Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
GMx

Any producers out there who can help me?

Hello, people. So, I'm having trouble with a couple of songs I'm mixing and I'd reaaaallly appreciate if somebody around here could give me a hand, because this is something really important to me and I don't really know what to do. It's kind of a long story, so it's ok if you don't wanna read all of it, but I'm truly desperate.

show

tl;dr I made drum parts for a couple of songs using a drum machine, later changed them, but they didn't fix the song anymore even though they had the same tempo, and I'm going crazy trying to figure out WTF happened.

Thanks.

Last edited by GMx : 05-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.
GMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Assuming that you are importing the drums as a stereo wav file.... are you?

Is it possible that you imported the new tracks at a different sample rate then the rest of the song tracks?

For instance... The song itself is recorded at 44.1khz, but the drum track is at 48khz, and didn't get converted. Or vice-versa... the song is at 48khz, but the drum tracks are at 44.1.

This will result in the length of the drum track relative to the rest of the song tracks being about 10% longer or shorter.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
radkins2

Does the tempo start on at the beginning and drift off as you get further into the song? How far off are we talking? Seconds or fractions of a beat. If it is seconds I agree with the above post.

If it is fractions of a beat it sounds like a slight difference in the clocking of the two machines. I would try locking them with midi clock or midi time code.

Last edited by radkins2 : 05-05-2013 at 12:31 PM.
radkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
GMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Assuming that you are importing the drums as a stereo wav file.... are you?

Is it possible that you imported the new tracks at a different sample rate then the rest of the song tracks?

For instance... The song itself is recorded at 44.1khz, but the drum track is at 48khz, and didn't get converted. Or vice-versa... the song is at 48khz, but the drum tracks are at 44.1.

This will result in the length of the drum track relative to the rest of the song tracks being about 10% longer or shorter.

CT

Yes, I'm exporting them to wav files. The thing is, thought I don't know much about sample rates, I didn't change anything at all between tracks. Nothing. The song is at 44.1khz, I don't know how to check the sample rate of a track (I didn't see an option to set it up on my drum machine), so I can't tell for sure if it is 44.1 or 48. I was checking the windows wav file information, and it says the first track is 705 kbps, while the second track is 1536 kbps. Does that have anything to do with the delay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radkins2
Does the tempo start on at the beginning and drift off as you get further into the song? How far off are we talking? Seconds or fractions of a beat. If it is seconds I agree with the above post.

If it is fractions of a beat it sounds like a slight difference in the clocking of the two machines. I would try locking them with midi clock or midi time code.

Fractions of a beat, and I feel the delay kind of gets longer as the song plays. But, again, I don't know how could the tracks have different sample rates, since I didn't change anything at all.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
roaraudio

sounds more like an engineer question.
roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Could u post said recording of the 2 tracks together as a audio file?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/xdarrenx

Who's Andy Timmons??
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMx
Yes, I'm exporting them to wav files. The thing is, thought I don't know much about sample rates, I didn't change anything at all between tracks. Nothing. The song is at 44.1khz, I don't know how to check the sample rate of a track (I didn't see an option to set it up on my drum machine), so I can't tell for sure if it is 44.1 or 48. I was checking the windows wav file information, and it says the first track is 705 kbps, while the second track is 1536 kbps. Does that have anything to do with the delay?

Bingo!

The first track is either a mono track at a bit depth of 16 bits and sample rate of 44.1 khz, or a stereo track at 8 bits at a sample rate of 44.1khz. The second is a stereo track at 16 bits and at a sample rate of 48 khz.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:

Last edited by axemanchris : 05-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
GMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Bingo!

The first track is either a mono track at a bit depth of 16 bits and sample rate of 44.1 khz, or a stereo track at 8 bits at a sample rate of 44.1khz. The second is a stereo track at 16 bits and at a sample rate of 48 khz.

CT

So, that was it. Any idea how can I fix it? I don't think that simply "converting" the file anyhow to 44.1 will fix it (I don't know if that's even possible).
Old 05-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Try it and see.

What about this?

Create a new project and import both files. I expect that, whatever software you are using, when importing two tracks of two different sample rates, it will try to make them both the same.

What is the first track? Is that the drums, or the instruments? is it mono or stereo?

CT

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
GMx

Would you recomend any software to convert the track? Will it lose quality or something? I will try with a new project, just in case. The first track is the drum track.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
radkins2

If it is fractions of a beat then it is not a sample rate issue. Two seperate computers can be recording at the same example rate and they might not line up perfectly due to clock errors. No real way to fox it except with elastic audio or locking them together with time code and re bouncing them.
radkins2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: