Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
mickel_w

Recording guitar into iMac with garage band.

So, I've recently wanted to look into recording my own music, you know, just for the entertainment. I want to directly record the guitar and piece together some drum parts using built in kits (i might get a MIDI keyboard), same with bass ( don't have a bass, thats why im not gonna record that too).

The thing is, no matter what I do, I can't get a good sound. I mean seriously. All my recordings sound crap. I am using the Line 6 POD 2.0 for this. It is on DIRECT mode, and I'm using a x2 jack connector to a 1/8 (mini) jack which goes straight into my Mac into the built-in stereo input. I have tried both setting the Garage Band amps on clean and getting a sound from my Pod and vice versa. Is it just the soundcard? Or would I have to buy a USB interface, and plug my guitar into the Pod, then that into the interface, and into my mac?

Any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated. I'm new to recording so yeah, there might be an obvious answer out there, but from the research I've done there isn't one.
mickel_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Its the soundcard. Look at our Interface Sticky and go from there. I suggest going from the guitar direct into your interface and use one of the amp sims in Garageband since they're miles better than the ones on the Pod 2.0s
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
mickel_w

Well, thanks for the reply, I've checked out the thread.

Kinda off-topic but... If the pod 2.0 isn't for recording, and it doesn't have good amp sims, then... What did I spend my 100 on O.o I use it as a pre-amp to my Line 6 Spider 15 Watt, but it's really not that easy to get a good sound on it. Would you recommend selling it and using the money to buy a decent interface, like the Line 6 Tone port GX? I have heard it is good for recording, but what about the amp sims? Are they the standard/variety of Pod 2.0 ones?

Also, buying an interface will eliminate the problem of having a bad soundcard?..

Sorry, I'm a newb.

Last edited by mickel_w : 05-04-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
chatterbox272

You spent it on a fairly average preamp/silent practicing device. And I'd hazard a guess that the reason you struggle to get a good tone out of it with your amp is that your amp is a Spider, which is like allergic to good tone.
The GX is meh, if you're going to go cheap like that you may as well just get one of these and save your money. It'll do the job as well as the GX will, free amp sims will be at least equal and probably better than Pod Farm, and then if you decide recording is for you then you can put the money you saved towards a proper interface.
Yes, an interface acts as an external sound card so the inbuilt soundcard won't have any effect on it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

The Pods are great little units for someone who just wants to bring that to a gig and run it direct out to the main system. They really aren't meant to be used with amps.

The Toneport GXs are alright if all you ever plan to record is a DI guitar signal (plugging the guitar straight into it). If you ever intend to record Vocals or ever buy an amp worth micing, you'll want something a lot better like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. If you buy an interface, it'll act as the soundcard thus eliminate any problems with it.

The amp sims that come with Pod Farm (which comes with the GX) are okay. You can use them but I recommend checking out the sticky thread we have of Amp Simulators. A lot of the free ones are tons better sounding than Pod Farm.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
mickel_w

Thanks once again. I will see how the free amp simulators work for recording and doing covers, however if I were to perform live, is there any pre amp device which would provide a good tone, even if being played out of an average amp? Preferably one which can also act as a recording interface, that would be pretty awesome.

So, the cheap guitar link interface will produce better quality than my current set up?
Wow, I really should have done some more thorough research,

Last edited by mickel_w : 05-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

None that are really affordable. Probably your best bet is Avid's Eleven Rack. Its a Guitar Modeling & Effects unit that also works as an interface. Its an amazing unit and includes a full copy of Pro Tools which is about $600 on its own. You could also look into the newer Pod units but if you aren't a fan of your current Pod, you probably won't like the new ones either.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
mickel_w

Well, looking at the price tag of the Eleven rack I think I may pass..
I'm only just getting into recording. If I were to take it further I'd definitely consider your suggestion. Also, would connecting my pod to the Focusrite Scarlett and then into my iMac produce good results? I may as well hang onto my pod if there is no affordable option that would fulfil the requirements for both an interface and a good guitar tone/pre amp.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
mickel_w

bump..
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Since tone is a subjective thing, give it a shot and see how you like it. Personally, its kinda meh compared to some of the sims I've spent several hundred on but you may like what you get.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You use Rock Rack don't you? Or is that someone else on the board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Rock Rack is my go to at the moment. I've got a couple of the Plug & Mix amp sims since, if you like their facebook page, they give you 2 free plugins. I'm debating on buying an Eleven Rack since I can pick one up here for $380 without Pro Tools but with the Eleven plugin.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I was thinking about buying Rock Rack... I'm just unsure whether I want to spend 160 on an AmpSim.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I've got some solid Mid/High gain tones out of it. Its pretty much a straight sim so if you're looking for effects, there aren't any (outside of delay). It looks like you can download & try it but I'm not sure how long & how functional it is: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/...x_rockrack.html (Download tab obviously)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Well yeah but the nice thing about that is it focuses on realism of sound.

The only effect I could need is a boost and I have the TSE stuff for that.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Well yeah but the nice thing about that is it focuses on realism of sound.

The only effect I could need is a boost and I have the TSE stuff for that.

Exactly. They boast a 1:1 sound. They're pricey for 7 sims but they did them way better than most.

Rate This Thread: