Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Toxic_Noname

Arrow Building some Overdrive Pedals (w/ Pictures and Sound Samples!)

Hi GB&C,

in the last few months I have started to build some DIY guitar effect pedals. And now I finally came up with something that sounds really good.

I decided to build some more of these things to sell them to friends, locally or even on eBay.

And I wanted to share my experience building them with you guys, and to see if you have any input for me.

The pedal is based on an Em-Drive by Emerson Custom Guitars, but I have added some parts and tweaked it to my liking. But I have not finished experimenting with it yet. I also tried to get some of the best available parts to make it a high quality build.

Anyways, here is a picture of the first boxed up prototype I built. (Sorry for the crappy quality...)

I just ordered most of the parts to build some more of these. I'll just have to wait until they show up...

So, tell me what you guys think. Are you interested in the procedure of building some guitar pedals and want to see some more pictures?

edit: I am now finished with designing and improving the pedal, so these are actually for sale now.

Here are the full specs of the pedal:

- vintage voiced boost/overdrive effect
- very dynamic and transparent
- usable with a standard 9V DC power adapter (center negative)
- true bypass switching
- bright orange status LED, good visibility at every light level
- one volume and one gain control
- compact and solid metal enclosure
- protected against use of the wrong power supply
- very low noise while operating, no additional noise in bypass mode
- unique design, each pedal is hand painted and one of a kind:
- you get to choose what your pedal is going to look like
- best possible parts used (highly selected for optimal tone):
- high quality 3PDT footswitch for reliable true bypass switching
- Neutrik/Rean input and output jacks
- Alpha potentiometers
- NOS paper in oil capacitors (military graded)
- low-noise metal film resistors (1% tolerance)
Here are the links to the sound samples:

The pricing on these pedals is the following:

89 Euro ~ 115 US Dollar ~ 75 GBP

+ shipping to you.

If anyone is interested in buying one of these, you can drop me a private message anytime.

Last edited by Toxic_Noname : 05-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Toxic_Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
jakub421

That would be cool. As a fellow DIYer, its always nice to see what others are creating.
jakub421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
supersac

i like pics
i also build pedals recently trying to get a decent looking and not just functional pcb board

just made a delay pedal and fuzz face clone they sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Toxic_Noname

Okay, thanks for your input guys. I'll keep you posted with some pictures.

This is actually the first boxed up pedal that turned out looking good. All the other ones were quite messy...

Here is what it looks like on the board:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
supersac

im not too crazy about the halloween colors >.< haha
but hows it sound?

Quote:

my bands soundcloud
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Toxic_Noname

Yeah, me neither. But I like that 'striped look'. I think I'm gonna stick with something similar for the next version...

It's pretty much a medium gain overdrive. Really has a nice vintage sound to it, perfect for blues and rock. It's pretty dynamic and doesn't change your basic tone that much. But you can also turn the gain down and use it to push your preamp. It can get a little fuzzy if you turn the gain all the way up, which also sounds quite interesting.

If I have the time, I'm gonna record some licks with it in the next days to let you hear it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Viban
UG's resident bum

I think I'd prefer black and white in that pattern, maybe offer some options when you sell it? make people feel like they have options and they'll jump right up in your lap.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Granted it's not the exact same looking as the zakk wyldes bullseye...it looks very similar to the zakk wylde over drive, just from the rings. And yes I realize that yours has a lot more rings, but that pattern is recognizable to a product all ready, if you wanted to make your own design and brand, it may not be the best idea. Just my opinion of course, so take it as you will. Can't wait to hear it!!!

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Arab_Philosofer

Looks way cooler than that zakk Wyld logo, keep the posts coming dude.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
supersac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic_Noname
Yeah, me neither. But I like that 'striped look'. I think I'm gonna stick with something similar for the next version...

It's pretty much a medium gain overdrive. Really has a nice vintage sound to it, perfect for blues and rock. It's pretty dynamic and doesn't change your basic tone that much. But you can also turn the gain down and use it to push your preamp. It can get a little fuzzy if you turn the gain all the way up, which also sounds quite interesting.

If I have the time, I'm gonna record some licks with it in the next days to let you hear it.

that soudns cool have you tried puuting a boost in front of it alot of medium gain overdrives get real good sounded when layering gains IMO ofcourse
any change of getting any gut shots?

Quote:

my bands soundcloud
Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #11
Toxic_Noname

Customizable Colors would be a great idea. I already thought about that before. I could do something like 'Combine your own custom guitar pedal!'...

I have tried the black and white combination before. On a Feedback Looper I built. Looks like this:

You're right with the similarity to the Zakk Wylde design... Thats not really what I'm aiming for, I'd rather create something new. Seems like I'm gonna have to play around with some more patterns.

I haven't tried the boost thing yet, thanks for the idea. I have an LPB-1 lying around, I'm gonna test it when I have the time.

Here's a gutshot for everyone thats interested:

I think it looks pretty good on the inside. But theres one thing I'm not happy with. Currently the circuit board is held in place with some electrical tape. Is there a better method to do it, or is it fine?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
supersac

i usually use double sided tape unless i find a box that has a screw hole for mounting
i guess you could make your own and bolt the board to the case somehow but for me for now tape is doing its job pretty well

Quote:

my bands soundcloud
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
Toxic_Noname

Okay. Tape will sure do the job for quite some time. At least it won't be flying around in there. It also prevents the whole thing from shorting out, if anything on the board is touching the grounded box. We'll see if any problems come up...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Toxic_Noname

I have just finished my first demo recording of the prototype pedal. No fancy editing, just a few raw sound samples. Here it is:

Let me know what you think. There are also some more recordings to come, with different guitars, amps and pedal settings...

Last edited by Toxic_Noname : 05-19-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
supersac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic_Noname
Okay. Tape will sure do the job for quite some time. At least it won't be flying around in there. It also prevents the whole thing from shorting out, if anything on the board is touching the grounded box. We'll see if any problems come up...

to stop the board from shorting out on the box i paint the inside of th ebox with some spray paint it work

edit hear the recording sounds pretty nice
would have been nice to hear the whole range or the pedals knobs turning and whatnot would help to judge it better

Quote:

my bands soundcloud

Last edited by supersac : 05-07-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Toxic_Noname

Yeah, spray paint should work, too. Maybe I'll try that the next time.

Thanks, glad you like it.
Yep, there are more sound samples coming for sure, I just didn't have the time to cover up everything yet.

I have been thinking about the painting thing and I liked the idea of having customizable colors. To identify the pedal, they will all have the same black striped pattern on them. I just need a nice idea how that should look.

Anyways, to see how other colors look like with the pedal, I decided to give the next one a yellow/brown tweed kind of look.

Here is what the unfinished and drilled box looks like:

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

You can also check out smallbearelec.com, they have pcb board mounting materials. Essentially little plastic adhesive risers, they're cheap enough, and will look better for the ones you actually sell. You can probably find something similar local as well.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by scguitarking927 : 05-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Toxic_Noname

You mean these little white things? I actually have a few of them lying around. But I haven't used them yet, because i didn't want to drill larger holes into the veroboard I'm using.
But I could maybe fit one or two of them in there for the next build, as I look at the gut shot. I'll just try it.
Good quality and looks are definitely the way I want to go with these things, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Toxic_Noname

Time for a few updates...

These just arrived today:

I will use some of them to protect the pedal from the use of wrong power supplies. I wanted to include them in the first version, but it took like 20 days until I finally got them. They had a long way to go from China.

The painting of the box for the second prototype has also started. The sides will be brown with yellow labeling, the top will be yellow. Just like an old Fender Tweed amp. I'm also sticking with the theme of having a pattern of black lines on the top, but I didn't come up with something good looking so far...

All the other parts are also on their way now, so I should be able to start building the second pedal sometime next week.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Nice builds, it's always cool to see other builders/modders gear

If you're into this in the UK it can be a bit of a bitch to get kits - very handy for beginners. The site I use also sells just PCBs for different pedals etc. so it works quite nicely if you wanna keep costs down.

I think for a full Fuzz Factory kit (Board mounted pots, pre drilled case, switch, pcb, components, jacks) it's about 40. If you bought the PCB by itself (6) and the box (~11), you could probably shave about a tenner off the overall price. If you're interested just google poodles pedal parts, it'll come up.

I promise I don't work for them, their kits have just made my life so much easier in the past and I probably wouldn't have gotten into this if not for them

Rate This Thread: