Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
Yes, I'm nonsensical... and don't understand how to apply theory. Will you offer to teach me pls, mac?

Troll harder.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
evolucian

Not trolling. Just want to understand what all the fuss is about.
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Not trolling. Just want to understand what all the fuss is about.

And displaying your ignorance of it all. Now, go read the article in the OP. Then, read Hail's post. Then, go re-read what I posted.

Edit:
And read Mac's links.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
evolucian

But that's quite a lot to read. Can't you just sum it up. Musictheory.net is more than one page, and they're big pages. Didn't click the others cos the first one scared the crap out of me. A summary would be nice.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
Hail
kill both bass players

respect your elders, boy. evo's forgot more theory in the last 10 minutes than you've learned

to be fair, writing music out with charts and approaching it logically is a valid way to write music. isn't the schillinger system completely based out of that? people with a strong ear can do that, however, because they hear what comes next and write it. the pen is just as valid as a guitar as long as it gets the job done that the composer wants it to get done.

this doesn't mean that music should be masturbatory, but i'd say a soulless written approach is no less detrimental to the whole artform than an unbridled "shredder" messing with his guitar and throwing it into guitar pro or protools or his brain or whatever he's using to get his ideas onto a legible front.

as i said above, though, theory is an analytic process, and even approaching in a purely mathematical manner, you absolutely have choices outside of what notes you're playing next that allow you to express your musicality however you see fit. how you handle that depends on how you are as an artist and a musician, not on the system.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
jazz_rock_feel
A Joke Ban Broke My Title

Where is the line between theory and compositional technique?

I seriously have no idea what the word theory even means. And even better, I'm not sure it matters.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel

I seriously have no idea what the word theory even means. And even better, I'm not sure it matters.

i like this
Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
evolucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel

Good question jrf... I'm hoping someone can answer this without pointing me to musictheory.net again
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
:-D
hi

kill me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
respect your elders, boy. evo's forgot more theory in the last 10 minutes than you've learned

Age is not an automatic pass for dismissing things one appears to not understand. If evo really does understand tons of theory and is just testing us, then he's being a dick.

Quote:
But that's quite a lot to read. Can't you just sum it up. Musictheory.net is more than one page, and they're big pages. Didn't click the others cos the first one scared the crap out of me. A summary would be nice.

Tell me, have you ever used a guitar tab? Or sheet music? Or even chord charts?

If so, you've used theory, albeit the most basic aspects of it.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-07-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax

lol
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
evolucian

Quote:

I've never used any of that. But I did look through a chord dictionary once... are those the chord charts you are referring to?

But you have piqued my interest as to using guitar tab. How is it theoretical in its basic aspect?

Last edited by evolucian : 05-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #33
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
I've never used any of that. But I did look through a chord dictionary once... are those the chord charts you are referring to?

Yes...

Now, go do some reading. Ugh...

Why should we hand you the "golden keys" here? Do your own work.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
evolucian

Quote:
Yes...

Now, go do some reading. Ugh...

Why should we hand you the "golden keys" here? Do your own work.

Thats rather elitist of you. Don't proclaim to know something and not share it... very very selfish.

So having looked at a chord dictionary once, I know the basic aspect of theory. Guess there's no need for me to go to musictheory.net now... I sort of know most of it then
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Thats rather elitist of you. Don't proclaim to know something and not share it... very very selfish.

No, it's not. It's a simple matter of not having the time to do it. (Besides, I'm not a very good teacher. ) Also, I suspect you clearly have the skills to do it and can therefore do it in as long or as short of a period of time as you choose, if you choose to learn theory. By giving you several links to music theory websites, we're giving you a few tools to aid in learning theory.

Even assuming one of us on UG spent the time teaching you theory for a few months (which is a generous amount of time, as some people study complex theory for years), you'd still have to do work. We're simply saying, "Here! This will aid you in learning. Now, go do your homework." If you choose not to learn theory, whatever, that's your decision.

Quote:
So having looked at a chord dictionary once, I know the basic aspect of theory. Guess there's no need for me to go to musictheory.net now... I sort of know most of it then
Look, if you can write great music without theory (I assume using solely your ear), great!

But to dismiss learning theory entirely, that's like saying no one should learn how to read because they can just tell stories. Theory being the written stories here, and stories being the played sounds of songs. (Yes, it's a ridiculous comparison, but it was meant to be.)

Quote:
I never dismissed anything. Merely used your advice that looking at a chord dictionary has given me the basic aspect of theory... yet I still don't know how. Everyone has time to do things... some are just selfish

Ugh, really? You honestly think selfishness is the real reason? I have a programming assignment due here soon. Enjoy your life thinking we're all selfish bastards.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-07-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #36
evolucian

I never dismissed anything. Merely used your advice that looking at a chord dictionary has given me the basic aspect of theory... yet I still don't know how. Everyone has time to do things... some are just selfish

Way to go at putting the response to this question in the previous post. Programming assignment... on ug.

Quote:
Even assuming one of us on UG spent the time teaching you theory for a few months (which is a generous amount of time,
A few months? Hell no... a simple post would do... summarise! It can't be that much... but alas:

Quote:
as some people study complex theory for years)

What is this? What is complex theory... sounds worse than the websites you sent me to. Pls explain

Last edited by evolucian : 05-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I don't like it when people say "they wrote this with/without theory".

When you know theory, you can't "write without theory" because you are pretty much aware of what you are doing, even if you didn't pay attention to it. There's no such thing as writing without theory. But theory by itself doesn't write songs. You need to write your own songs by yourself. You make the choices, theory doesn't make any choices for you.

To write a good song you don't need to know theory but knowing theory helps because it explains what you are doing and you are aware of what you are doing.

And why would being aware of what you are doing make your songs sound worse?

You have your theory knowledge and you use it automatically. It doesn't limit you nor make your songwriting better. Songwriting skills differ from theory skills. Even if you know lots of theory, you might not be a good songwriter. Of course theory helps in songwriting because it's easier to write a song when you are aware of what you are doing but you need to make choices, not theory. Lol, seems like I'm repeating myself.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
evolucian

^Just a bit. But I think if you say theory one more time it'll sort of even things out
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #39
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
^Just a bit. But I think if you say theory one more time it'll sort of even things out

Theory.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #40
evolucian

Woohoo. 13 lines in previous post, only 12 mentions of theory. +1... all good now. OCD in order.... but then again... somethings amiss

edit: Is there a theory to songwriting? If so, what is it? I'm only asking because people like throwing the theory word around and I think this is a good question... one which crazyman can possibly answer.

Last edited by evolucian : 05-07-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: