Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Pyrotechie

No desire for covers?

When I started playing 4 years ago, I learned almost every song I had ever listened to. I can probably play the entire discography of the Foo right about now haha.

But ever since I started writing my own songs, I've had almost no desire to learn covers. Sure, I can still play a few on the acoustic, but friends always expect me to show off with some kickass cover song that I just literally can't feel myself playing. I guess to put it simply, I write what I'd like to hear out of a song and really can't feel doing covers anymore.

Sounds a lot more conceited now that I've written it out haha, but is this a normal thing? Any other musicians have this feeling?
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
MissingSomethin

Welcome to level 2.
It took me like 15 years to get there.
MissingSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Pyrotechie

Glad to know you feel my pain lol. It's just a weird transition.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

on one hand you shouldn't feel like you need to learn covers for the sake of it unless you're planning on playing a set or something, but it is important to learn to transcribe and actively listen if you're talking about covers that you just learned off tabs or what-have-you.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
ExDementia
UG Freak

It's really funny, I just recently realized that too. After I got serious with my band (~2 years ago), I haven't learned a cover song since. I didn't even think about it until we were playing a show and this drunk guy kept asking me to play some Metallica for some reason between songs and it hit me that I only remember maybe 4-5 riffs, when I used to know how to play songs by them all the time.

Oh, how we change,
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
hamza hashmi

wow, same here. i just get turned down after learning a few licks of a guitar solo. so i go over a song learn a few licks/riffs that i like and grab a backing track. and off i go improvising for the rest of the day.

check it out.
hamza hashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Well as long as you don't want to join a cover band I guess it's ok. I like both - learning other musicians parts always helps you get new ideas that you can use in your own playing.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
ha_asgag

It really depends on how you play and what the songs might be. IMO, if you merely "bang out the chords" then it might not be really inspiring but if you play a cover song where every note sounds close to perfect or with a sense of taste then that song is still worth playing.

I still like the idea of copying the greatest hits of some artists note for note, as well as attempting to write/record my own originals.

Last edited by ha_asgag : 05-02-2013 at 02:39 PM.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
sjones
UG's Analrapist

I'd say you'll find the vast majority of guitarists in bands making original music are in the same boat. Since at least ~90 of my band's set is original material (and that's the 1hr plus set, shorter sets usually have maybe one cover if any) I only really learn covers that we're going to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
innovine

I like working on covers some nights when I'm not inspired or too tired to improvise. Covers are useful as they set a clear goal and opportunity to focus on technique and expression.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
TravisWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechie
Sure, I can still play a few on the acoustic, but friends always expect me to show off with some kickass cover song that I just literally can't feel myself playing.

Sounds a lot more conceited now that I've written it out haha, but is this a normal thing?

Great question. As an artist to prove yourself, you have to walk a careful line delivering what the crowd wants and being true to yourself. I heard it put best once, people really want to hear YOU!

It's always a struggle to balance crowd pleasers and originals. No one said artistic integrity was easy... but I'd like to encourage you to keep writing. The world needs more people who will write new songs. Sing new songs. But in the same breath, other people's songs are what inspired me to do music in the first place. It's a tribute. It's sometimes about pleasing the crowd. Don't abandon covers. Sing them your own way! But if I had to choose, I'd rather hear YOU!
TravisWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
cdgraves

Approach other people's music as a lesson, not just something to play.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
spdonalds311

I've been playing for five years and I'm right at that transition period from covers to originals. Covers are not as cool to me as they used to be, but like the above poster said they are good lessons because every song is different and has different techniques.

At first, writing songs seemed impossible but after years of playing and some music theory it started happening naturally, and that's when I spent a lot less time learning other artists' songs and more time trying to create my own stuff.
spdonalds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I never cover leads, I always improvise my own in the same style. It's really kinda lame to do the lead exact, I don't know how people like Vai can handle doing FTLOG 10,000 times the same, even if they wrote it.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Pyrotechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
I never cover leads, I always improvise my own in the same style. It's really kinda lame to do the lead exact, I don't know how people like Vai can handle doing FTLOG 10,000 times the same, even if they wrote it.

Oh god, this.

If I'm doing any lead live or just jamming, I feel the need to change it up each time to spice it up a little. I can see why a lot of big musicians do this now, back in my covers phase I just got upset that they didn't keep to the original.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

I think its healthy practice to continue to learn other peoples music. I neglected that for years and my playing starting becoming stale. Covers make all the money too
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechie
Oh god, this.

If I'm doing any lead live or just jamming, I feel the need to change it up each time to spice it up a little. I can see why a lot of big musicians do this now, back in my covers phase I just got upset that they didn't keep to the original.

If you're performing the song you should learn the leads whenever it's something the audience would recognize.

Otherwise, it's still worth learning the leads for your own education, even if you just jam through the song.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: