Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Want to learn about acoustic arrangements, where to begin ?

Hi UG,

I know the basics of chord theory and other stuff but I've had trouble finding new sources to learn about how to make acoustic/classic arrangements (or transcribe existing ones) . Here's an example of what I want to be able to create and/or cover :

There are good lessons here on this website, but I don't know which ones discuss this particular topic, can you help me please ?

Thank you !
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

It's a very egotistical style of playing, popularised by Tommy Emmanuel pretty much, having said that, he's a nice modest guy but ya know. He developed from Chet Atkins. But now, everyone wants to do it cuz it looks flash.

I'm not turning my nose up at it, just cuz I CAN'T do it, but non muso's won't appreciate the amount of skill that goes in to this kinda stuff.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

No the playing isn't really difficult if you use tabs, but learning that stuff by ear seems pretty hard to me, unlike solos that are mostly made of single notes.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Split the bass and melody. Learn each one separately. Do the bass first, cuz that will outline the harmony.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Good idea, but that guy is using a different tuning than standard and I have no experience with that. I also need to find a lesson about melody construction, that guy plays pretty fast so I will probably screw up if I rely on my ears alone.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Chord progression

C - C/E - F - G

Go..
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Dude you have the guy playing right in front of you. I don't mean to sound like a dick but you can just look at what his fingers are doing, and mixing that with your ear it shouldn't be too hard.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

No, the tuning is different... That C you think he is playing isn't a C, because the low E and A are tuned down like, 4 steps. Don't be fooled by the C shape, I know it does look like a C but it's not.

EDIT: I got the bass notes figured out already but how do I make out the melody without relying on chord shapes ?

mac: yeah but he plays pretty fast, and with three fingers, excluding his left thumb that he occasionally hits bass notes with. I'm just looking for an efficient way to learn this tune, it's still perfectly doable if I look at his hands, like you said.

Anyway, this thread isn't just about learning that song in the video, it's about making acoustic arrangements in general, what are the principles used in that ?

Last edited by yoyoloto : 05-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoloto
No, the tuning is different... That C you think he is playing isn't a C, because the low E and A are tuned down like, 4 steps. Don't be fooled by the C shape, I know it does look like a C but it's not.

EDIT: I got the bass notes figured out already but how do I make out the melody without relying on chord shapes ?

Lol. I don't need to look at his fingers to know what he's playing. I use my ears. It's called transcribing.

Listen to the notes of the bass.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Lol. I don't need to look at his fingers to know what he's playing. I use my ears. It's called transcribing.

Listen to the notes of the bass.

My bad, you were right. I thought you were referring to the C chord shape he used at some point (were you ?).
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoloto
(were you ?).

Nope. I clicked play, then looked away from the video. Why? Cuz I had to look at MY guitar fretboard as I was "listening" to the notes.

Ears, buddy.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Hence, the tuning of the guitar is completely IRRELEVANT. Your ears will hear the notes regardless.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
It's a very egotistical style of playing, popularised by Tommy Emmanuel pretty much, having said that, he's a nice modest guy but ya know. He developed from Chet Atkins. But now, everyone wants to do it cuz it looks flash.

I'm not turning my nose up at it, just cuz I CAN'T do it, but non muso's won't appreciate the amount of skill that goes in to this kinda stuff.

I dont really see how this is egoistical?

A guy works on something alone, and thus takes credit for it alone. Is every painter egoistical?

Also a lot of popular artists have many people working behind the scenes on production, live performce etc. Yet only the "face" takes all credit. Now that seems more egoistical.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Thought that'd touch at least SOMEONE's nerve. Woohoo.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
Hail
kill both bass players

something tells me if you can learn it from tabs and not by ear, you aren't playing it very well at all

i'd suggest learning some elliott smith TS, he was good at playing the bass/progression as well as a melody on guitar, then he sang over it to boot. if you can do that, showing off on acoustic is np

Last edited by Hail : 05-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: