Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

A really dumb question.

So let's say i have a loaded pickguard that doesn't match the colour of the body at all. Instead of unwiring everything and rewiring it to a different pickguard, is it possible to just screw on the matching pickguard right over top of the loaded one? Aside from being a really thick guard after that, is it possible? Would you need longer screws? Would it mess with the bridge? Has anyone tried this or am i out to lunch.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

You don't have to rewire anything to replace a pickguard. Assuming this is a strat that is...
Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

In fact, wtf am I on about. I've never seen any guitar with a pickguard soldered into the circuitry.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

For the trouble you'd need to get the new pickguard on top, you'd be taking off the old one anyway. All you do is loosen a few nuts that hold your potentiometers.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

No guys you dont get what im saying. Literally just screwing a pickguard on top of another one that's already in the guitar. Is that possible.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
sonofgkex

How freaking lazy are you? There's no soldering involved, and all you have to do is unscrew things and measure pickup height from strings.

Unless you mean that you have one of those Dimarzio things for people who cant change their own pickups. In that case you could totally do what you said with longer screws.

My recommendation, learn how to do maintenance on your own guitar so you don't have to rely on lazy options like loaded pick guards and such crap.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgkex
How freaking lazy are you? There's no soldering involved, and all you have to do is unscrew things and measure pickup height from strings.

Unless you mean that you have one of those Dimarzio things for people who cant change their own pickups. In that case you could totally do what you said with longer screws.

My recommendation, learn how to do maintenance on your own guitar so you don't have to rely on lazy options like loaded pick guards and such crap.

Sorry for asking a question. There is zero reason for you to react so childishly and dickishly. Forgive me for being new at modding guitars and not knowing jack shit about electronics. Fuck off if you're gonna be a dick.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Bigbazz

Only one way to find out. You're asking as if you're expecting someone to have tried it already.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Pablo Mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
Sorry for asking a question. There is zero reason for you to react so childishly and dickishly. Forgive me for being new at modding guitars and not knowing jack shit about electronics. Fuck off if you're gonna be a dick.

All anyone's trying to say is that, once you've taken the screws off, you only have to take the nuts off the pots and the pickup switch to completely remove the hardware (still wired) from the scratchplate, thus allowing you to attach the new scratchplate, just by putting them nuts back then putting the screws in again
Pablo Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Vypor
FoxHound Elite

With as much as you seem to care about it, I'd just use a sharpie in whatever color you prefer.

Having stacked pick guards sounds stupid, probably looks stupid, and will undoubtedly be uncomfortable.

Of course, to each their own. . .
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
sonofgkex

Quote:

Sorry buddy, some advice happens to come with strings attached. If you ask a stupid question then be prepared to be informed that you have done so.

Even a fundamental understanding of how pickups and guitars work could have told you the answer to your question.

I don't know, maybe before you ask if the bridge would be affected by the pick guard you should take a sec to look at your guitar and realize that the bridge doesn't touch the freaking pickguard. (I assume we are talking strat-type guitars here)

Maybe you just thought extra plastic would interfere with the magnetic field of the pickups?

Maybe you should just go to a guitar shop and get it switched by a professional because you don't know what you're doing.

For the record, I didn't know you were new to this or anything. Your question made it sound like you were just too lazy to change a pick guard because of the way you phrased it, and my animosity was directed more toward the products themselves than you. But now that you whined so much about how butthurt you are I really do think you're a little pathetic.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Sorry buddy, some advice happens to come with strings attached. If you ask a stupid question then be prepared to be informed that you have done so.

Even a fundamental understanding of how pickups and guitars work could have told you the answer to your question.

I don't know, maybe before you ask if the bridge would be affected by the pick guard you should take a sec to look at your guitar and realize that the bridge doesn't touch the freaking pickguard. (I assume we are talking strat-type guitars here)

Maybe you just thought extra plastic would interfere with the magnetic field of the pickups?

Maybe you should just go to a guitar shop and get it switched by a professional because you don't know what you're doing.

For the record, I didn't know you were new to this or anything. Your question made it sound like you were just too lazy to change a pick guard because of the way you phrased it, and my animosity was directed more toward the products themselves than you. But now that you whined so much about how butthurt you are I really do think you're a little pathetic.

Man, the things that must keep you awake at night. I dont have the body and pickups or pickguard yet, which is why i was asking. Maybe a keyboard warrior like yourself finds it normal to just flame someone new to gear building for asking a noobish question, but most of the folks here are actually helpful without being a supreme asshole about it like you. Why does this even bother you so much? If you find it a dumb question--as i even clearly stated--then why even answer at all with this garbage attitude of yours? When i have all the things i need, maybe i will take it to a professional luthier. Which company do you work for? Maybe a "professional" like you can show me how to put some nuts and bolts together?

Seriously man. Get the hell out of here and please dont come back if all you're gonna do is be a dick. This is not the pit, i asked a plain question hoping for a plain answer, not some ass looking to get his latest raging e-boner by being an elitist.

To you other guys who actually helped, thanks. Ive never removed a pickguard before so i didn't know.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Rusty_Chisel

So this guitar is not even assembled?

I think people's responses are really more out of actual anger that you are going to do such a half assed job on it than that you asked a dumb question. People take modding and building very seriously. To just take the easy way out (which I don't think its easy, this has the potential to create issues down the line) is almost an insult (a little melodramatic I know).

Listen to what the people are telling you here. Do it the right way or else it will be extremely frustrating project and you might give up. This is extremely fun hobby. I just got a house with a garage that I am turning into my workshop for all of my tools for building and I can't tell you how excited I am about planning my next build in there.
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It won't work. The pot shafts will not fit through a second guard, nor will the pickup selector switch. Additionally, since pickguard edges are bevelled, the two guards won't line up on top of each other smoothly; there will be a significant gap where one gets narrower and then the wider side of the other sits on top, overhanging.

As for people syaing you don't have to solder guards in, yes, you do. If the guitar is properly shielded you will need to solder the shielding (be it paint or tape) to ground and you also have the jack which usually can not be removed or changed without soldering, since very few guitars are routed to allow a complete jack to be attached to a pickguard form outside the guitar and then pushed through. You also have the bridge ground wire which runs through the body of the guitar and also needs to meet the ground on the pots or pickguard.

So there's your answer. Way to be dickheads, everybody else.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
sonofgkex

Quote:
Ive never removed a pickguard before so i didn't know.

Step 1: Get a screwdriver
Step 2: Remove the strings
Step 3: Unscrew the pick guard
Step 4: Tie all the strings around the screwdriver as tightly as possible so you won't lose it when you do step 5
Step 5: Lubricate the screwdriver and jam it up your ass so that it sits right next to your left ear. Keeping it in close proximity to your head will help you remember where it is and how it is used.

These simple tips will prevent you from forgetting how screws work in the future, and taking the time to use old strings as a removal device saves time and reduces waste. I hope my very simple guide has helped you in some way.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
sonofgkex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Way to be dickheads, everybody else.

I think we were really too busy telling him how stupid he was to seriously consider his idea. I mean, only a finite number of very special people would even consider doing this a serious option.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:

Because you're not a dickhead at all, are you?

Just unscrew the pickguard and have a look inside to see whether you need to do any soldering. You might as well just start as you mean to go on if you are serious about guitar modification.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 05-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
It won't work. The pot shafts will not fit through a second guard, nor will the pickup selector switch. Additionally, since pickguard edges are bevelled, the two guards won't line up on top of each other smoothly; there will be a significant gap where one gets narrower and then the wider side of the other sits on top, overhanging.

As for people syaing you don't have to solder guards in, yes, you do. If the guitar is properly shielded you will need to solder the shielding (be it paint or tape) to ground and you also have the jack which usually can not be removed or changed without soldering, since very few guitars are routed to allow a complete jack to be attached to a pickguard form outside the guitar and then pushed through. You also have the bridge ground wire which runs through the body of the guitar and also needs to meet the ground on the pots or pickguard.

Ok yeah. I wasn't expecting it to work, or even be a good idea, but i thought i would ask anyways.

Quote:
Step 1: Get a screwdriver
Step 2: Remove the strings
Step 3: Unscrew the pick guard
Step 4: Tie all the strings around the screwdriver as tightly as possible so you won't lose it when you do step 5
Step 5: Lubricate the screwdriver and jam it up your ass so that it sits right next to your left ear. Keeping it in close proximity to your head will help you remember where it is and how it is used.

These simple tips will prevent you from forgetting how screws work in the future, and taking the time to use old strings as a removal device saves time and reduces waste. I hope my very simple guide has helped you in some way.

Ah so you are an expert in these things . Sounds like you have a ton of experience with these 5 steps--how many screwdrivers have you lost up there? Also does it matter what gauge of strings i use? Which gauge did you use to retrieve the screwdriver from that far up your anus? Or actually you probably still have them stuck up there which explains your hilarious complex and unreasonable, unjustified anger towards something so insignificant.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
sonofgkex

Quote:
unjustified anger towards something so insignificant.

Yeah, that's you in a nutshell, buddy.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Yeah, that's you in a nutshell, buddy.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/anger

im not angry. a little shocked at how babyish your behaviour is in this thread maybe, but not angry

by the way i know a good proctologist for your screwdriver problems, if you're interested
Bitches be Crazy.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: