Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #41
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
Link?


You don't need a link, it's a subjective argument. You're effectively saying something similar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
WilhelmTGFRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I love how my thread somehow turned into an Agile vs Gibson thread, I really just wanted to make sure they didn't suck.

Ordered a baritone off them, will post results..
WilhelmTGFRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #43
peskypesky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmTGFRyan
I love how my thread somehow turned into an Agile vs Gibson thread, I really just wanted to make sure they didn't suck.

Ordered a baritone off them, will post results..


Cool! Looking forward to your review. Which model did you order?
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #44
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmTGFRyan
I love how my thread somehow turned into an Agile vs Gibson thread, I really just wanted to make sure they didn't suck.

Ordered a baritone off them, will post results..

Yeah for the price, Agile is a good value for the most part.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
WilhelmTGFRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
Cool! Looking forward to your review. Which model did you order?

Flat Black Agile-2000 off eBay.

Even if I'm not happy with it, it's really more of an experimentation piece anyway.
WilhelmTGFRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #46
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
 
dementiacaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Cool dude, yeah pretty much anytime you have a thread like this the fanbois flock and start making preposterous claims, I just want to make sure no one who casually reads this gets this idea that you can spend 300-500 bucks and get an instrument on par with a 2k guitar

They are pretty decent grabs, certainly could do much worse, and the perfect thing to experiment on.
__________________
Right back at it again.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #47
evmac
Baroness Lover
 
evmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
I've played countless Epiphone Les Pauls and I play one as my backup, but I would say my Agile AL-3100 is a superior guitar. It has a graphite nut, the pickups are better, the cap is a higher grade Canadian maple wood than what is used on an Epiphone. It's not the quality of a Gibson, but to me there's a noticeable difference between those two companies. My back up is still a good guitar, just not quite up to snuff when I compare it to the Agile.

The parts may not quite be as good as whats in my Fender MIA Tele, but they're pretty damn close.
__________________
Gear:

Fender Tele
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Stiff 90-AD 50H
POD HD 300
Randall 2x12 wV30s
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #48
peskypesky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Cool dude, yeah pretty much anytime you have a thread like this the fanbois flock and start making preposterous claims, I just want to make sure no one who casually reads this gets this idea that you can spend 300-500 bucks and get an instrument on par with a 2k guitar


If both guitars were made in the same country, with similar labor costs, then your argument would be stronger. But when the 2k guitar is made in a country with much higher labor costs, its quite possible the guitars will be similar in quality. And then if you factor in that Agile has almost no overhead (no advertising/no marketing) and no middlemen (buy direct from warehouse), your point becomes even weaker.

The four times more you're paying for a Gibson is going to higher labor costs, large advertising budgets, large marketing budgets, large paychecks for corporate bigwigs, and also a chunk is going to the retailer (Guitar Center, etc).

Of course, this is not proof that a $500 Agile is the equal of a $2000 Gibson...just some facts to consider.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
jpcl
Registered User
 
jpcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
If both guitars were made in the same country, with similar labor costs, then your argument would be stronger. But when the 2k guitar is made in a country with much higher labor costs, its quite possible the guitars will be similar in quality. And then if you factor in that Agile has almost no overhead (no advertising/no marketing) and no middlemen (buy direct from warehouse), your point becomes even weaker.

The four times more you're paying for a Gibson is going to higher labor costs, large advertising budgets, large marketing budgets, large paychecks for corporate bigwigs, and also a chunk is going to the retailer (Guitar Center, etc).

Of course, this is not proof that a $500 Agile is the equal of a $2000 Gibson...just some facts to consider.


We know you really want your agile to be compared to a Gibson, and that you have the best Slash tone so you can irritate everyone by playing Sweet Child everyday, but don't expect people to take you seriously when you make absurd comments.

Like it's been said a million times (maybe more) on this forum, and many others, Gibsons have a few guitars who don't live up to their true standards, but there's a reason why everyone in the world doesn't own an agile, which people should if they were really as good, and costing a fraction.

Everyone sell their guitars and buy an Agile. It's cheaper then water, yet better then a Gibson. Everyone must be blind!

Last edited by jpcl : 05-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
jpcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #50
BeeScreamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
**Disclaimer, I am not saying Agiles are better than all Gibsons

With that out of the way, peskypesky does have a point. you are paying for the fact it was made in America. By that I mean you are getting a higher quality workers for the fret work and finishing touches, as well a quality checks. But watch the Gibson factory tour video and they are using a CNC machine for the bodies and routing inside. A CNC is supposed to be accurate each time, doesn't matter what continent it is on, so if a Korean man makes it, it should be the same body each time.

So to me it would not cost another $1500 just to make a neck and the little extra cost for better electronics. So I would assume that a lot of that is going towards overhead (advertising, salaries, warehouses, and a big part is the middle man as they always mark up about 30%, which is about $600). I am sure some of it might be higher quality wood, which is were the extra quality comes in.

If Agile guitars became as big as the Gibson name, you would be paying $2000 dollars for an Agile guitar because their cost of operation would inflate. And then everyone would be sitting on these boards arguing to others that their new brand of guitar is no way better than an Agile guitar.
BeeScreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #51
peskypesky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcl
We know you really want your agile to be compared to a Gibson, and that you have the best Slash tone so you can irritate everyone by playing Sweet Child everyday, but don't expect people to take you seriously when you make absurd comments.

Like it's been said a million times (maybe more) on this forum, and many others, Gibsons have a few guitars who don't live up to their true standards, but there's a reason why everyone in the world doesn't own an agile, which people should if they were really as good, and costing a fraction.

Everyone sell their guitars and buy an Agile. It's cheaper then water, yet better then a Gibson. Everyone must be blind!


don't let cold, hard facts get in the way of your gear snobbery!
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #52
Kamikaze1014
frothy beer is good beer
 
Kamikaze1014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilhelmTGFRyan
Flat Black Agile-2000 off eBay.

Even if I'm not happy with it, it's really more of an experimentation piece anyway.

Oh man I posted something along the lines of this when I ordered my AL-2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze1014
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I just ordered an Agile(flat black AL-2000)

Hopefully it will be good. Been wanting to try an Agile for over a year now, and at $260 with shipping, it's not to bad of an investment. If I end up not liking it, so be it.


It's one of the worst guitars I've ever owned, but Agile is an inconsistant company. Yours could be alright.
Kamikaze1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #53
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
don't let cold, hard facts get in the way of your gear snobbery!


Someone else asked this, but you never answered: how many Gibsons have you owned?
Be honest, I'm not attacking you by asking this, or even writing off your comments.
It's all subjective, of course, but it's worth clearing up a bit. If you've owned Gibsons, I'd be interested to know which models, as well as the number of Agiles you've owned and those models.
I won't argue that there isn't gear snobbery when it comes to particular brands - but you're not actually providing "cold, hard facts" here, just lukewarm, flaccid opinions. You don't know the overhead cost of factors outside of what you've presented (product development, environmental regulatory factors, patent renewal cost, etc.)
__________________
OffsetOffset
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
If both guitars were made in the same country, with similar labor costs, then your argument would be stronger. But when the 2k guitar is made in a country with much higher labor costs, its quite possible the guitars will be similar in quality. And then if you factor in that Agile has almost no overhead (no advertising/no marketing) and no middlemen (buy direct from warehouse), your point becomes even weaker.

The four times more you're paying for a Gibson is going to higher labor costs, large advertising budgets, large marketing budgets, large paychecks for corporate bigwigs, and also a chunk is going to the retailer (Guitar Center, etc).

Of course, this is not proof that a $500 Agile is the equal of a $2000 Gibson...just some facts to consider.

Yes in the USA we like to get paid good. Yes you will pay a premium for the Gibson name, but I think after 100+ yrs of being in business they can afford to charge those premiums if they choose( I don't see them going out of business any time soon).

I'm deff not a Gibson fanboy at all (cause PRS will shit on everything) but they make some very nice desirable instruments.

I have not heard anyone say that Agile makes a bad guitar. But the fact is even budget Gibsons are made with better quality materials and components than agile is. If you are happy with your Agile that's great and I'm sure it is a diecent guitar.

And I have already asked before, how many Agile and Gibsons have you bought and owned in your life?
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #55
MrSandMan
Gear-Monkey
 
MrSandMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Big Rapids, Michigan
I'm a huge fan of Agile guitars, they are on the same level as high-end Epiphone guitars and would suggest one to anyone looking for a great axe at a good price. I've talked to the owner and he is great people. Very honest and helpful. I don't think you can go wrong, buy.it.
__________________
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

GUITAR VAULT - RUTHELESS HATE FOR THE LOVE OF AXES

Guitar Sucks! | Guitar Finder | Hard Guitar Songs
MrSandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #56
radarlover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I have an alpine white Agile 3100. It is a pretty nice guitar and very nice considering the price. I put a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities in it and it is a very capable axe, lots mojo and great tone. Build quality on par with Gibson? eh not from my experience but then again its not a 2k guitar either. I have it hanging on my wall next to me right now as I changed strings on it last night. I will probably not get rid of it because I can never replace what it is for what it is worth.
radarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #57
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
 
dementiacaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh/Durham, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
If both guitars were made in the same country, with similar labor costs, then your argument would be stronger. But when the 2k guitar is made in a country with much higher labor costs, its quite possible the guitars will be similar in quality. And then if you factor in that Agile has almost no overhead (no advertising/no marketing) and no middlemen (buy direct from warehouse), your point becomes even weaker.

The four times more you're paying for a Gibson is going to higher labor costs, large advertising budgets, large marketing budgets, large paychecks for corporate bigwigs, and also a chunk is going to the retailer (Guitar Center, etc).

Of course, this is not proof that a $500 Agile is the equal of a $2000 Gibson...just some facts to consider.


I consider all these facts, the only one that really seems relevant is the labor cost. I doubt Gibson has need for lots of advertising, guitarists all over the world are endorsed by them and do their advertising for them. I rarely see Gibson anywhere except music catalogues, which are paid for by retailers.

If you can show me some figures for those "corporate bigwigs" we will talk, but I am not convinced that all the executives for Gibson are super rich.

As far as retailer charges, what is Rondo Music? As far as I was aware, Rondo doesn't make Agile or any of the other products in house, so I am sure they get a chunk of cash, even it is smaller, though talking with Guitar Center employees, they don't make a killing on Gibsons, the mark up isn't good enough.

Lets not mention the cost of importing the guitar to the U.S. Shipping ain't no joke.

I am not trying to pretend I have hard figures to back this up, I don't, but you don't seem to either, so your argument seems a little invalid.

Point is, I can't think of anything that Agile does that is truly better than a Gibson. The electronics are kind of lackluster, the hardware is cheaper, the wood is lower quality, the finishes aren't as well done..... I could go on.

Agiles are cool, but they are not in the same league, period.
__________________
Right back at it again.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #58
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I seem to remember this conversation with our friend in regards to Squiers.

I think there's definite buyer justification here. I dont think you can objectively say that an Agile is realistically a comparable guitar.

Gibson has a better quality of wood, not just the breed of wood but the quality of said breed. Carved tops, pleking, nitro body and neck, premium binding, better quality control, good customer service and warranty and so on.

Of course there is an element of inflation based on the brand, but to say that results in the extra 1300 in cost is somewhat ludicrous.

I mean, mine is perfect. It's literally outstanding looking with no fault anywhere. It really is a prime example.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #59
WilhelmTGFRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Just got mine in.

Played it for a couple hours, HONESTLY, this thing is solid.

It's not as good as any Gibson I've played over the thousand dollar price range, but it beats a few of the fadeds I've played, and I'm willing to say it's better than the LPjs that Gibson is making now.
It's just a really playable guitar, after a few small adjustments that is.

The pickups on first impression are better than what I'd expect from an Epi LP in the same price range, probably going to toss Duncans or GFSes into it.

I have to play it for a few weeks to do a proper review though, see how it holds a tune, get a real feel for her, but right now, its a HELL of a player for the price.

Last edited by WilhelmTGFRyan : 05-09-2013 at 09:56 PM.
WilhelmTGFRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #60
FlightofIcarus
Registered User
 
FlightofIcarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: near Seattle, WA
I own an Agile Septor 727. The features for the money that come stock were largely what attracted me to it, and the beautiful finishes they come in was a plus. I decided to take the gamble on one after hearing mixed opinions about their QC. It was between that or an LTD 7-string of some kind, but I'm glad I went with what I did. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better guitar than LTD's though - just for comfortable for ME to play on any my preferences.

And although not really a direct comparison of sorts (Since I didn't get an AL-model), on the whole Agile vs Gibson thing - Just from playing unplugged, the SG I own is on a higher level of quality all around - Better wood, craftsmanship, and overall natural feel and tone.

Bottom line opinion based on my experience? Stellar budget guitars for sure - But they're not the high end guitar "killers" that some people claim them to be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahChaney
Nothing about a 7 string guitar is different than a 6 string except for extra string. You don't play it differently, you don't lick it differently, and you certainly don't take it to cheap restaurants either, you saucy boy.

FlightofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.