Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
gh0ul666

seeking advice to get to the next level

Hi,

first of all i wanna say i hope this is the right sub-forum to post this...

Getting straight to the point i wanna show you examples of my playing and ask if you guys could point out specific flaws,
and maybe show some decent direction which could boost up my playing to a new level since i kinda have this "sounds old and 1.000.000 times done(by me)-syndrome".

I guess i'll start off with a lil overview of my progress so far:

I've been playing since 4 years now, starting off with a few lessons, but i soon couldnt afford them anymore but took enough from then to approach my guitar on my own.
I've learned basic chords and rythms, basic use of metronome, some beginner riffs and an introduction to lead guitar from them.

So after this ended i started to focus on practicing technique and there i had it, this one spiritual psychedelic experience that tought me to abuse every noise i can create with my guitar and try to put it in a context, instead of just trying to come up with riffs visualized on the fretboard, after this i spent years IMPROVISING, IMPROVISING and more IMPROVISING, sadly alone and without backing tracks, yet always using a metronome.
That time i did a lot of technique exercises too. I was a Daydreamer believing i was already a rockstar while i'm actually not. (ya know this shit, believing in stuff to make it come true and stuff)

So then the past two years in my life and myself has changed a lot and somehow lost a lot of self-believe etc. just harsh times and i had a hard time to motivate myself to do anything.

now i'm sitting here and am trying since a few months to actually learn music instead of the instrument(got this advice from a street musician i met someday a while ago, thx). now my motivation is coming back after i got contacted by some local metalband who listened to the stuff i put online, for they're looking for a lead guitar player.

Now i got an audition in one week, there's not much coversongs i've learned, and i dont have too much own compositions ( a few chord songs for my acoustic and like 2 half-ass half-finished rock/metal songs).

I favour to play and try to fuse stuff from classic/blues rock over psychedelic rock to metal(prefer thrash but ya know techniqal barriers n stuff..)

So my biggest flaws i'm hoping to work i'd say would be:

-training aural skills (i often wanted, but i never got right through into it)

-legato(dexterity at all)

- rythm (never did much more then the book i did with my teacher, basicly only 8th and below stuff, and some shuffle, shuffle causes me big troubles)

- advanced chords/building chords

(-never got into fingerpicking)

(i cant sing at all, and if i try my throat doesnt keep up long cuz of like 16 years smoking, so i really struggle to find stuff to play alone on my acoustic at campfires n stuff when i really want to)

OKAY SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT

as i said above i'd really love to get advice on my flaws and stuff i could work on to get to a new level based on examples of my playing.

i really really struggle to decide which technique exercises i should do, how many, and what i never see asked, how much i should focus on one exercise to move to the next, i have this techniqe CD which has this program with 12 exercises each day for 30 days i regularly did, it tought me the basic patterns for the modes in C-Ionian, and well different 1234 stuff, but nothing of it is put into any musical context.

this is my latest upload (sorry for the bad drumming from my friend):
(Improvisation)
show

this i played when in besaid harsh times hit me everything at once:
show

this i composed in like 1-2 hours inspired by discovering 432 HZ music/waterpictures:

show

this i composed for campfires:

show

this is played on, i have to admit, one of my psychedelic experiences:
(Improvisation)
show

this i played before my life crushed in on me:
(improvisation)
show

(i have to say i can tell the difference in hope i have in the sound)

theres more on my soundcloud profile but imho not worth to mention.

I still cant afford a teacher again yet, but im looking forward to finally get started playing in a band, so another question of mine would be... What can u suggest to prepare in one week for the audition, on what should i focus in my practice sessions to be able to "get in tune" with them?

e:
current cover repertoire:
- mozart - rondo al a turca (85% of original tempo)
-William tell overtuere (95% of original tempo)
- metallica - seek and destroy (without solo)
- guns n roses - sweet child of mine soloe (50% of original tempo)
- Marilyn Manson - Sweet dreams
- cream - sunshine of your love (without solo)
- plain white T's - Airplane
- Oasis - Wonderwall

Last edited by gh0ul666 : 05-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
gh0ul666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

do you actually like music or do you just like unartistically jacking off all day trying to please people with overwhelming standards who don't exist?

most guitarists are the latter. you say you want to learn music and not your instrument but what you say doesn't indicate that.

i wouldn't try auditioning for a band until you've gained an appreciation for listening to music and have developed a passion for wanting to make art. call it a jackass thing to say, call it harsh, but art isn't about doing your homework. perfect your technique all you like, but of those songs, how many of those did you want to learn? how much of that music did you listen to and enjoy so much you wanted to analyze and understand how they did it?

setting up goals and executing them is great, but if that's literally the foundation of your passion - a listless extracurricular platform on which to climb a latter of excellence - i find it hard to imagine that any music you've made has been anything more than an unfocused exercise in masturbation, and judging from your soundclouds, i'm not very far off.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
ccannon1
Band Geek

As I read this, I thought you were younger than myself. Please work on your grammar.

Uhm, what exactly are you auditioning for?

Are those actually ALL of the songs you know? After four years? Stop worrying about technique and play what YOU want. It really seems that you don't do enough of just enjoying music.

Last edited by ccannon1 : 05-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannon1
As I read this, I thought you were younger than myself. Please work on your grammar.

english isn't his native language, please work on avoiding pointless posts that are incapable of veiling your condescension

if you'd like to criticize me please know that i'm not capitalizing anything because responding to internet garbage is simply not worth the extra wear and tear on my shift key

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!

Last edited by :-D : 05-05-2013 at 11:16 PM.
:-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:
as i said above i'd really love to get advice on my flaws and stuff i could work on to get to a new level based on examples of my playing.

Ditch everything you learned and start all over again. You can't just learn lick after lick who's finger pattern you memorized and expect anyone to listen to you. And improv isn't just playing random ass notes from a scale. Music needs form, and all improv, to be good improv, all has to have a sense of form. Furthermore, you don't really understand melody because all melody has to be singable. For example, if you are writing say, a 4 part counterpoint for vocals, your melody has to have good voice leading, and those melodies, if singable will have a harmonic environment that is primarily tonal with good voice leading..

I can't really help you much more than that without taking your money, but I can recommend you a good book. That is, The Fundamentals of Musical Composition by Arnold Schoenberg
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
english isn't his native language, please work on avoiding pointless posts that are incapable of veiling your condescension

to be fair my pointless posts never try and veil my condescension
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
gh0ul666

first of all i have to say, yes english is not my native language so sorry if my grammar is wrong and something is hard to read.

well i'll also think i have to admit my urge to be unconventional may force me to try to impress too much.

well out of those songs...

rondo al a turca was first meant as a technique etude but the more i've learned it the more i've loved playing it for it's structure and melodies

william tell i've learned because i wanted to be able to play that crazy mood, it's kinda refreshing (try playing it over a WW II video as soundtrack and other various scenes)

seek and destroy was one of my early first songs i kept

sweet child o mine solo is one of those which really is the music created, i dig slashs stuff, planning on the whole song when i get the solo down on a considerable speed

plain white T's - airplanes relaxed saddening melody is really beautiful and lovely to play in those "down moments"

sweet dreams, wonderwall and sunshine for your love was just for the sake of learning something and dont bring to much joy for me playing them.

So far the only good pointer I got was from Erc and ccannon1, so if i got it right my current goals should be to focus on forms of composition and trying to create them more as a harmonic environment instead of trying to boost my melodies over the top?

yet i have to say it's maybe not the holy grail, but i dont find my stuff i showed too bad either, but maybe it's just filled with too much EGO
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #8
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ cool stuff. Im with ccanon - could you tell us what you are auditioning for?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
gh0ul666

just for a local metal band
Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:
So far the only good pointer I got was from Erc and ccannon1, so if i got it right my current goals should be to focus on forms of composition and trying to create them more as a harmonic environment instead of trying to boost my melodies over the top?

A great way to practice is to sing a melody with your voice and then to try to play it on the guitar. Voice is typically a far further developed instrument in most musicians because most languages are tonal. (for example saying 'aw ****...' in a down turn means something way different from 'AW ****!!!' that has an upturn to it.)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
gh0ul666

you mean like this?

show
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
StuartBahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erc
A great way to practice is to sing a melody with your voice and then to try to play it on the guitar.

This is good advice, or even sing what you play as you are playing it. Start simple and got from there.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: