Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
DarthV

Strings that old and rusty aren't staying in tune and intonation problems? Get a new set of strings and see what happens after that. I'd also look at corrosion on the saddles, knife edges and trem posts!
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
nemesis_911
The Noob...

Ok I know the strings are rusty as hell, only cos I've been doing nothing but trying to fix the intonation on this thing >.<
It was like this even with the new Ernie Balls the luthier put on...
As for the bridge and the rust on it... it was kinda like that when I got it... :/
nemesis_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
nemesis_911
The Noob...

But still, doesn't really explain my negligence in the case of the strings :/
I can still assure you, it's not the rusted strings, it's been like this since I've got it.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #24
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I don't follow. The strings are rusty, but somehow that is ok with you?

And I also don't understand how a guitar is only out of tune after the 12th fret. Either it's a problem with your fret placement, or you're not explaining the problem correctly.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #25
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis_911
But still, doesn't really explain my negligence in the case of the strings :/
I can still assure you, it's not the rusted strings, it's been like this since I've got it.

so you are asking for our help (seemingly) needed and tell us what is and isn't wrong.

the strings are rusty. they need to be replaced. you will not get shit set up right with those strings in that condition.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
nemesis_911
The Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
so you are asking for our help (seemingly) needed and tell us what is and isn't wrong.

the strings are rusty. they need to be replaced. you will not get shit set up right with those strings in that condition.

Look, the point is... no matter how many times I set it up, it won't work out! The problem still persists!
This is after many visits to the luthier, and I've just left it here, waiting till I get a new set of Cobalts, to go to the luthier again.

In the meantime, I thought I should ask the people as to what could possibly be wrong.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Before you make a thread complaining about how your guitar is not staying in tune, why couldn't you just wait until you actually got a set of strings that can?

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I don't believe for a second that you've had a proper setup, with new strings from an experienced luthier, and your intonation is off.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
nemesis_911
The Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Before you make a thread complaining about how your guitar is not staying in tune, why couldn't you just wait until you actually got a set of strings that can?

I've done all I thought I could, I was hoping I could find a few answers as to what I'm doing wrong...
and getting a pack of good strings shipped here takes a month or two anyways.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
nemesis_911
The Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I don't believe for a second that you've had a proper setup, with new strings from an experienced luthier, and your intonation is off.

Look, I don't know how better to explain it...
I've kept getting it checked... even my friends tried, and the problem persists.

If you guys are just being judgemental cos of the rusted strings, I explained my situation, and I can assure you that I'm being absolutely genuine about it...
Also, from what I've read about the Edge III bridge, it's actually a rather difficult bridge to set-up, so I always assumed that as the problem.

I just started the thread cos this is the only guitar I have, and the only guitar I will have for a long time. I just want it to be the best it can be. And with the luthier, friends, etc... telling me to replace parts, etc. on the guitar, thought I should post here for a second opinion, is all.

Please guys, don't be judgemental. I'm absolutely genuine about my case. The problem isn't the fact that these strings are rusted, or whatever.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
lilke

Not being judgemental. You have to understand that it's a fact that old strings can cause intonation problems. This means you can't just ignore the fact that they're old and think that it's not the case.
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
If you guys are just being judgemental cos of the rusted strings

Yeah you're right, we're not telling you the possible cause of your problem, we're just being judgemental
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
nemesis_911
The Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilke
Not being judgemental. You have to understand that it's a fact that old strings can cause intonation problems. This means you can't just ignore the fact that they're old and think that it's not the case.

I didn' ignore the problem of the strings...
But I also kept saying the problem was there even with the new setup and the new strings! :/
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #34
m33sta

Quote:
I didn' ignore the problem of the strings...
But I also kept saying the problem was there even with the new setup and the new strings! :/

you keep saying the luthier set it up, when in fact he didn't because its still crap, I hope you didn't pay him.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #35
HowlerMonkey

Anyone care to explain they physics behind a little rust on strings affecting intonation?
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #36
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
Anyone care to explain they physics behind a little rust on strings affecting intonation?

Rusty strings are kind of like going to a fast food joint and you open up your burger and it smears apart. Its edible and you need to intake calories to sustain life. But the burger Nobody likes that.

New strings are going to a Cheeseburger in Paradise . Everything is perfect. And you enjoy every bite.

Haha
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #37
di$TOrTed

Do you even use the tremolo that much?

I would put wooden blocks in between the bottom of the bridge and the side of the cavity to turn it into a fixed bridge.

The Edge III is made of soft metal and the knife edges wear so fast it can't stay in tune. I bought my RGR320 brand knew and the poor tremolo didn't even hold tune well new. After a week I blocked it off and I love it better now. Fixed bridge with locking nut? It holds tune like crazy.

I'm not expert on setting up guitars but I hope that turned the tremolo into a fixed bridge can help with your intonation problems as well.

All I did was go to the hardware store, buy small, square sticks of wood (felt like thick balsa wood) and I cut it down so it fit down in the spring cavity between the rear of the bridge and the guitar. I then took all but one of the tremolo springs out so that the tension from the springs has the wood sandwiched between the guitar and the bridge. The bridge doesn't budge when playing.
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #38
omnilux

My Edge III stays in tune beautifully.

Then again my strings don't look like they've been soaking in Coca Cola for the last month.
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
HowlerMonkey

Intonation adjustment depends on your ability to change the string length.

If you can't get the length required for proper intonation, you simply won't get it.

If you can't get enough length to keep the fretted note from going sharp at the 12th fret, it can be caused by worn posts, worn tremolo edge, or hogged out post holes............or a badly made guitar.

If your guitar spends any time unstrung, the truss rod will be trying to pull the neck backward........especially if it is unstrung for any length of time or had a pretty tight truss rod adjustment for use with heavy strings.

This could cause the distance from nut to bridge to change whether from the neck itself, the bridge slightly migrating away from the neck, or the neck itself migrating away from the bridge at the neck joint in the case of a bolt-on neck.

It does this because it has no tension on it.

After it is strung again, the pressure will "shorten" the distance but this is not instantaneous so it happens over time.........usually the next couple of days after you set intonation only to find it out of adjustment as the neck take's it's proper "set".

How much time depends on a lot of factors.

A loose neck joint, loose locking nut, hogged out stop piece/trem pivot bolts.....etc could be causing this.

I've taken a guitar out of a case where it sat for 7 years and it was still in tune but did some work that required strings off it for a couple of weeks and I had to re-tune it many times over a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
Rusty strings are kind of like going to a fast food joint and you open up your burger and it smears apart. Its edible and you need to intake calories to sustain life. But the burger Nobody likes that.

New strings are going to a Cheeseburger in Paradise . Everything is perfect. And you enjoy every bite.

Haha

So you're saying you have nothing useful to offer in this thread?

Last edited by HowlerMonkey : 05-25-2013 at 01:06 PM.
HowlerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: