselves to beginner guitar players. TNT by AC/DC or Crawling by Linkin Park would be a great start.

If you want to teach yourself, JustinGuitar on youtube is the best free resource.

Prepare to have a lot of fun!
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
monkey801

Where you start is up to you... But my advice to you is that wherever you're headed with guitar playing, please remember these two crucial words, pinky finger. Don't neglect it. You'll thank me someday.
monkey801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
deltadaz

I guess its been mentioed but justin's site is awesome place for beginner to intermediate player
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

The chords E A and D - that's where I'd always tell someone to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey801
Where you start is up to you... But my advice to you is that wherever you're headed with guitar playing, please remember these two crucial words, pinky finger. Don't neglect it. You'll thank me someday.

I hope you mean fretting hand pinky... Don't plant your pinky with your picking hand. You will regret it someday!!
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
I hope you mean fretting hand pinky... Don't plant your pinky with your picking hand. You will regret it someday!!

I'm pretty sure he meant with fretting hand. And its true. Stretching is awkward at first and the pinky feels so weak and short and annoyingly connected to the ring finger, but do not neglect it! Use it!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

i'm still trying after 2 years to stop planting my picking pinky. they're right, a good teacher will help you learn without the problems of having to unlearn a bad habit. much faster to learn it right the first time. i do think that the F chord is important to learn early on. it's the hardest one to get effectively but getting it makes all the ohters easier.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
Itscoolbro

thanks everyone for the help! my guitar comes in tomorrow, very excited to get started!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

I am recently started making video lessons on youtube. You could checkout the video's about Power Chords and Open Chords.
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

^ don't just spam your links around if you want to stay unbanned. Feel free to post to answer people's questions but you can't just go around promoting yourself.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
gijsheijnen84
Gijs Heijnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
^ don't just spam your links around if you want to stay unbanned. Feel free to post to answer people's questions but you can't just go around promoting yourself.

Oh I am sorry, no bad intentions. But this topic was started by a beginner player. So I thought I would post some beginner lessons. I don't think it's spamming when it's ontopic and I am trying to help people out. Right?
gijsheijnen84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: