User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #81
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
how can so many people on a site called ultimate GUITAR not like rock or play guitar?

Because people grow up and realize rock and guitar are for children.

I just realized who this really is -_____-

Last edited by blake1221 : 05-08-2013 at 02:56 AM.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #82
Rojam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
He said BASIC. That word's important, JG.

This guy gets it. It sounds vain as shit, I know, but if you don't know even the basic mechanics of what you're doing, I wouldn't call you a musician.

Now, when I say basic, I mean note names, major vs. minor, and basic, simple meter. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone playing (not singing over a prerecorded track) music for a living who doesn't know that.

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Rojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #83
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
Because people grow up and realize rock and guitar are for children.

i think your the one who needs growing up. Rock is a very meanigful genre, more so than others

>_>
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #84
blake1221
‭‭

You betch.

Will.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #85
SunshineMusicO
Spreadin' tha light

Damn you people saying that people who don't know theory shouldn't play music. If anything, the people who don't know theory are more soulful.
Instead of knowing what note to play with a scale, they should FEEL what note to play while soloing or improvising rhythm.

I learned theory and I'm trying to get away from it. I don't want to know what a Bb or an G# is anymore. I just want to know sounds.
However, I don't think that'll ever happen....its embedded in my brain....
But scales? **** scales! I'm playing the notes I want to hear, not the notes that are supposed to be in the scale
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #86
Ghostmaker

- I basically consider myself an atheist but enjoy a lot of Christian bands (Red, Skillet, Creed, Flyleaf...)

- Related^, I think Creed is one of the best bands from the turn of the millenium.

- I don't do this anymore, but I have turned down really great Les Paul style guitars, simply because I couldn't stand that the headstock didn't say Gibson.

- I follow feuds and rivalries among musicians like I'm sure most VH1 watchers follow celebrity gossip.

- "I have a solo project I'm working on". That is what I say to describe my likely endless struggle to stitch together riffs and words I've written into one Frankenstein of a "song".
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #87
rollertoaster

-I think Matchbox 20 is great.
-"The Black Parade" album from My Chemical Romance is awesome.
-I play through a Line 6 Spider IV.....
-Consider myself a guitarist but play bass in more bands/have had more success as a bassist.
-If you can't coil a lead properly around me, you're gonna get a f in lesson. Gets on my tits when people can't
rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #88
EndTheRapture51
thank u based ramsey <3

1. I ****ing love Taylor Swift.

I mean...look at her.

Her music is decent.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #89
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMusicO
Damn you people saying that people who don't know theory shouldn't play music. If anything, the people who don't know theory are more soulful.
Instead of knowing what note to play with a scale, they should FEEL what note to play while soloing or improvising rhythm.

I learned theory and I'm trying to get away from it. I don't want to know what a Bb or an G# is anymore. I just want to know sounds.
But scales? **** scales! I'm playing the notes I want to hear, not the notes that are supposed to be in the scale

You clearly never learned the first thing about music theory if it never ended up being useful in your writing. You just want to know sounds? Well, then it's a good thing the entire point of music theory (besides communication) is so you know how things are going to sound before you play it, so you can play the notes you want to hear.

Covers:
STS - Emersion - Dual Guitar/Bass
STS - Redwoods - Dual Guitar
BTBAM - The Backtrack - Bass/Guitar
BTBAM - Sun of Nothing - Guitar

Last edited by Macabre_Turtle : 05-09-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #90
Shotgunmerc
UG's Scootaloo

I think theory is a nice tool, but it has to be used properly. If you abuse it, your music will just end up sounding soulless and meaningless, but if you don't use it at all, things could turn into a jumbled repetitive mess.

For me, I just play whatever comes out. If there's something memorable in there, I focus on it, refine it, and go from there. If I'm having trouble building off of it, I'll use theory to break it down and try to find an alternative to what I'm doing. But I try not to use theory to dictate everything I do.

Just my two cents anyway I'm sure other people will have approaches that work for them.

Walking alone tonight
'Cause I've only got room for two
Me and my burdened black heart
It's all we know how to do
Shotgunmerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #91
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMusicO

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good! This is how it should be. Focus on the key and whatnot. Now, l2usetheoryproperly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle

You clearly never learned the first thing about music theory if it never ended up being useful it your writing. You just want to know sounds? Well, then it's a good thing the entire point of music theory (besides communication) is so you know how things are going to sound before you play it, so you can play the notes you want to hear.

I feel like we should put this post up in the MT forum; so that every time one of those "FEEL THE MUSIC" types pops in, they get bashed in the face with the truth of the matter.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #92
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

SunshineMusic's post has opened my eyes. I will now embark on a quest to totally unremember where all the Bb's and G#'s on the fretboard are so that I can truly play with feeling. Before this point I had never even considered the possibility that knowledge of those notes was mediating my capacity for raw musical expression. Thankyou Sunshine, your name will live on through the ages.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #93
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

1. Metallica will always have a place in my heart, I still listen to them all the time. Even after 15 years of being a fan, I still find their music entertaining.
2. Avenged Sevenfold have written a couple of good songs.
3. If the song has lyrics: if the lyrics suck, the song sucks.
4. I am slightly biased towards Gibson because I like the idea of owning a guitar synonymous to having a rich history.
5. I find it hard to get into a new band for some reason.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 05-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #94
bebert

1) I don’t have the sense of rhythm.
2) I really don’t care about the sound of my guitar. and that don't intress me at all
3) I own 4 Kylie Minogue albums and I listen “Light Years” quite often and I still like it.
4)I can’t sing or holding a note
5) I have long hair because Dave Gahan had them like that in the SOFAD period (and I bought a white trouser…)
bebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #95
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51

I mean...look at her.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEGpeCjCAAAHaxn.png[img]

Her music is decent.

She's ugly and all her songs are the same.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #96
SunshineMusicO
Spreadin' tha light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
SunshineMusic's post has opened my eyes. I will now embark on a quest to totally unremember where all the Bb's and G#'s on the fretboard are so that I can truly play with feeling. Before this point I had never even considered the possibility that knowledge of those notes was mediating my capacity for raw musical expression. Thankyou Sunshine, your name will live on through the ages.

You're very welcome sir!!

But now, seriously, think what you people will. I'll continue to enjoy playing music
Damn yall are harsh

I gotta get my hippy ass outta this thread
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #97
Bazz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51

I mean...look at her.

Her music is decent.

DSLs for a white girl.

Anyways,
1-5) I frackin' suck at music.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #98
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
1) I've been playing guitar for 5 years and there's people who've been playing for 6 months who are much much better than me. I can't even play leads.

2) I was into rap in middle school and early high school because all the hot girls were into rap. I didn't discover decent music until my junior year of high school.

3) I haven't changed my strings in two years.

4) I give people gear advice despite owning a Squier Strat and a Peavey Vypyr.

5) I like to fart in the glass acoustic rooms in Guitar Center so I can watch the reactions of people who go in after I leave.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #99
Bladez22
so dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
1) I've been playing guitar for 5 years and there's people who've been playing for 6 months who are much much better than me. I can't even play leads.

2) I was into rap in middle school and early high school because all the hot girls were into rap. I didn't discover decent music until my junior year of high school.

3) I haven't changed my strings in two years.

4) I give people gear advice despite owning a Squier Strat and a Peavey Vypyr.

5) I like to fart in the glass acoustic rooms in Guitar Center so I can watch the reactions of people who go in after I leave.

This cosmic dance of decadence and withheld permissions twists our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend.

Bladez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #100
metalblaster
UG Newbie

1. Blasting Katy Perry is awesome while getting a bj.
2. Listening to Meshuggah while on Jack3d while doing a workout is dangerous but awesome.
3. I can listen to SRV all day and night if I have beer to drink.
4. I ****ing love Slayer.
5. I've listened to Patio Lanterns way too many times while drinking on a patio with lanterns.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: