Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Issues with my RG 350M and the Edge III

Hey UG'ers

I need guidance as to how to sort this out...
I've an Ibanez RG 350M that I really love. But it's been nothing but trouble ever since I got it. :/
I've been constantly going back and forth from the local luthier sorting issue after issue, but it never seems to rectify itself.
The guitar never stays in tune, and when it does, there is some sorta problem with the intonation, and everything beyond the 12th fret is almost a semitone lower in tuning, particularly with the high-E string.

My friends, bandmates and fellow musicians just keep telling me the following:
-Get fretboard leveled again
-Replace bridge
-(Most people told me to, including the luthier) buy a new guitar

Is there any way I can fix this problem with the guitar? I'll be using the guitar for gigging and some recordings soon, and I can't use it like this, and can't afford to buy another anytime soon.

What could I do to fix this, at least temporarily?
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Other problems I had:
-Faulty volume knob (replaced)
-Faulty jack, causes massive feedback (needs replacing)
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
meatjesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Take it to a different luthier, explain your problems, hear his advice. In my opinion, swap the bridge, get a full set up, be sure to have the neck properly set. Regarding the jack, replace it, simple as that, if you have the money, replace all the electronics. Has the volume knob given any more trouble?
meatjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
GuitarViking
Bånned
 
GuitarViking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norway
Couldn't you get the luthier to set the intonation? Also, remember that you have to really stretch the strings if you want the bridge to stay in tune, as well as making sure the bridge is properly set. Read through this website, it'll probably be useful for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
GuitarViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Bigbazz
Registered User
 
Bigbazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quality bridge replacements are not cheap, around £200 for Edge Pro, Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge, on a guitar that could have other issues aside from a cheap trem.
__________________
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960A
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarViking
Couldn't you get the luthier to set the intonation? Also, remember that you have to really stretch the strings if you want the bridge to stay in tune, as well as making sure the bridge is properly set. Read through this website, it'll probably be useful for you.


The Luthier did set it. But the problem still persists, particularly with the high e
I don't want to trust another luthier. He's hard to reach, and it costs more to travel there than to service my guitar, but he's the most trusted luthier by most of the artists in the country, and there are hardly any good, experienced luthiers here...
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Sell the guitar and get something else. The cost of resolving those problems is going to cost more than what the guitar is worth.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bonta
If you want to follow your gut, you must first acquire a gut.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatjesus
Take it to a different luthier, explain your problems, hear his advice. In my opinion, swap the bridge, get a full set up, be sure to have the neck properly set. Regarding the jack, replace it, simple as that, if you have the money, replace all the electronics. Has the volume knob given any more trouble?


No more trouble from the volume knob. The dude put in this really good US made pot, can't remember the brand right now...
The pickups are actually good. They're not the best, being the Ibanez Infinity Series, but they offer the kind of versatility I'd need, so not considering swapping the pups.

nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Sell the guitar and get something else. The cost of resolving those problems is going to cost more than what the guitar is worth.


Is there any other guitar offering the same specs for the same price, that would hopefully be a better option to move on to?
Mostly the floyd and the maple fretboard?

Was looking at the Kramer Striker 211:
http://www.kramerguitars.com/Produc...triker-211.aspx
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Rust_E_Stringz
Registered User
 
Rust_E_Stringz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
go buy the same model and keep this problem child for parts! imo
Rust_E_Stringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis_911
Is there any other guitar offering the same specs for the same price, that would hopefully be a better option to move on to?
Mostly the floyd and the maple fretboard?

Was looking at the Kramer Striker 211:
http://www.kramerguitars.com/Produc...triker-211.aspx

used Ibanez RG550
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bonta
If you want to follow your gut, you must first acquire a gut.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Not exactly an option to find used guitars here... :/
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
m33sta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis_911
The Luthier did set it. But the problem still persists, particularly with the high e
I don't want to trust another luthier. He's hard to reach, and it costs more to travel there than to service my guitar, but he's the most trusted luthier by most of the artists in the country, and there are hardly any good, experienced luthiers here...



The Luthier did not set it otherwise it would not be out

Try another Luthier.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Post pics of the bridge and nut.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #15
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Post pics of the bridge and nut.


Ok, cool
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
HowlerMonkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: West Palm Beach
What string gauge are you using?
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
What string gauge are you using?


Gauge 9, D'addario Prosteels
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
nemesis_911
The Noob...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sri Lanka
Pictures of bridge and nut attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (64.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (68.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-3.jpg (66.4 KB, 44 views)
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
m33sta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
erm those strings are rusty as hell, there is no way a luthier would put them back on and try to intonate them

Last edited by m33sta : 05-13-2013 at 06:06 AM.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
omnilux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Did someone leave that guitar out in the rain or something?
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.